Pero vieja...I am not Mexican

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Spanish and Italian are very similar. My stepfather is from southern Italy and they all speak slang. I’m pretty sure most people from there do.

Psst, don't look now, but some people are bigots in 'Murica...apparently in Canaduh too

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
I went to Canada and was surprised to find everything was in French. I didn’t see people in an uproar over that… maybe it’s because they are mostly white there?

The New Holliday

Now With 25% More Infinity
Site Supporter
It's only in 'Murica where it's bad to speak more than one language.
In the household that I grew up in 3 languages were spoken. What people didn't do is bring it into the workplace or a public setting. In fact (I wasn't there, of course) but in both my mom's and father's, when they were kids, no one spoke anything other than English at the dinner table - reason, because they were learning that language spoken in the country and the culture - not trying to supplant it. They were grateful for the opportunity they had in the USA, and wanted to be part of it, not separate as so many hispanics do. I worked with a hispanic guy who had been with the company for over 20 years and refused to speak English so that whenever he needed to be spoken to a translator had to be summoned. Don't ask me why he was allowed to get away with that shit. I mean - do you think that an English speaking person should feel so entitled as to go work in another country, and not speak the native language? How do you suppose that would go over? In the company that I retired from, which was French owned, and many of the people there of all ranks were French speakers it was company policy that only English be spoken. The reason is obvious - it's a business where people need to communicate effectively in a common language. That's just common sense.
I think in the USA about 120 languages are spoken. Do you think the native population should have to learn 120 languages to accommodate immigrant people, or that immigrant people should need to learn and speak the native language?

Reactions: X
OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
In the household that I grew up in 3 languages were spoken. What people didn't do is bring it into the workplace or a public setting. In fact (I wasn't there, of course) but in both my mom's and father's, when they were kids, no one spoke anything other than English at the dinner table - reason, because they were learning that language spoken in the country and the culture - not trying to supplant it. They were grateful for the opportunity they had in the USA, and wanted to be part of it, not separate as so many hispanics do. I worked with a hispanic guy who had been with the company for over 20 years and refused to speak English so that whenever he needed to be spoken to a translator had to be summoned. Don't ask me why he was allowed to get away with that shit. I mean - do you think that an English speaking person should feel so entitled as to go work in another country, and not speak the native language? How do you suppose that would go over? In the company that I retired from, which was French owned, and many of the people there of all ranks were French speakers it was company policy that only English be spoken. The reason is obvious - it's a business where people need to communicate effectively in a common language. That's just common sense.
I think in the USA about 120 languages are spoken. Do you think the native population should have to learn 120 languages to accommodate immigrant people, or that immigrant people should need to learn and speak the native language?
I live in a free country. I don't know, or care to know, the bigoted era you grew up in.

• LOL
OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
And this is why there isn't peace on the world and there is nothing but strife. Tribalism and the control of the "other".

People who aren't accepting of difference and the humanity of those that are different.

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
Spanish and Italian are very similar. My stepfather is from southern Italy and they all speak slang. I’m pretty sure most people from there do.
Please reread the post to which you replied.
.I once had made a character called Guido BadaBOOM! to illustrated the very point of how irritating it is for native Americans to hear gutter language. Everyone (almost) complained about the dez and doz of it entirely missing the point that it's the same as the irritation felt when hispanics speak their crappy language. It was pretty funny to see the lack of self awareness and hypocrisy.

Last edited:

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
And this is why there isn't peace on the world and there is nothing but strife. Tribalism and the control of the "other".

People who aren't accepting of difference and the humanity of those that are different.
Tower of Babel in the name of FREEDUMB !
.. Sounds so MAGA.

You see it isn't about differences or bigotry, it's about unity and cooperation and living in a cohesive society where people aren't marginalized and remaining separate by force or desire.

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
.I once had made a character called Guido BadaBOOM! to illustrated the very point of how irritating it is for native Americans to here gutter language. Everyone (almost) complained about the dez and doz of it entirely missing the point that it's the same as the irritation felt when hispanics speak their crappy language. It was pretty funny to see the lack of self awareness and hypocrisy.
Oh, come on, Oak - you loved Guido.

6a0120a51d52b4970b0120a6affa2b970c-250wi

Basically no dif between him and your melonhead fast food joint bagboy.

• LOL

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
Guido's problem was the attitude. Huffing and puffing, apparently it is a layer of your own personality.

Frankly, I don't care for the Guido I see in you.
Guido isn't me - he was a character created as an illustration - just as explained. I see you aren't actually reading my post, just reacting emotionally/non-intellectually. Answer some of the questions I posed instead of making unfounded accusations.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
.I once had made a character called Guido BadaBOOM! to illustrated the very point of how irritating it is for native Americans to here gutter language. Everyone (almost) complained about the dez and doz of it entirely missing the point that it's the same as the irritation felt when hispanics speak their crappy language. It was pretty funny to see the lack of self awareness and hypocrisy.

I’m responding to your response to my post in which you veered off with a reference to Italian here…

I’m merely stating a fact that the majority of Italians here speak slang too.

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
I’m responding to your response to my post in which you veered off with a reference to Italian here…

I’m merely stating a fact that the majority of Italians here speak slang too.
And you receive my reply to that (a reply that was made in effect many years earlier). Hey I can't wait to hear that new opera in hispanglish. LoLz.

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
Vancouver. I drove across the border from Seattle, WA.
Well, you're better informed than the experts.

Overall, you'll find that Vancouver is as English speaking as any other major North American city outside Quebec. There is minimal French spoken except for within the small and shrinking Francophone community. Nevertheless, there are some big advantages to being able to speak French and English in Vancouver.
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Guido isn't me - he was a character created as an illustration - just as explained. I see you aren't actually reading my post, just reacting emotionally/non-intellectually. Answer some of the questions I posed instead of making unfounded accusations.

He is definitely a part of you. I see it clearly. He'd been dormant for quite some time. But he's always there inside of you. He's reared his ugly head again, much to my disappointment.

• LOL

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
And you receive my reply to that (a reply that was made in effect many years earlier). Hey I can't wait to hear that new opera in hispanglish. LoLz.

Not really. I’m just saying that when I took Italian in 8th grade, it was clear that most people didn’t speak proper Italian. They are successful famous steak house owners where people like Howard Hughes frequented and where Jamie Lee Curtis can still be seen having dinner with her family… so their slang isn’t stopping them from anything.

On that same note… I also saw major differences between how my grand’s British highbrow differed from cockney.

My Norwegian grandmother was also 1st gen here and ESL in kindergarten. She use to rattle off in Norwegian and no one had any clue what she was saying lol

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
Well, you're better informed than the experts.

Overall, you'll find that Vancouver is as English speaking as any other major North American city outside Quebec. There is minimal French spoken except for within the small and shrinking Francophone community. Nevertheless, there are some big advantages to being able to speak French and English in Vancouver.

I was there for 2 days. I’d hardly say my comment implied they all speak French. Most of the signs and menus were in both French and English. It was like Los Angeles having things in both Spanish and English.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
All Spaniards, not hispanic.

Hispanic implies they are from the Island of Hispaniola which is now the Dominican Republic and Haiti.

I say this on good authority that they (non European brown skinned people) prefer to be called Latino/Latina/LatinX because they are from Latin America. Latino is broader than Hispanic and a much more accurate depiction.

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
He is definitely a part of you. I see it clearly. He'd been dormant for quite some time. But he's always there inside of you. He's reared his ugly head again, much to my disappointment.
Nope - but I lived in the area of the Sopranos as you know so I was well familiar with it and could easily symulate an exaggerated imitation. If you don't want to answer my questions rather than get all hyperemotional then at least stop with the bs accusations. You see it's the primitive machoism that's the same, and that's what I was commenting on.

Last edited:

X

xXx
Site Supporter
I went to Canada and was surprised to find everything was in French. I didn’t see people in an uproar over that… maybe it’s because they are mostly white there?
French is not everywhere ..it's written everywhere but not spoken...

X

xXx
Site Supporter
I live in a free country. I don't know, or care to know, the bigoted era you grew up in.
what about if you can shelve your anger and address the customer is always right issue ... and if that dude treated all customers the way he handled those woman whats the point ?no one will ever come there cept spanish people ...

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
Well… I am going to point out that impersonating anyone outside of your race in a stereotypical manner is derogatory. It’s the equivalent of saying all Latinos are gang members, which they aren’t. I’m sure the people who have moved here to become American would prefer to not be affiliated with that.