Had Deer Meat For The First Time Today

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
A neighbor was preparing it in a stew of some sort and gave me some. I'm not sure what it's supposed to taste like but it had a strange almost roast beef flavor and a little chewy to boot. Can't say I'd ever eat it again though.

Cookie Monster

One of the cool Kids.
Site Supporter ☠️
Deer meat aka Venison.

Dont think ive had it other than in a Poachers pie. That shits got Venison, rabbit, pigeon, grouse, thick cut bacon and other fowl in a Pork pie type short crust.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
A neighbor was preparing it in a stew of some sort and gave me some. I'm not sure what it's supposed to taste like but it had a strange almost roast beef flavor and a little chewy to boot. Can't say I'd ever eat it again though.

That was the gamey flavor. Some deer are....gamier than others lol.

I live in Michigan so we eat venison often. I soak mine in milk over night before I cook it or store it. Takes that flavor out.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I’m all about game seafood. Clams oysters, crab, mussels and fish

There is an oyster bar in the down area close to here. And my man has never had oysters.

And I've been to this oyster bar many times. It's awesome.

I've been trying to convince him that we should take a date night and go there and then stroll about that down town area. So he was watching videos about how oysters are prepared and how it feels and tastes because he is kind of afraid of them LOL

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
The DNR and CDC usually put out their regulations when hunting season opens up.

Unless you are a hunter, you probably wouldn't know.

Plus the rules change every year almost to accommodate the deer population. Sometimes season opens an extra few months to dwindle the population if it's too big.

The population being too large causes the deer to suffer. They start starving. Passing disease. They get into people's yards and leap in the roads.

Other times there are rules on how you can hunt but pregnant does...or does with fawns, or bucks under like 6 points are off limits.

And all the diseases that can impact the meat are usually well monitored.

BadBrad

Ignore features are for bitches.
☠️
The DNR is pretty good at keeping the populations regulated, we have things like Earnabuck to incentivise shooting females first to reduce population

BadBrad

☠️
CWD is typically spread by the unethical hunting practice of leaving huge piles of corn in fields and then hunting over them. The spittle of so many deer on the food pile (instead of spreading it over a field loosely) contributes to this issue.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
The DNR is pretty good at keeping the populations regulated, we have things like Earnabuck to incentivise shooting females first to reduce population

Yep that happens here too.

One year they opened an archery season at a park called Stoney Creek to get the population under control and they incentivised shooting the does.

Much fussier about the bucks. There are always way more doe than bucks and everyone wants those bucks.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
CWD is typically spread by the unethical hunting practice of leaving huge piles of corn in fields and then hunting over them. The spittle of so many deer on the food pile (instead of spreading it over a field loosely) contributes to this issue.

People do that shit up north all the time. Leave piles of corn and feed. And the deer spread all kinds of gnarly shit.

And they leave feces all over the place.

BadBrad

☠️
One time I shot a deer that had an arrow in it and the whole thing was retarded infected around it's ribs and organs so we only got the tenderloins and the back legs.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
One time I shot a deer that had an arrow in it and the whole thing was retarded infected around it's ribs and organs so we only got the tenderloins and the back legs.

That's sad when that happens.

My oldest daughter was like....16 when she got her first deer. She shot the heart right out of it and it still ran just over a mile.

It took her an hour to find it. Blood splatter in the snow helped.

My second oldest wants to try hunting but I think she's way too....tender lol.

The New Holliday

Now With 25% More Infinity
Site Supporter
LoLz, Brad - nature doesn't need to be regulated. The arrogance of people, really...
.. Animal populations regulate themselves based the ability of the environment to support them.
Hunters use this, we gotta kill em bs to justify their lust for blood and shootin thins.
Don't shoot them and the populations will stabilize among deer just as they do for every other animal species.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
LoLz, Brad - nature doesn't need to be regulated. The arrogance of people, really...
.. Animal populations regulate themselves based the ability of the environment to support them.
Hunters use this, we gotta kill em bs to justify their lust for blood and shootin thins.
Don't shoot them and the populations will stabilize among deer just as they do for every other animal species.

Except they don't regulate themselves. There has to be a balance of prey/predator.

WE are part of that balance. If we stopped being part of nature's balance, well....the populations get out of control and the animals suffer. We see that happen.

I'll take humanely killed meat over the sheer and vile cruelty of meat manufacturers. Do you buy ground beef from grocery stores? Chicken?

Have you seen how those poor creatures are treated?

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

I think the only problem with this theory is that they no longer have enough of their natural predator, the wolf.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I think the only problem with this theory is that they no longer have enough of their natural predator, the wolf.

We are also natural predators.

I hate how that sounds....in the natural balance humans are like the world apex predator.

Wolves are basically gone so we have to step up. Even if they were not, we still need to be hunting wild meat because wolves wouldn't be keeping the population controlled on their own.

All I mean is....we have our place in nature as well.

The New Holliday

Now With 25% More Infinity
Site Supporter
True that they don't have, but we do have coyote and the coydog, and coywolf variations. Here we also have some catamount, and there is still a natural limit to the number of deer or any other critter that a environment will support. I mean, no one is killing Bald Eagles and look how they are ravaging the landscape. You know, anyone ever heard of animal husbandry? And no - it doesn't mean sheep fucking.

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
There is an oyster bar in the down area close to here. And my man has never had oysters.

And I've been to this oyster bar many times. It's awesome.

I've been trying to convince him that we should take a date night and go there and then stroll about that down town area. So he was watching videos about how oysters are prepared and how it feels and tastes because he is kind of afraid of them LOL
I can eat 100 Kumamotos in one sitting