Winter Fishing Revue

Master Pu

I'll Funk You Up!
Substantial. 195s seem to also be much harder to find used.
Outboards are nice but require maintenance. If you use in salt water you need to flush them out as much as possible with a hose when u get home. The thing you use looks like a pair of ear muffs. Be cheaper for you if you can learn how to work on it for the basic shit. Also learn how to manually start the thing, assuming that's still possible, been awhile since I've been on a boat. Sucks getting stuck, and I've been stuck in Long Island Sound many, many times. Before cell phones. Scary shit when the current is moving you and it's getting dark. Then there's fog. Storms out of nowhere. My ass doesn't go out on salt water anymore.
The fishing can be awesome, tho.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The cheapest option would be some type of inflatable though you can't really use that for water skiing so it would just be a fishing boat. You also couldn't really use it outside of bays or fresh water. On the upside a basic high quality inflatable with aluminum floor and rigid frame is less than $600. I am not sure how large a motor you could attack to that much less a sail. I have seen sails with built in solar cells so maybe the best for something like that might be an electric motor. Those only seem to go up to 11 hp though so it would be slow as fuck.

I am not really into that design.

Ice

Cold as Ice
Site Supporter
If you want a boat then get a boat. You only live once so don't deny yourself.

We only have a 15 footer with a 70hp 2 stroke. It will pull a water skier but with only myself in the boat I can get it up to 43mph on calm water. I would get a bigger one if I lived on the coast but for the size of our lakes around here this boat is big enough.

999367-536309393084676-514779706-n.jpg

579896-371301359585481-1997444243-n.jpg

36830208-1680810075301263-2193087391705595904-n.jpg

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I like two stroke motors for their efficiency and power to weight ratio. Here in California many lakes and rivers ban older two strokes on the claim that they pollute. So to be legal you have to have one built after 1990 and it has to be fuel injected. Given the option I'd go with a two stroke.

Reactions: Ice

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Hmm, I found a 185 bow rider of the same year as the other one (2004) in the same color but in L.A. instead of in San Diego. Though the smashing price for the boat in L.A. is $7500 vs $8500 for the boat in San Diego. I am sure if I look hard enough eventually I will find one for $6000 though it might be in AZ or NV.

Ice

Cold as Ice
Site Supporter
Hmm, I found a 185 bow rider of the same year as the other one (2004) in the same color but in L.A. instead of in San Diego. Though the smashing price for the boat in L.A. is $7500 vs $8500 for the boat in San Diego. I am sure if I look hard enough eventually I will find one for $6000 though it might be in AZ or NV.

Just a heads up but this is the best time of year to buy a used boat as they will go up in price when the ice melts.

But I guess you don't have to worry about ice melting.:LOL1:

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
$12,500 for a 2007 195 with the 3L motor. Given how cheaply 185s are going that sounds too much as it is only 3 feet longer and has the same base model engine.

Ice

Cold as Ice
Site Supporter
Bull trout sure does look like some good eatin'. Are they scarce or something? Why catch and release instead of skinning and eating?
They taste like wet sawdust, really they do.:Grin3:

But as with all fish that live in cold water they don't spawn until they are 5 years old. Throw in habitat loss (mining, logging),pollution,over fishing (years ago) and that is why they went catch and release.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Trout are quite good and easy to cook. I usually cut the head off, gut them, wash the whole thing well, then season inside and out, stuff it with uncle Ben's rice and a lot of butter. Wrap the whole thing up in tin foil and bury it in the coals of a fire. When it is fully cooked the skin easily pulls away and you can flake the meat off the rib bones with little effort. Garnish and you're ready to eat.

Last edited:

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Amber jack? It tastes similar to grouper to me though the texture is a bit tougher. Color is white meat. I am speaking specifically about the Pacific amberjack as I have never caught an Atlantic amberjack.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Ahh, having looked it up that seems to be a crevale jack which is only in the Atlantic and thus not a type of jack I have caught or eaten before.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I was looking at electric outboards (not trolling motors, these are the Tesla equivalent of the boating world) and the best right now seems to be ePropulsion who makes electric outboards along with lithium battery packs. The problem the price. Even their 9.9 hp electric motor (which is the largest many small inflatable boats or kayaks can accommodate) costs $3450 without the $500 optional attachments or the $800 spare battery pack. That is a lot for a 9.9hp electric motor which can only go 6 miles at max speed (but supposedly up to 50 at slow speed).

I can see a place for such a motor but even 40-70 hp electric outboards cost much more than the gas equivalent plus have even shorter range as electricity demand goes up logarithmically with speed. Honestly, boating needs a Tesla to disrupt the cozy marketplace, maybe using light weight lithium air batteries built into dead space between the hull and the deck. Integrate a solar film on all areas which get sunlight to help recharge and extend range.

Do that and you have a ground breaking electric boat which would sell just on novelty and green marketing. It would also work with sailboats or even some type of hybrid. No one has done any of these things in the boating world.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
I use SOT kayaks when fishing the bays or heads, but not so much anymore since it's too easy to put a hook through your hand trying to bait it in the chop. The best way was pre-baiting a bunch of them on leaders while they were frozen and swapping them out.

I haven't been so keen lately because of sharks. Ruins the enjoyment getting love taps on the side of your yak. If I were to fish more often I'd get a jet sky.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I guess if you wanted to go really cheap and you were someone with some woodworking skill, had access to a wood shop, and some free lumber than a wooden boat would be the way to go. Especially if you could find a cheap used outboard motor. That is what they do with the ponga boats the poor fishermen use down in Latin America. Not exciting but they get the job down cheaply.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
I guess if you wanted to go really cheap and you were someone with some woodworking skill, had access to a wood shop, and some free lumber than a wooden boat would be the way to go. Especially if you could find a cheap used outboard motor. That is what they do with the ponga boats the poor fishermen use down in Latin America. Not exciting but they get the job down cheaply.

Electric kayak motors are meant to work well. Sails too for running with the wind. Haven't tried either, except my hat on the gusty days....

Succubus

Entertain me you boring fucks.....
Site Supporter
When I catch catfish I always take it to a tree stump or a log, drive a long nail through its head to hold it in place and start skinning it at the base of its head on top and all the way around the sides. Take some pliers, grab that shit and pull it all the way back....like taking a sock off your foot, lol....just a tad bit more difficult.

OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned
Whoa!
The Scorpion came today.
..just beautiful
not a scratch
.in the box
all the accoutrements.

Can not wait to sail a spinnerbait out to a waiting Smallie on the big res.

OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned
When I catch catfish I always take it to a tree stump or a log, drive a long nail through its head to hold it in place and start skinning it at the base of its head on top and all the way around the sides. Take some pliers, grab that shit and pull it all the way back....like taking a sock off your foot, lol....just a tad bit more difficult.
I hope you have the decency to render the poor sacrificial cat unconscious first.
.It is a living, feeling life you know.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
I hope you have the decency to render the poor sacrificial cat unconscious first.

Fish are descendent of huge monsters that ate early humans whole.

Payback is a motherfucker....

Succubus

Site Supporter

Yes, it is dead before I do that, lol.

OP
OP
Holliday

Holliday

Banned
Banned

Yes, it is dead before I do that, lol.
(Wipesbrowinrelief smiley)

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I do the same. Hammer a nail through the head, cut the skin with a knife, then filled down the rib cage from top to bottom. That way you get a boneless white meat filled. Perfect for a beer batter then frying in hot oil (just make sure the oil is really hot so the batter gets crispy and has a nice crunch; bonus points if you spice the batter).

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Whoa!
The Scorpion came today.
..just beautiful
not a scratch
.in the box
all the accoutrements.

Can not wait to sail a spinnerbait out to a waiting Smallie on the big res.

No smallie around here. How do they fight compared to big mouth? We have a ton of Florida strain, in fact, our area holds many big mouth records.

Succubus

Site Supporter

I do the same. Hammer a nail through the head, cut the skin with a knife, then filled down the rib cage from top to bottom. That way you get a boneless white meat filled. Perfect for a beer batter then frying in hot oil (just make sure the oil is really hot so the batter gets crispy and has a nice crunch; bonus points if you spice the batter).

That's how I do mine. I use flour or corn meal. Sometimes I mix the two. Then I season it well. :)