The nature of human nature - Meltdown

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Whether we're talking politics or a "competition" between two forums, what we're really addressing is human nature.

I'd like this to be the thread where we have that conversation. I believe it matters.

I'll go first. I think human nature has been hardwired into our brains by evolution and human survival. I know we can be empathetic, kind, and cooperative beings. I also know can be violent, greedy and unkind beings. The 20th century was ostensibly a century where we were trying to work out our most base instincts, especially the first half. We had a chance, still do actually, to decide what we want to be.

Our big brains, as far as creatures on this planet go, can allow us to move toward a better future. It takes a lot of work and we have a long way to go. We're at an inflection point...can we conquer the most base instincts of our nature?

What do you think?

Garraty_47

Mutants Rule!
Site Supporter
"Tackling our baser instincts" isn't as big a problem as it's made out to be.

It's commonly used as an excuse to be a sociopath and almost everyone else plays along because they kinda want to be a sociopath too, at least for a little while.

The motivators that actually cause most of the problems blamed on "base instincts" are cruelty and greed.

It's not our glands fucking everything up...
...it's our avarice and vindictiveness.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
"Tackling our baser instincts" isn't as big a problem as it's made out to be.

It's commonly used as an excuse to be a sociopath and almost everyone else plays along because they kinda want to be a sociopath too, at least for a little while.

The motivators that actually cause most of the problems blamed on "base instincts" are cruelty and greed.

It's not our glands fucking everything up...
...it's our avarice and vindictiveness.

We agree on the negatives. How do we get past this problem?

Garraty_47

Mutants Rule!
Site Supporter
We agree on the negatives. How do we get past this problem?

I got past it by simply not being a sociopath.
By continuously examining my past and present behavior and attitudes in the light of new data or epiphanies.

How you "get past" it is up to you.

Beyond that? Hell if I know.
This is the kind of thing every individual works out (or not) for themselves.

We can personally decide not to elevate and/or aggrandize sociopaths but it's not entirely up to us, is it? Being part of a society means sometimes not (or in my case: rarely) agreeing with the general consensus.

As long as enough people don't see anything wrong with certain attitudes, behaviors, etc. then there's no incentive for their practitioners to fundamentally change. Especially if they're not only tolerated but literally rewarded for being sociopaths and encouraged to stay the way they are.

If you or I or anyone else has already done that work it isn't those people who need to "get past" anything.

It's the others who still have a job to do.

Or not. Probably not.
Humans are, after all, the worst animals on this planet.

Flynn

Lion Heart Diva
Whether we're talking politics or a "competition" between two forums, what we're really addressing is human nature.

I'd like this to be the thread where we have that conversation. I believe it matters.

I'll go first. I think human nature has been hardwired into our brains by evolution and human survival. I know we can be empathetic, kind, and cooperative beings. I also know can be violent, greedy and unkind beings. The 20th century was ostensibly a century where we were trying to work out our most base instincts, especially the first half. We had a chance, still do actually, to decide what we want to be.

Our big brains, as far as creatures on this planet go, can allow us to move toward a better future. It takes a lot of work and we have a long way to go. We're at an inflection point...can we conquer the most base instincts of our nature?

What do you think?
***Sigh***

Hi, Lily!

Why would you post this in Meltdown? It seems you want cerebral conversation. Why not post this in "General Topic"s? Or in a forum where it won't get molested by a Dilf Scat picture?

Master Pu

I'll Funk You Up!
perpetuate
verb
per·pet·u·ate | \ pər-ˈpe-chə-ˌwāt \
perpetuated; perpetuating
Definition of perpetuate
transitive verb

: to make perpetual or cause to last indefinitely

Garraty_47

Mutants Rule!
Site Supporter
***Sigh***

Hi, Lily!

Why would you post this in Meltdown? It seems you want cerebral conversation. Why not post this in "General Topic"s? Or in a forum where it won't get molested by a Dilf Scat picture?

Meh. It happens.
Ive been guilty myself of expecting this sub to be more than a race to see which mangy mutt can drag his or her ass across the carpet the fastest. The fact that I've almost entirely given up on those expectations and the plethora of skid marks underfoot can testify to how *that* turned out.

The best way to learn something is to experience it.
Just let Lily have this experience. It'll build character or whatever consolation people use these days on folk who are having a "why the fuck did I do that?" moment.

I almost unironically typed 'then again maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised by the results' but the momentary insanity passed, leaving me chuckling and shaking my head. I believe that's how I'll know I'm truly getting old and losing my faculties: those kinds of mistakes won't be detected and stifled immediately.

Something to look forward to, I suppose.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
***Sigh***

Hi, Lily!

So, it would be seen. I plan on ignoring the trolls/flames.

Flynn

Lion Heart Diva
Meh. It happens.
Ive been guilty myself of expecting this sub to be more than a race to see which mangy mutt can drag his or her ass across the carpet the fastest. The fact that I've almost entirely given up on those expectations and the plethora of skid marks underfoot can testify to how *that* turned out.

The best way to learn something is to experience it.
Just let Lily have this experience. It'll build character or whatever consolation people use these days on folk who are having a "why the fuck did I do that?" moment.

I almost unironically typed 'then again maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised by the results' but the momentary insanity passed, leaving me chuckling and shaking my head. I believe that's how I'll know I'm truly getting old and losing my faculties: those kinds of mistakes won't be detected and stifled immediately.

Something to look forward to, I suppose.
So. "You've done it before?" You "expect" more from a bunch of mentally unhinged fuckwits that are allowed to roam freely? You are a gigantic fucking dipshit that needs to lose that "all peoples is goodz insides!" fairy tale.

Lily doesn't need to "learn" the consequences of posting in a wrong forum. She has all the "experience" when she was "flagging" posts at like a supersonic level that BF's mailbox server charged him for the extra bandwidth needed to contain all the posts Lily flagged. This is what brought on the great Politics War in Meltdown.

Boy. You are optimistic about the retards around here. You think something like Admin or SemenMajor is going to surprise you one day by posting up a thought that doesn't scream of straight suck? Yeah. Right.

Aylana

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Saying it would be seen in Meltdown implies that no one reads the other subforums on this forum and the main draw of The Bastard Factory is acting like fucking morons all day...that about correct?

Flynn

Lion Heart Diva
Saying it would be seen in Meltdown implies that no one reads the other subforums on this forum and the main draw of The Bastard Factory is acting like fucking morons all day...that about correct?
And you can go somewhere away from me please? Aren't you late being the Perez Hilton of forums?

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
So. "You've done it before?" You "expect" more from a bunch of mentally unhinged fuckwits that are allowed to roam freely? You are a gigantic fucking dipshit that needs to lose that "all peoples is goodz insides!" fairy tale.

Lily doesn't need to "learn" the consequences of posting in a wrong forum. She has all the "experience" when she was "flagging" posts at like a supersonic level that BF's mailbox server charged him for the extra bandwidth needed to contain all the posts Lily flagged. This is what brought on the great Politics War in Meltdown.

Boy. You are optimistic about the retards around here. You think something like Admin or SemenMajor is going to surprise you one day by posting up a thought that doesn't scream of straight suck? Yeah. Right.

The war over politics started the minute the SG tards like Biggie, Dove, and Lokmar came over here. If you don't know that Biggie's thing has always been to start wars in Politics, you don't know what the fuck is going on. It was his and Dove's entire troll. People like Aryan, Blazor and a few others fell in line, the little goosesteppers.

Additionally, politics is also in Sweatshop, so it doesn't protect the thread whether it's in political vs meltdown sub.

That was also another part of the problem.

Garraty_47

Mutants Rule!
Site Supporter

You misunderstand.
I come to those little experiments from the other direction:
My estimation of humans as a whole is so dismally uncomplimentary that it's inevitable I'm proven wrong now and then. Not often, otherwise I'd have already revised the unflattering opinion of my fellow shaved apes, but it does happen. I *like* being pleasantly surprised; it's like a rare treat that just randomly appears next to me when I'm not looking.

So of course I facilitate it by giving the monkeys a chance to do more than pant-hoot and thump their chests.

Not because I always expect a treat... because every so often I do get one.

Granted, those particular apes are probably never going to manage a display of more intelligence than, say, the average orangutan. But they're not the only apes in this cage. If we were to treat everyone here as if they were no more sentient than DoOF, the bottom of BF's evolutionary barrel, there would hardly be any point in trying to communicate at all, really.

Optimism has got nothing to do with it.
It's simple math:
The law of averages says eventually, even if only by accident, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Without those moments I'd have given up on humanity years ago.

Flynn

Lion Heart Diva
The war over politics started the minute the SG tards like Biggie, Dove, and Lokmar came over here. If you don't know that Biggie's thing has always been to start wars in Politics, you don't know what the fuck is going on. It was his and Dove's entire troll. People like Aryan, Blazor and a few others fell in line, the little goosesteppers.

Additionally, politics is also in Sweatshop, so it doesn't protect the thread whether it's in political vs meltdown sub.

This would explain how you turned on Breakdick sooo fast.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

So basically the "wars" start when people outside your bubble start challenging your views.

That's what you are saying.

Because when you are rude and demanding.....you only approve of people who tolerate that.

Also myself and everyone you listed was here BEFORE you and you showed up and started picking fights and being a fucking fartknocker.

Bastard Factory

Chairman of the Bored
Administrator

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I thought you would move the whole thread because Murdy' post should go there too.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
You think?

I see all that just egging on the corrupt human drive to seize and assert power and resources over others.

Like how covid was the reason for the authoritarian power grabs.

Disaster is a good catalyst for the tyrants to come promising safety at a cost.

We COULD have a more eco friendly existence if the elites were not all about power and wealth.
Those damned elites.

They ruin everything.

Blandscape

Factory Bastard
By continuously examining my past and present behavior and attitudes in the light of new data or epiphanies.

We can personally decide not to elevate and/or aggrandize sociopaths but it's not entirely up to us, is it? Being part of a society means sometimes not (or in my case: rarely) agreeing with the general consensus.

As long as enough people don't see anything wrong with certain attitudes, behaviors, etc. then there's no incentive for their practitioners to fundamentally change. Especially if they're not only tolerated but literally rewarded for being sociopaths and encouraged to stay the way they are.

If you or I or anyone else has already done that work it isn't those people who need to "get past" anything.

Or not. Probably not.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
So basically the "wars" start when people outside your bubble start challenging your views.

That's what you are saying.

Because when you are rude and demanding.....you only approve of people who tolerate that.

Also myself and everyone you listed was here BEFORE you and you showed up and started picking fights and being a fucking fartknocker.

Hey, if you don't recall,you people were here first. You didn't burst my "bubble".

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Or not. Probably not.

Social evolution is the way, interpersonal and intrapersonal. It's a slow process and I predict we will not live to see significant progress.

Not to say humans haven't made great strides, we have. It just takes generation upon generation to move forward. Currently, we are in a place where some groups want to move back. It's counter-intuitive and problematic.

Patience "grasshopper" is the only option.