The nature of human nature

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
I think that people only care about themselves and it’s a form of self-preservation. I think that most of us suffer from generational trauma and my fellow spiritual dwellers believe our ancestor trauma is hardwired into our dna. I wouldn’t doubt it. It’s scary how broken some individuals are especially the ones you come across on obscure message forums.

We can heal or we can bleed out our trauma on one another… resulting in more and more trauma that perpetuates this vicious cycle further.

Greed is the worst part of human nature. The poor and working class are not the problem, it’s our inability to suffice the rich.

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Whether we're talking politics or a "competition" between two forums, what we're really addressing is human nature.

I'd like this to be the thread where we have that conversation. I believe it matters.

I'll go first. I think human nature has been hardwired into our brains by evolution and human survival. I know we can be empathetic, kind, and cooperative beings. I also know can be violent, greedy and unkind beings. The 20th century was ostensibly a century where we were trying to work out our most base instincts, especially the first half. We had a chance, still do actually, to decide what we want to be.

Our big brains, as far as creatures on this planet go, can allow us to move toward a better future. It takes a lot of work and we have a long way to go. We're at an inflection point...can we conquer the most base instincts of our nature?

What do you think?

Humans are incapable of changing their nature.... Nature is going to change people, its called floods, fires, droughts, volcanic erruptions, war, and pestilence... not necessarily in that order.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Humans are incapable of changing their nature.... Nature is going to change people, its called floods, fires, droughts, volcanic erruptions, war, and pestilence... not necessarily in that order.

You think?

I see all that just egging on the corrupt human drive to seize and assert power and resources over others.

Like how covid was the reason for the authoritarian power grabs.

Disaster is a good catalyst for the tyrants to come promising safety at a cost.

We COULD have a more eco friendly existence if the elites were not all about power and wealth.

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
You think?

I see all that just egging on the corrupt human drive to seize and assert power and resources over others.

Like how covid was the reason for the authoritarian power grabs.

Disaster is a good catalyst for the tyrants to come promising safety at a cost.

We COULD have a more eco friendly existence if the elites were not all about power and wealth.

The elements have gotten on top of us. You are still somewhat insulated in the USA....BUT the famines are raging in Africa and Asia....Europe is heading into winter and many will freeze to death because the war Russia illegally caused war will affect them.

Tyrants as you call them are here one minute and gone the next. You have to look at the big picture. With the weather so bad, crops failing is a HUGE global problem. It won't take long to starve us.

Last edited:

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
The elements have gotten on top of us. You are still somewhat insulated in the USA....BUT the famines are raging in Africa and Asia....Europe is heading into winter and many will freeze to death because the war Russia illegally caused will effect them.

Tyrants as you call them are here one minute and gone the next. You have to look at the big picture. With the weather so bad, crops failing is a HUGE global problem. It won't take long to starve us.

We are border lining nuclear war, Cas.

There is not really much we can do about any of it except plan and be prepared for the worst.

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The opening post in this thread is really about philosophy ...

we don't really have a philosphy section here...

Flea loves philosophy. I met her on our MSN philosophy groups.

Last edited:

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
We are border lining nuclear war, Cas.

There is not really much we can do about any of it except plan and be prepared for the worst.

You won't have to worry about nuclear in the USA Dovey,... you might get many millions refuging from Sth America,...

that'll be where your system buckles somewhat.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
The opening post in this thread is really about philosophy ...

we don't really have a philosphy section here...

Flea loves philoophy. I met her on our MSN philosophy groups.

Human nature is corrupt and we can so easily be consumed with our pride, and greed and the human drive for power and control.

The founders of the US understood this very well and that's why we have our checks and balances ....our constitution and bill of rights.

It's exactly why we have inalienable rights given to use by a creator. Because if humans are the ones who grant our rights, humans can remove them.

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Human nature is corrupt and we can so easily be consumed with our pride, and greed and the human drive for power and control.

The founders of the US understood this very well and that's why we have our checks and balances ....our constitution and bill of rights.

It's exactly why we have inalienable rights given to use by a creator. Because if humans are the ones who grant our rights, humans can remove them.

It's all about surving MENTALLY about what is coming towards us. How to stay sane from the endless threats we face. For the young its about jobs and family... for the older its about sickness and death....

So gear up your laughing chops and smile more...

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Whether we're talking politics or a "competition" between two forums, what we're really addressing is human nature.

I'd like this to be the thread where we have that conversation. I believe it matters.

I'll go first. I think human nature has been hardwired into our brains by evolution and human survival. I know we can be empathetic, kind, and cooperative beings. I also know can be violent, greedy and unkind beings. The 20th century was ostensibly a century where we were trying to work out our most base instincts, especially the first half. We had a chance, still do actually, to decide what we want to be.

Our big brains, as far as creatures on this planet go, can allow us to move toward a better future. It takes a lot of work and we have a long way to go. We're at an inflection point...can we conquer the most base instincts of our nature?

What do you think?

Garraty_47

Mutants Rule!
Site Supporter
"Tackling our baser instincts" isn't as big a problem as it's made out to be.

It's commonly used as an excuse to be a sociopath and almost everyone else plays along because they kinda want to be a sociopath too, at least for a little while.

The motivators that actually cause most of the problems blamed on "base instincts" are cruelty and greed.

It's not our glands fucking everything up...
...it's our avarice and vindictiveness.

Garraty_47

Mutants Rule!
Site Supporter
I got past it by simply not being a sociopath.
By continuously examining my past and present behavior and attitudes in the light of new data or epiphanies.

How you "get past" it is up to you.

Beyond that? Hell if I know.
This is the kind of thing every individual works out (or not) for themselves.

We can personally decide not to elevate and/or aggrandize sociopaths but it's not entirely up to us, is it? Being part of a society means sometimes not (or in my case: rarely) agreeing with the general consensus.

As long as enough people don't see anything wrong with certain attitudes, behaviors, etc. then there's no incentive for their practitioners to fundamentally change. Especially if they're not only tolerated but literally rewarded for being sociopaths and encouraged to stay the way they are.

If you or I or anyone else has already done that work it isn't those people who need to "get past" anything.

It's the others who still have a job to do.

Or not. Probably not.
Humans are, after all, the worst animals on this planet.

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

What do you think?

I think you should define what "better future," you are talking about.

What does a better future look like to you?

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️
Humanity keeps leaving the most important constants ou of the equation

Believing that we're gonna succeed using only our own devices is foolish

All you need to see is that many people, even with all the comfort and safety money can offer, are still unhappy and doing stupid shit.

We keep searching for answers on the outside while completely ignoring that we should be looking inside ourselves.

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I got past it by simply not being a sociopath.
By continuously examining my past and present behavior and attitudes in the light of new data or epiphanies.

How you "get past" it is up to you.

Beyond that? Hell if I know.
This is the kind of thing every individual works out (or not) for themselves.

We can personally decide not to elevate and/or aggrandize sociopaths but it's not entirely up to us, is it? Being part of a society means sometimes not (or in my case: rarely) agreeing with the general consensus.

As long as enough people don't see anything wrong with certain attitudes, behaviors, etc. then there's no incentive for their practitioners to fundamentally change. Especially if they're not only tolerated but literally rewarded for being sociopaths and encouraged to stay the way they are.

If you or I or anyone else has already done that work it isn't those people who need to "get past" anything.

It's the others who still have a job to do.

Or not. Probably not.
Humans are, after all, the worst animals on this planet.

Next to Racoons

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
I just now read this thread.

It would appear human nature has struck again.

The Selfish Gene fares poorly on planet Connectus.

cw_

> you
Site Supporter ☠️
I think it was duplicated instead of being moved?
Some of the posts anyway, not the entire thread.

I'm okay with moving the discussion if others are okay with it.
I'm not okay with it. I require an entirely new thread in the images forum with lots of cat pics.