Microsoft has extended support for Windows 10 until 2028...

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
Lifeline? lol

That's like the Coast Guard Search and Rescue saying "We'll save you from drowning in the Bering Sea until Oct. 25 of 2025, but if you pay us we'll extend that service. If not you're on your own."

OP
OP
RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️
Lifeline? lol

That's like the Coast Guard Search and Rescue saying "We'll save you from drowning in the Bering Sea until Oct. 25 of 2025, but if you pay us we'll extend that service. If not you're on your own."
Folks in Armenia and Colombia are laughing

Over eight years since the end of support date (as of 2024), a large majority of PCs in Armenia still appear to be running Windows XP. Few have also had some significant share, such as Colombia. As of 2024, globally, under 0.6% of Windows PCs and 0.1% of all devices across all platforms continued to run Windows XP

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Well...at least Microsoft supports their OS.

Apple on the other hand releases a new OS every single year & they expect their fan base to keep on buying their PC's every year or 2.

Once a loyal Apple user, I think I might even make the switch to MS (mostly)
I'm getting fed up with Apple quite frankly.

I got one of those older hybrid Mac computers that runs everything natively.

Apple, MS and Linux.

Why buy 3 PCs when you can get everything for the price of 1?

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
At least on the Old Macs, you can install Windows 3, 95, 7, 10 whatever on the same computer.

I got W7 on one hard drive and 10 on the other.

Works great when firing up old software which isn't supported on the other.

Then if I need a Mac version, just using OSx.

Every OS had or has great software which ran/runs on it but not another.

One of its biggest shortcomings about Apple is that it doesn't run a lot of high end software meant for Windows and Windows hardware.

so you have to have that option to switch inta Windows if need be.

I use Apple, but I'm not one of them snobs who thinks I'm too good for Windows and it's beneath me.

Just use whatever the fuck gets the job done - and if somebody pays ya for it, don't think about the OS it runs on. Windows, Linux, Apple whatever.

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
Well...at least Microsoft supports their OS.

Apple on the other hand releases a new OS every single year & they expect their fan base to keep on buying their PC's every year or 2.

Once a loyal Apple user, I think I might even make the switch to MS (mostly)
I'm getting fed up with Apple quite frankly.

I got one of those older hybrid Mac computers that runs everything natively.

Apple, MS and Linux.

Why buy 3 PCs when you can get everything for the price of 1?
Really?! That's absolute greed.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Really?! That's absolute greed.
2012 Mac 12 core Pro with 4 hard drives.

Go look 'em up on eBay.

They can be had for as little as $200 these days.

and you can instal windows, mac and linux on the same machine, put them on separate hard drives.

Might not be for gaming or the latest and greatest if yer making Hollywood movies/soundtracks, but it runs 90% of the stuff out there.

You don't really need a super duper fast computer anyways cuz the Human mind can't think that fast.

The only real advantage of PC's made in 2023/4 is for rendering finished products be it 3d or video. Or crypto mining or running the latest game software.

I can see if yer employed by a Hollywood studio makin' $100 an hour or more but for the average Joe or Jane, a 10 year old computer'll do.

There's no advantage even to w11, and it'll be replaced soon by Windows 12.

Last edited:

cw_

> you
Site Supporter ☠️
Apple is probably on the vanguard when it comes to things like programmed obsolescence and making their devices unrepairable.
I still have an older macbook pro that was purchased in 2015. It is running the current OS and has never needed repair. Also, version updates have always been free.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

$1,175 USD

If that be the case, at today's prices, that's a terrible buy @The Prowler.

Here's another listing for about 1/2 the price:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

It's got less hard drive space and memory but it shouldn't be too much to upgrade and max it out. A smart buyer could probably get that Maxed out version for less than the model you listed.

Interestingly, you can only put 2 TB drives in each empty slot if yer gonna install Windows 7 or 10 on a 2012 mac Pro or else they are automatically partitioned. If you put anything greater it doesn't work when you're installing the OS on them. I know this because i did it myself.

Admittedly I paid quite a bit, but that was before the new M1 Macs came out and rendered the old Intel Macs obsolete.

You could probably get the newer Intel 2019 Mac Pro for quite cheap too.

that's what I'm lookin' at cuz you can run Windows 11 on it in Native speed and its successor Windows 12 which is rumoured to be coming out soon. Apart from using an emulator, Windows 11 doesn't work on the 2012 model because of its lack of EFI support.

I believe the 2019 model has this feature os it can accommodate and natively run the latest version of Windows.

Last edited:

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
A 'smart buyer' wouldn't buy a that. lol, 2012

It runs Windows 10 in Native speed.

A 2012 12 core Xeon chip is still decent in 2024.

Maybe not for Hollywood Production jobs but for the avg consumer its decent.

I think that's what the high end ASUS Windows laptops use, altho admittedly they are more modern and quicker.

Those old 2012 Macs are not that slow at all.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I've paid much less for a newer machine with better specs.
The M1 Mac is faster than the Old Intel computers, but it can't run Windows or Linux software in native speed.

Other than using an emulator, You can't install Linux on a newer M1 Mac.

That's why those old macs were good cuz you could install the 3 major operating systems on them glitch free at native speed. That was like getting 3 computers for the price of 1. even multiple versions of windows too.

OP
OP
RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️
The M1 Mac is faster than the Old Intel computers, but it can't run Windows or Linux software in native speed.

Other than using an emulator, You can't install Linux on a newer M1 Mac.

That's why those old macs were good cuz you could install the 3 major operating systems on them glitch free at native speed. That was like getting 3 computers for the price of 1. even multiple versions of windows too.

Joe

Stop

Ceedoobie is an Apple fan

And nevertheless...

cw_

> you
Site Supporter ☠️
I prefer the windows PC for the available software and tweakability (including open source), but two in 4 of my laptops are apple, and one in 3 of my phones is apple.

cw_

> you
Site Supporter ☠️
I still have an older macbook pro that was purchased in 2015. It is running the current OS and has never needed repair. Also, version updates have always been free.
fbioxDh.jpg