What are you doing this Weekend?

Sharona

white wine divorcee
I should probably walk 4 blocks and do laundry.
I seem to only do this every other month anymore.

CorsetKat

Factory Feline
Site Supporter
Yeah, I'm allergic to mosquitoes and they bite me as much as they can without exploding. I can be covered up to my nose and wake up with huge welts all over my face, and usually an arm that snuck out. They welt up, turn bright red, are huge, and last weeks. They oftentimes bruise as well.

It looks like I went to a batting cage and asked to be the target.

Mona

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Yeah, I'm allergic to mosquitoes and they bite me as much as they can without exploding. I can be covered up to my nose and wake up with huge welts all over my face, and usually an arm that snuck out. They welt up, turn bright red, are huge, and last weeks. They oftentimes bruise as well.

It looks like I went to a batting cage and asked to be the target.

Citronella oil deters mosquitos. And, funnily enough, they seem to be attracted to blue. So sit near someone wearing blue and they'll eat them instead.

My mum and I were always the only ones at a BBQ to be munched upon by the mosquitos. Didn't matter what we did. Apparently, our blood was particularly tasty and alluring to the blighters. Luckily, not allergic to them, though. Just get little lumps that itch, but licking the end of your finger and rubbing saliva on it stops the itch better than scratching does.

My cousin is allergic though, and she used to swell up in horrid welts and lumps. So you have my sympathy.

Gyroscope

OmniPoster
Site Supporter
The mosquitoes around here get bad enough that we have our property sprayed every summer. Every year the first cases of EEE and West Nile Virus make the news. Normally they don’t bother me too much though, more annoying than anything.

Ticks are also super bad this year. I hike fairly often but it doesn’t seem worth the risk at this point. I got Lyme disease last year, pretty sure I got the tick from the park near my house. This year apparently we’re getting the ticks that make you allergic to red meat. Hell no.

And fuck chiggers too.

Mona

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Our government claims that Lyme disease doesn't exist in Australia. But there are people who have all the symptoms to it and are being told they can't possibly have it because our ticks don't have it. How badly did you get it? It can be so debilitating and have long term effects, and repercussions.

They seem to worry more about Ross River Fever here... it's transmitted by mosquito bite and causes:
Joint inflammation and pain, fatigue and muscle aches are the usual symptoms of Ross River virus disease. Many infected people also develop a rash.

Longinus

No One Sings Me Lullabyes
☠️
My female bought me some Booker's bourbon (128 proof) and a couple of cigars for father's day. Smoking and drinking is in order.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
The mosquitoes around here get bad enough that we have our property sprayed every summer. Every year the first cases of EEE and West Nile Virus make the news. Normally they don’t bother me too much though, more annoying than anything.

Ticks are also super bad this year. I hike fairly often but it doesn’t seem worth the risk at this point. I got Lyme disease last year, pretty sure I got the tick from the park near my house. This year apparently we’re getting the ticks that make you allergic to red meat. Hell no.

And fuck chiggers too.

Found a tic on me yesterday after a hike. Hiked up to Roaring Run waterfall.

Gyroscope

OmniPoster
Site Supporter
Our government claims that Lyme disease doesn't exist in Australia. But there are people who have all the symptoms to it and are being told they can't possibly have it because our ticks don't have it. How badly did you get it? It can be so debilitating and have long term effects, and repercussions.

They seem to worry more about Ross River Fever here... it's transmitted by mosquito bite and causes:
Joint inflammation and pain, fatigue and muscle aches are the usual symptoms of Ross River virus disease. Many infected people also develop a rash.

I don't think there are any lasting effects. I returned home from a weekend camping trip in Maine and was planning on enjoying the rest of the week at home(cashed in all my vacation days at once). I get home and I feel really tired and lethargic, no appetite. I assumed this was either due to me suddenly trying to quit smoking cold turkey, depression, working nights and not taking care of myself, etc. I had found a tick on me about a month prior but a month seems like a long time to go without showing symptoms so Lyme wasn't even on my mind. Eventually that progressed to muscle weakness, nausea, headaches, and I was getting alternating chills and hot flashes. I remember sitting in my dark bedroom, wrapped in a heavy blanket with the A/C blasting at the same time, just miserable. I resorted to showering like twice a day just to stop smelling like sweat. During one of the showers I noticed this fucking behemoth of a rash:

3gPL1hb.jpg

It was like 5 inches across, and definitely wasn't there the day before. My girlfriend made me go to the ER. They didn't even do any tests on me, when I showed them they were just like "Oh, yeah, that's Lyme". I mentioned having a lump near my groin, turns out my lymph nodes were super swollen. They gave me doxycycline, horrible shit. I guess it's used as a preventative for malaria and is also used to treat several venereal diseases. Powerful stuff basically. I had to take it twice daily, and if you lay down after taking it you'll vomit. It also causes sensitivity to sunlight. I remember walking across the parking lot of my work at dawn to go home and just that short walk was enough to make me feel sick. I stopped taking them about ten days in because I got one lodged in my throat or windpipe or something. It wasn't obstructing my breathing at all but if I left it there, according to the internet, it would burn a hole in my throat or something. I spent a while trying to give myself the Heimlich with a chair, hacking, coughing, dry heaving, and sticking my fingers down my throat before I was able to get it to come up. I had like two days worth of pills left so I just said fuck it. The pills made me feel better after like two days, and the rash was gone after like four or five.

As far as I know I'm okay now though?

Found a tic on me yesterday after a hike. Hiked up to Roaring Run waterfall.
Roaring Run looks like a pretty place. There aren't really any waterfalls near me, I'm too close to the coast I think.

Mona

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
That certainly doesn't sound like a pleasant experience Gyro. I think the problem here is that Lyme disease doesn't get treated, because they won't acknowledge it as a possibility, so it becomes a long term issue. You seem to have been lucky with your recovery as many people can be sick for years with chronic fatigue from a bout of it.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
Roaring Run looks like a pretty place. There aren't really any waterfalls near me, I'm too close to the coast I think.

I've got several near me. Apple Orchard Falls 200', Cascade Falls 68', Crabtree Falls 1,200', Roaring Run is 75'. There are others, but those are the ones I've been to. Here is Roaring Run....

Roaring_Run_13.jpg

Mona

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Took my kids out with my bestie, her OH, kids, and my dad on Saturday night. Lots of baby snuggles with the newest edition. Then the kids and I went back to her place to hang out for the night. The kids played fortnite and I had more baby snuggles and a good catchup and coffee with her mama. This morning I got called into work due to a staff member having a death in her family and did an extra shift. So now, I'm relaxing with the laptop and the internet and a hot cup of tea.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
Buried a broken ho in the garden, drank some whiskey, and listened to Hank Sr...

offwidthe

Professional Yeti Hunter
Site Supporter
Going to Mormonlandia to deal with legal shit and to work.....as a Jewish Carpenter.

THROB

Factory Bastard
I'll be going job hunting for at least an hour on Saturday and probably take some more photos of mundane shit around the house.

aunty mabels cuntwash

acquiring filth
Working on some recordings mostly, doing a live gig on the sunday and painting a neighbour's decking. Oh, and poking my head in here every now and again, can't forget that.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
Cleaning house, grocery shopping, changing my oil on the Jeep, drinking tonight, might go hiking tomorrow.

offwidthe

Professional Yeti Hunter
Site Supporter
Climbing and possibly boating if this storm drops some more water into the creeks.

Mona

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Worked all day on Saturday, conducting multiple interviews to find new staff for our store. Then dressed up a little (leather skirt, heels, and a velvet print chiffon top), and met some school friends for a birthday dinner. After which I went to my bestie's for the tail end of her birthday gathering and to stay the night and go shopping with her and the bubba on Sunday, for her birthday on Monday. I helped her pick out two dresses. And had lots of baby snuggles. Now really grateful that I don't have an early start on Monday (at least not at work) because I'm exhausted.

Sharona

white wine divorcee
Trying to figure out my new phone. No clue.
Going to see MOMMA MIA 2!!!
people watch at hyatt square

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
Going to the Drive-In Saturday, they playing the new Jurassic World, and Skyscraper, only $6. The food is cheap and good too, I'll eat like a king haha.

Mona

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Working. I've spent my day off doing up rosters for the next couple of weeks. Which will be part of my job from now on.