Winter Fishing Revue

Admin.

All that glitters, is not gold.
Site Supporter ☠️
If people can March into the capital building then we should be able to fish the aquarium at Bass Pro Shop.

Once, long ago, I worked the overnight shift at a big shopping mall, mopping and polishing the floors and emptying the trash and whatnot. This mall had a big aquarium filled with exotic fishes with benches around it in one of the annex halls. It was right in front of a popular pet store outlet.

Anyway, on my very last night shift, I had a bunch of buddies over to drink beer and get stoned in the mall since I wasn't gonna do any work on my very last day there. One of the guys had an actual piranha fish that he'd kept in a small fishbowl for a long time. I told him to bring it.

We dumped that piranha into that big aquarium and sat down to watch as we cracked beers and smoked cigarettes. Now this aquarium was about 8ft x 4 x 4ft high, and this poor old piranha had lived it's whole life in a little fishbowl a foot wide or so. It just floated there in the middle of that big space and flapped its little fins for a long time. The other fishies checked it out a little at first, the yellow ones, the orange ones, the iridescent blue ones and others. Then they got bored with it and went back to swimming around the big tank and hiding in the fake coral and rocks and weed that decorated the thing.

It took about 15 minutes.

Then the killing frenzy began.

It started with the yellow ones. We didn't see the first attacks because by that time we had gotten bored with looking at a motionless fish and were jawing and smoking and drinking our beers. But the motion drew our eyes and we all sat mesmerized as that insane piranha darted all over the tank taking bites out the hapless little yellow fishies.

He wasn't even eating the chunks. He'd just take a huge bite out a belly and spit out the chunk of meat and guts and then charge on to the next one to kill.

After a time it went on to the iridescent blue ones, but we didn't stick around because the sun was coming up soon and it was time for us to go.

It was one of the most awesomest things I ever saw.
OK, I'll give you a + karmic dealio for that heart felt admission of a teenaged wasteland life.

OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned
If people can March into the capital building then we should be able to fish the aquarium at Bass Pro Shop.

Once, long ago, I worked the overnight shift at a big shopping mall, mopping and polishing the floors and emptying the trash and whatnot. This mall had a big aquarium filled with exotic fishes with benches around it in one of the annex halls. It was right in front of a popular pet store outlet.

Anyway, on my very last night shift, I had a bunch of buddies over to drink beer and get stoned in the mall since I wasn't gonna do any work on my very last day there. One of the guys had an actual piranha fish that he'd kept in a small fishbowl for a long time. I told him to bring it.

We dumped that piranha into that big aquarium and sat down to watch as we cracked beers and smoked cigarettes. Now this aquarium was about 8ft x 4 x 4ft high, and this poor old piranha had lived it's whole life in a little fishbowl a foot wide or so. It just floated there in the middle of that big space and flapped its little fins for a long time. The other fishies checked it out a little at first, the yellow ones, the orange ones, the iridescent blue ones and others. Then they got bored with it and went back to swimming around the big tank and hiding in the fake coral and rocks and weed that decorated the thing.

It started with the yellow ones. We didn't see the first attacks because by that time we had gotten bored with looking at a motionless fish and were jawing and smoking and drinking our beers. But the motion drew our eyes and we all sat mesmerized as that insane piranha darted all over the tank taking bites out the hapless little yellow fishies.

He wasn't even eating the chunks. He'd just take a huge bite out a belly and spit out the chunk of meat and guts and then charge on to the next one to kill.

After a time it went on to the iridescent blue ones, but we didn't stick around because the sun was coming up soon and it was time for us to go.

OK, I'll give you a + karmic dealio for that heart felt admission of a teenaged wasteland life.
Jeebs - you read that?

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️

Jeebs - you read that?
Doubt it, but I'm sure he's been saving that copypasta for a very special occasion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned

Jeebs - you read that?
Doubt it, but I'm sure he's been saving that copytapsta for a very special occasion.
Oh - cause I'm thinking
..Your time is waaaay less valuable than mine if you did.

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️
maxresdefault.jpg
Is this you? If you play your cards right, I might be willing to make you my bish.

OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned
Great news - The Veritas arrives tomorrow, the HMG on Wednesday.

I also just remembered I want to get a pair of Lip Grips, maybe one with a weight scale, but mostly for handling treble hooked fish.
Last year for the first time ever, I took a hook past the barb (this happened twice). The second time I punched the point back out, which is an interesting field operation, and clamped the bard, then backed the hook out of the original point of penetration. I think a Lip Grip will be good for handling fish where the treble prevents effectively lipping the fish. We'll see.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I have never seen a live bait vending machine like this before.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Feeding time for the alligators at Bass Pro Shop. I hear they build a giant pyramid shaped store in Memphis where they have a wild game restaurant at the top. Supposedly, they have a ton of wild game meat on the menu.

OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned
The Veritas (that's the old model) and the HMG both arrived. Nice goods, and pair nicely with with the Abu Revo reels. I also ordered some Power Pro 10lb braid for the short spool Shimano since I'll be able to get more yards on than with the Fireline. It'll also be better than mono for the inline spinners I will get back to using a bit more - less effect of line twist.

Now..uh - the lip grips - went with YakGear fish Grip Jr. These are plastic rather than metal - less fish hurt.
A few more items this winter and already for spring trout and smallies.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Since they are giving everyone another $2000 (or maybe just $1400, we won't know until they write the damn thing) maybe I can find a cheap fishing boat for $6000?

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
A quick search later and I found a 2004 Bayliner 185 for $8500 which seems a bit on the high side to me for a 17 year old boat.

OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned
A quick search later and I found a 2004 Bayliner 185 for $8500 which seems a bit on the high side to me for a 17 year old boat.
Maybe one of them big ocean fishing Kayaks.

PS: How about this one: (it's even comes in your favorite color)

71voZwf2QEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
My favorite color is green, dude. I have seen some of those with motors and outriggers. That said, a proper boat would be better for water skiing and having friends and family. I want something small enough to tow, large enough that I can take it off shore a bit in calm weather (and not always be stuck in the local bays) yet still small enough to use in local lakes, reservoirs, or the odd trip to the Colorado River. Any ideas?

All of the center counsels seem out of too expensive unless it is truly ancient or has title issues. Bonus if it is small enough to fit in the third car spot of the garage though I do have a parking pad with side access at my house. It would just be nice to garage park it.

Last edited:

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I found a used one for $200 on Facebook market place. I wonder how much horsepower you can have on a motor mounted to that thing. I have seen videos of builds but honestly I want a proper boat. Maybe in March.

OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned
I found a used one for $200 on Facebook market place. I wonder how much horsepower you can have on a motor mounted to that thing. I have seen videos of builds but honestly I want a proper boat. Maybe in March.
That have the ones with the foot peddles.
You can also keep in shape with those and less maintenance costs.

@Oerdin What type of fishing do you like to do?

Last edited:

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Salt and fresh though not as often as I'd like. Tuna, lobster, the odd rock crab or spider crab, sea bass, halibut, barracuda, large mouth, catfish, the odd trout. Stuff like that. I have been watching videos on the Bayliner 195 flight edition. I can't justify wasting that much money on a new boat but a good low hours used boat would be right up my alley.

Master Pu

I'll Funk You Up!
Salt and fresh though not as often as I'd like. Tuna, lobster, the odd rock crab or spider crab, sea bass, halibut, barracuda, large mouth, catfish, the odd trout. Stuff like that. I have been watching videos on the Bayliner 195 flight edition. I can't justify wasting that much money on a new boat but a good low hours used boat would be right up my alley.

Boats like that are such a money pit.
I used to fish on Other Dudes boats.
Kick in on fuel, bait, and beer.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I know but I still want one. That is why I want to buy used so at least someone else takes the big depreciation hit. The fuel costs, time washing it out after a salt water run, maintenence, registration, etc... It does all add up. I'd probably only use it 5-6 times a year at most too. That is why I want to spend no more then $6k-$7k so at least we're not talking $30k.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Some ideas on how to get into off shore fishing without breaking the budget.

Master Pu

I'll Funk You Up!
I know but I still want one. That is why I want to buy used so at least someone else takes the big depreciation hit. The fuel costs, time washing it out after a salt water run, maintenence, registration, etc... It does all add up. I'd probably only use it 5-6 times a year at most too. That is why I want to spend no more then $6k-$7k so at least we're not talking $30k.
Salt water will take a huge toll on a lake boat.
Inboard/outboard engine best. 305 or so. Easy to maintain.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Most of the ones in my price range seem to be six cylinder engines. 3L to 4.2L.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The Bayliner 185 has a 3L outboard. The bayliner 195 has a 4.2L onboard.