The Land Between, Who holds title to the land of Canaan?

Admin.

I aim to be smugly pedantic, or vice verse.
Site Supporter ☠️
A lengthy but interesting read, if you're into that sort of thing.

I went to the crossroad, fell down on my knees
Asked the Lord above, "Have mercy, now, save poor Bob if you please"

Yeah, standin' at the crossroad, tried to flag a ride
Ooh-ee, I tried to flag a ride
Didn't nobody seem to know me, babe, everybody pass me by

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
A lengthy but interesting read, if you're into that sort of thing.

Asked the Lord above, "Have mercy, now, save poor Bob if you please"

Yeah, standin' at the crossroad, tried to flag a ride
Ooh-ee, I tried to flag a ride
Didn't nobody seem to know me, babe, everybody pass me by

Interesting that a large part of the population came from the Caucuses. Is this saying that the people that became Jews/Israelis aren't originally from the land between?

"Finally, we show that the genomes of present-day groups geographically and historically linked to the Bronze Age Levant, including the great majority of present-day Jewish groups and Levantine Arabic-speaking groups, are consistent with having 50% or more of their ancestry from people related to groups who lived in the Bronze Age Levant and the Chalcolithic Zagros."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Admin.

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️
I'll reread tomorrow, but what got out of it was that the Jews and Palestinians are closely related genetically*, but the Jews being more to the north of the region mixed with peoples of the north so had more genes from there. and the Palestinians being more south had more African Arab genes.

*Because of being based on the same dominant root gene pool.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Admin.

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️
A snippet from another source discussing the language of the region

The ancient pre-Israelite Canaanites inhabited a region variously defined in historical and religious writings but it is always centered on Palestine. The names Canaan and Canaanite occur in cuneiform, Egyptian and Phoenician writings from about the 15th century BC as well as in the Old Testament. In these sources, “Canaan” refers sometimes to an area encompassing all of Palestine and Syria, sometimes only to the land west of the Jordan River and sometimes just to a strip of coastal land from Acre (ʿAkko) northward. The Canaanites are broadly defined to include the Israelites (including Judeans and Samaritans), Phoenicians (including parts of Carthaginians), Amorites, Ammonites, Moabites, Edomites, Suteans, Ekronites and Amalekites.

The languages or dialects of Canaan are one of the three subgroups of the Northwest Semitic languages, the others being Aramaic and Amorite. They were spoken by the ancient Semitic inhabitants of the Canaan and Levant regions, an area encompassing what is today Israel, Jordan, Sinai, Lebanon, Syria, the Palestinian territories and also some fringe areas of southern Turkey and the northern Arabian Peninsula.