371-F0635-C4-F5-4-B03-8-E68-A08-A7-C4-D0256.jpg

The fish was good. Not even close to this. Sea food from God

OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned
Waiting for my Abu Garcia Veritas Rod to be delivered. I have that UPS Follow My Delivery feature working.
Driver was 1/2 a block away 3 hrs ago, then abruptly turned and has been on the far side of town until starting to move slowly this way. Gave me time to take a pleasant Winter hike through the state lands though. Nice snowy quiet. Lots of animal tracks.
Some senkos and swimbaits delivered already today. Should be getting a couple packages of Norman Speed Clips also - a solution to attaching walking baits without a loop knot.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
Waiting for my Abu Garcia Veritas Rod to be delivered. I have that UPS Follow My Delivery feature working.
Driver was 1/2 a block away 3 hrs ago, then abruptly turned and has been on the far side of town until starting to move slowly this way. Gave me time to take a pleasant Winter hike through the state lands though. Nice snowy quiet. Lots of animal tracks.
Some senkos and swimbaits delivered already today. Should be getting a couple packages of Norman Speed Clips also - a solution to attaching walking baits without a loop knot.

I've always just bought Shakespeare telescopic rode/reel combos for inland, estuary, and sea fishing... different sizes, mind you.... but never had a rod break, even after a banjo shark took my bait down.

I don't get the technical equipment fishing guys...

Lines break, leaders break... but goddamn... those telescopic rods do the job.

OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned

I've always just bought Shakespeare telescopic rode/reel combos for inland, estuary, and sea fishing... different sizes, mind you.... but never had a rod break, even after a banjo shark took my bait down.

You got link for the rods? I know their UglySticks a pretty hard to snap.
I like to pack a rod and reel when hiking on occasion, or when camping. Good for that?

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

I like to pack a rod and reel when hiking on occasion, or when camping. Good for that?

Had to look it up and it's Shimano not Shakespeare. I get them from Aldi when they have their fishing specials.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

I have reeled in some monsters on these combos... inland, plenty of Murray Cod at about 35-65 cm, Yellowbelly, and Snapper and sea Flathead off the coast. Plenty of 40-70cm gummy sharks too. If the line is right, the combo takes it.

OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned

Had to look it up and it's Shimano not Shakespeare. I get them from Aldi when they have their fishing specials.

I have reeled in some monsters on these combos... inland, plenty of Murray Cod at about 35-65 cm, Yellowbelly, and Snapper and sea Flathead off the coast. Plenty of 40-70cm gummy sharks too. If the line is right, the combo takes it.
Strange enough I just checked a telescoping rod I have - it's a Shakespeare.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

Strange enough I just checked a telescoping rod I have - it's a Shakespeare.

I think Aldi started offering Shakespeare combos over a decade ago and after I started buying them from an outdoor store... they were in a blue mini bag with a clear PVC side face, but half the price....so I pivoted to Aldi instantly. I'm a bit hazy here but believe I was buying Shakespeare initially and Shimano of late.... all in the same blue coloured bag.

Dunno if they were the same actual manufacturer, or rebranded... all I know is I never had an issue with any of them unless I couldn't rinse the reels after kayaking, in a timely fashion, and after getting hammered by waves/swells...

I attach one to my backpack if I go camping and my fishing mates laugh at me... they buy expensive rigs, but we still catch relatively the same.

Love Aldi...

OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned
Only one Block away now. very excited.
Man - that UPS driver must have had one heck of a lot of packages to deliver.
Those people work hard.

OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned
Package delivered - Driver, he's a very good guy, looked quite weary.

Evidently I inadvertently ordered the two piece (fuckineyeroll smiley)
Going back to the site I see how that happened since the rod length defaults to 2-piece even though you had previously selected 1. Oh wellz.
Fortunately I can just order another when that 600 buckaroos pops into my account.

The rod - seems to have exactly the fast tip and backbone I had hoped for.
Should be perfect for a dedicated topwater rode for river Smallies, which as Ice Princes notes, I never catch anyway.

I can recommend this rod even without mounting a reel and tying on a lure.

OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned
Package delivered - Driver, he's a very good guy, looked quite weary.

Evidently I inadvertently ordered the two piece (fuckineyeroll smiley)
Going back to the site I see how that happened since the rod length defaults to 2-piece even though you had previously selected 1. Oh wellz.
Fortunately I can just order another when that 600 buckaroos pops into my account.

The rod - seems to have exactly the fast tip and backbone I had hoped for.
Should be perfect for a dedicated topwater rode for river Smallies, which as Ice Princes notes, I never catch anyway.

I can recommend this rod even without mounting a reel and tying on a lure.
Of course - no problem Re: the 2 piece since I can order another soonas my big relief check arrives.

Admin.

All that glitters, is not gold.
Site Supporter ☠️
I hope it's ok to ask in here, I didn't see any other boards about fish, does anyone know if Pepperidge Farms makes White Goldfish? (Goldfish, just seem a little too hebraic, for my taste)

OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned
I hope it's ok to ask in here, I didn't see any other boards about fish, does anyone know if Pepperidge Farms makes White Goldfish? (Goldfish, just seem a little too hebraic, for my taste)
... Iceberg, Goldberg..you know the one.

It's odd though, given there are only 11 million worldwide how many have play'd instrumental rolls in my life - for good and/or bad.

Last edited:

Admin.

All that glitters, is not gold.
Site Supporter ☠️
... Iceberg, Goldberg..you know the one.

It's odd though, given there are on 11 million worldwide how many have play'd instrumental rolls in my life - for good and/or bad.
That's pretty much true, I had a minor misunderstanding back in the 80's once, but I don't believe theism really played much of a role, tbh.

OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned
Returning from my hike in the hills approaching the porch
and what did my wondering eye dun see
..two tiny packages
waiting for me.

The Abu Elite Max spinning reel arrived.
Got it unpackaged and the crank handle on
..felt a little stiff, but it had been sitting in 29 degrees for a bit
loosened some now as it's warmer.
Of course this is not a high end reel
more of a general laborer type - 70 bucks.

Not sure how I will use it yet
May use it on the dedicated topwater rod along with the Veritas...
or maybe on the jig rod.

Looks like a sturdy reel - time will tell.

Also received some 3" Senkos which produced well in the Lenapehanna has year.

.. Winter - preparing for the coming season
always an exciting time. :Wink:

OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned
Today has been economically stimulating.

Mentioned the Fenwick HMG Medium Light 6' 9" spinning rod.
Just got to wait on this. Specs look good - would prefer a 6' 6" but either Fenwick doesn't make one or none are available. Could work out though.
If not - more stimulating to be made.

Ordered a bunch of Panther Martin Classic and other tear drop in-line spinners.
..Watch out Smallies and Trouts. Careful what you eat.

Made a deal on a vintage Shimano Scorpion 1501. Hey - Japan is our friend though - so it's okay.
Shimano-Scorpion-1501-RH-364-Left-Handle-Baitcasting.jpg

Last edited:

X

xXx
Site Supporter
IN THE WINTER !!
You have to stick with the thread theme bro
Holligay gets the hurt feelZzzz

Reggie_Essent

An Claidheam Anam
If people can March into the capital building then we should be able to fish the aquarium at Bass Pro Shop.

Once, long ago, I worked the overnight shift at a big shopping mall, mopping and polishing the floors and emptying the trash and whatnot. This mall had a big aquarium filled with exotic fishes with benches around it in one of the annex halls. It was right in front of a popular pet store outlet.

Anyway, on my very last night shift, I had a bunch of buddies over to drink beer and get stoned in the mall since I wasn't gonna do any work on my very last day there. One of the guys had an actual piranha fish that he'd kept in a small fishbowl for a long time. I told him to bring it.

We dumped that piranha into that big aquarium and sat down to watch as we cracked beers and smoked cigarettes. Now this aquarium was about 8ft x 4 x 4ft high, and this poor old piranha had lived it's whole life in a little fishbowl a foot wide or so. It just floated there in the middle of that big space and flapped its little fins for a long time. The other fishies checked it out a little at first, the yellow ones, the orange ones, the iridescent blue ones and others. Then they got bored with it and went back to swimming around the big tank and hiding in the fake coral and rocks and weed that decorated the thing.

It took about 15 minutes.

Then the killing frenzy began.

It started with the yellow ones. We didn't see the first attacks because by that time we had gotten bored with looking at a motionless fish and were jawing and smoking and drinking our beers. But the motion drew our eyes and we all sat mesmerized as that insane piranha darted all over the tank taking bites out the hapless little yellow fishies.

He wasn't even eating the chunks. He'd just take a huge bite out a belly and spit out the chunk of meat and guts and then charge on to the next one to kill.

After a time it went on to the iridescent blue ones, but we didn't stick around because the sun was coming up soon and it was time for us to go.

It was one of the most awesomest things I ever saw.

X

xXx
Site Supporter
If people can March into the capital building then we should be able to fish the aquarium at Bass Pro Shop.

Once, long ago, I worked the overnight shift at a big shopping mall, mopping and polishing the floors and emptying the trash and whatnot. This mall had a big aquarium filled with exotic fishes with benches around it in one of the annex halls. It was right in front of a popular pet store outlet.

Anyway, on my very last night shift, I had a bunch of buddies over to drink beer and get stoned in the mall since I wasn't gonna do any work on my very last day there. One of the guys had an actual piranha fish that he'd kept in a small fishbowl for a long time. I told him to bring it.

We dumped that piranha into that big aquarium and sat down to watch as we cracked beers and smoked cigarettes. Now this aquarium was about 8ft x 4 x 4ft high, and this poor old piranha had lived it's whole life in a little fishbowl a foot wide or so. It just floated there in the middle of that big space and flapped its little fins for a long time. The other fishies checked it out a little at first, the yellow ones, the orange ones, the iridescent blue ones and others. Then they got bored with it and went back to swimming around the big tank and hiding in the fake coral and rocks and weed that decorated the thing.

It started with the yellow ones. We didn't see the first attacks because by that time we had gotten bored with looking at a motionless fish and were jawing and smoking and drinking our beers. But the motion drew our eyes and we all sat mesmerized as that insane piranha darted all over the tank taking bites out the hapless little yellow fishies.

He wasn't even eating the chunks. He'd just take a huge bite out a belly and spit out the chunk of meat and guts and then charge on to the next one to kill.

After a time it went on to the iridescent blue ones, but we didn't stick around because the sun was coming up soon and it was time for us to go.

So you put a piranha in salt water, because you said coral and those colors ... and this Killer piranha attacked other fish instead of having it's gills burn and die :LMAO:

ffs REggie Essant very smart ... and tells fake stories :Confused:

Reggie_Essent

An Claidheam Anam

So you put a piranha in salt water, because you said coral and those colors ... and this Killer piranha attacked other fish instead of having it's gills burn and die :LMAO:

ffs REggie Essant very smart ... and tells fake stories :Confused:

I don't know what kind of water it was. Did you not listen to the fucking story? Anyone with even a modicum of intellect should have grasped I was a teenaged kid at the time scrubbing floors third shift for shit.

But hey, you don't have to like my stories, even though every word of it is true.

I haven't read any stories from you ... or anything of interest at all now I think of it, but maybe you can come up with something now.

OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned
Uhkay - so.

Got the Panthers. What a beautiful seeeelection of teardrop classics, plain
dressed, single hook, 1/8 oz fer them lil stockie trouts, and 1/4 and 3/8 fer the Smallies.

Got the Bearded Banshees - yep, it means egggzactly what you think it means.
1/4 oz for the river - slightly down sized from most quarters - good for the river Smallies
and 3/8ths for the reservoir Smallies.

My concerns over the 6' 9" medium light Fenwick were justified (a bit willowy - but a beautiful rod), nonetheless I will find uses for it,
so I went ahead and ordered the 6' 6" medium fast action - because I'm a millllionaire doncheh know.
Ordered the Scorpion at a reduced price. I guess I said that already - It has shipped.

Still need a new hi-qual pair-o-water shoes for wet wading the river, and maybe a pair of decent muckers. Damn - more PI I inadvertently gave away there. I got two laigs and feets. (see, because a pair of..)

Thinking another pair (there's that werd again) of Astrals or maybe also a pair of Sims felt soles.

Uhkay - so carry on, BadTards.