Interesting geneological discoveries

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Anyone do family trees?

I just discovered my 3rd great grandfather in a "non-conformist and non-parochial" registry in Wales. Hahahahaaaa. Even back then, we weren't having any of it!

Anyone have anything to post about your ancestors?

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
My great great grandfather was a proud Confederate Soldier for Virginia!

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I bought one of the home DNA kits last Xmas but still haven't bothered to open it or use it.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Back in the 1990's my aunt paid a researcher to dig through records in the UK and had a family tree constructed that went back to the 1590's. On my mom's side they were able to go back to the 1470's.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
Distantly related to Isaac Newton and a third in line princess to a throne. Also discovered French Canadian and Ashkenazi history that was previously unknown.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
My grandfather came to New York by way of Brazil. He never talked much about it though.

My maternal family came to Detroit from Ireland. Same as my fathers mothers parents. And my paternal grandfathers parents came here (to Detroit) from Germany.

My fathers parents were university professors.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Anyone do family trees?

I just discovered my 3rd great grandfather in a "non-conformist and non-parochial" registry in Wales. Hahahahaaaa. Even back then, we weren't having any of it!

Anyone have anything to post about your ancestors?

Proof that all the crazies & nut bags moved to America, eh? ;-)

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
My grandfather came to New York by way of Brazil. He never talked much about it though.

My maternal family came to Detroit from Ireland. Same as my fathers mothers parents. And my paternal grandfathers parents came here (to Detroit) from Germany.

My fathers parents were university professors.

German & Irish...a lethal combination.

Come ta think of it, yer kinda headstrong, Dovey.

...nice exterior & voice tho.

deport_liberals

Banned
Banned
One side for me is Dutch the other Italian but Norman originally according to legend.

But seriously, there were more nationalities than those two, weren't there?
The Dutch side goes way back. 13th century is the earliest record iirc. Italian side should be much more mixed but they did not have such good records due to the more turbulent history there.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
One side for me is Dutch the other Italian but Norman originally according to legend.

The Dutch side goes way back. 13th century is the earliest record iirc. Italian side should be much more mixed but they did not have such good records due to the more turbulent history there.

When did your Dutch ancestor come to the US, though?

deport_liberals

Banned
Banned

1952...for the first time...

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Seriously? Do you speak Dutch? And whoever was first born in the US, did that person marry a Dutch person?

deport_liberals

Banned
Banned

Seriously? Do you speak Dutch?
No, my mom and uncles know it.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

So your mom married an Italian?

deport_liberals

Banned
Banned
My grandfather joined the foreign service after the war. Was posted in Mexico, Brazil, USA, Ireland, and Iran at various points.

deport_liberals

Banned
Banned

So your mom married an Italian?
By ancestry, I guess, it was my great granddad who left and went to Argentina.

My mum spoke Dutch at home and my dad Spanish growing up.