4.5 metre White Pointer (Great White) Attack.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
In the late 90's we had a great white kill a woman who was training to be an Olympic swimmer in the La Jolla shores area of San Diego. It bite her leg off and she bled out.

Yike.

Not everything is perfect about that nice sunny Southern California weather, eh?

They are more common in Northern California.

Occasionally I've heard the odd Great White made it up to the Pacific Northwest. But it's mostly Killer Whales up here. I think they are more than a match for the sharks & would swat them down like files if they got too close. Especially their food sources.

I’m pretty sure a Killer Whale would turn a great white into sushi dinner lol

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
In the late 90's we had a great white kill a woman who was training to be an Olympic swimmer in the La Jolla shores area of San Diego. It bite her leg off and she bled out.

Yike.

Not everything is perfect about that nice sunny Southern California weather, eh?

Occasionally I've heard the odd Great White made it up to the Pacific Northwest. But it's mostly Killer Whales up here. I think they are more than a match for the sharks & would swat them down like files if they got too close. Especially their food sources.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️

Yike.

Can you believe the Inuit warriors hunted these things in kayaks? Yikes!

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Yike.

I wonder how many of them died doing it?

The eskimos probably baited them into shallow waters by feeding them fish & then tried to spear them to death.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️

Yike.

The eskimos probably baited them into shallow waters by feeding them fish & then tried to spear them to death.

I imagine the men 17-20ish paddling out and launching multiple attacks simultaneously.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Yike.

I imagine the men 17-20ish paddling out and launching multiple attacks simultaneously.

Possibly just standing on the shore.

I'd lure them into an inlet then have dozens of hunters throw Spears at them if that was my objective.

Thankfully they're mostly objects of whale watchers now.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️

Yike.

Possibly just standing on the shore.

I'd lure them into an inlet then have dozens of hunters throw Spears at them if that was my objective.

Thankfully they're mostly objects of whale watchers now.

My GF was trying to convince me to paddle out on the Puget Sound to see their migration. I can’t imagine how irrationally fearful I would be being in the water with something that large.

But I dove in the water off a fishing boat while deep sea fishing in Mexico when I was 13ish and had a panic attack after I landed and realized there was NO bottom
and didn’t know what was lurking below.

I have had similar panic attacks since while diving in to waterski on lakes… just not as bad.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
To @The Prowler

Take a full breath and keep your lungs full while you breathe shallowly in and out.

I think that is good advice, but it does not work for me. Well, at least it did not years ago in a pool. I would take a deep breath and just sink. I could swim a length of the pool at the bottom of the pool, though. I am probably better at the bottom of the pool than those freaky floating people are...they probably have to spend energy making sure they stay down...

Practice face down floating while wearing a snorkel...

OP
OP
Omnipotent

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
To @The Prowler

Take a full breath and keep your lungs full while you breathe shallowly in and out.

To @Omnipotent

You seem to get off referring to Americans and people from other countries as inferior to Australians but when you do it in the context of a statement that is wrong you look rather foolish and in fact set a bad example for your own country.

As stated by others on this thread, shark attacks on people are statistically rare, everywhere in the world. Things we encounter every day are much more likely main, injure or kill us including falling vending machines and we don’t give these things a second thought.

Shark attacks ARE NOT RARE WHERE I LIVE.

Because idiots wanted them protected they are now too many. Too many Apex predators is bad for the enviroment.... not just for people but other species as well.

I had an aquarium FULL of tropical fish and water plants..... The Angelfish were the last two then one Angelfish killed the other one. One survived.

-----------------

I know for a fact Americans hunt sharks after an attack.

My father and his two crew were eaten by sharks so I really don't think it's rare as idiots love to spout off.... thanks

OP
OP
Omnipotent

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Yike.

And we have killer whales to.... We didn't have them before.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Put up a shark net and let em get tangled and die.

There is a good net at Cottesloe Beach where many have died eaten by sharks. I'll post a pictue when I come across it.
Interesting. Here, there was a major campaign to get rid of shark nets. All kinds of video showing the poor ol sharks dead and dying, etc. A real tear jerker. I suspect a net that doesnt work well doesnt because of some asinine regulation.

OP
OP
Omnipotent

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Nothing in our waters can kill you.

Except the water.

I suck at swimming. I still sink. Was at the beach this summer and my wife did a "front float". She just floated there. I did it and sank pretty quickly. Then I tried floating on my back. As expected, I sank. When I swim, I spend more energy trying to stay afloat than I do going forward.

You have low body fat. You need to relax in the water. Can you tread water?

I’ve been swimming since I was 10 months old…. But I was raised by surfer animals.

It might not have anything to do with fat.... my step-father is morbidly obese and sinks like a stone..... Prowler doesn't live near salt water I don't think.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Omnipotent

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Put up a shark net and let em get tangled and die.

There is a good net at Cottesloe Beach where many have died eaten by sharks. I'll post a pictue when I come across it.
Interesting. Here, there was a major campaign to get rid of shark nets. All kinds of video showing the poor ol sharks dead and dying, etc. A real tear jerker. I suspect a net that doesnt work well doesnt because of some asinine regulation.

Well nets are expensive and kill other wild sealife so aren't really optimal but on our Oz east coast they've got these cool rock pools.... they should make more marinas I feel... no boating or fishing on them.... there is going to be a whole generation who can't swim because they are too scared shitless to go in the water because of sharks.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
It might not have anything to do with fat.... my step-father is morbidly obese and sinks like a stone..... Prowler doesn't near salt water I don't think.

Nah, most of the pools around here are not salt water. I do seem to be a little more buoyant in the ocean. I do not think I have ever tried to just float in the ocean - when I snorkel in water above my head I wear a small life jacket or use a flotation device, and in shallow water I end up walking half the time. I should remember to check the next time I am in salt water.

OP
OP
Omnipotent

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
It might not have anything to do with fat.... my step-father is morbidly obese and sinks like a stone..... Prowler doesn't near salt water I don't think.

Nah, most of the pools around here are not salt water. I do seem to be a little more buoyant in the ocean. I do not think I have ever tried to just float in the ocean - when I snorkel in water above my head I wear a small life jacket or use a flotation device, and in shallow water I end up walking half the time. I should remember to check the next time I am in salt water.

Sorry I left out a word... I have a migraine today. I'm fumbling around like a chook with its head cut off.

Salt water is very buoyant and these days salt is put domestic pools besides chlorine. Does Canada use salt in domestic pools?

OP
OP
Omnipotent

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I used to float at Port Beach (shark attack area) when I was a kid and TWICE lifeguards grabbed me thinking I was a drowned kid. They scared me to death....

I love the ocean and today we will be eating 3 lobsters... (poor babies hunted for their yummy flesh).

Anyway the 57 year old man was taken. His wife was on the beach, I wonder if she will ever go there again. The boys in the dinghy were very close and saw everything close up.

They've only thing found so far is the man's googles.

Reggie_Essent

An Claidheam Anam
Hi Truganini!

You're on early and I'm on late.

Just remember, you'll always be down under Alterday, and I'll alway be topside Mainday.

:)

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
To @The Prowler

To @Omnipotent

You seem to get off referring to Americans and people from other countries as inferior to Australians but when you do it in the context of a statement that is wrong you look rather foolish and in fact set a bad example for your own country.

As stated by others on this thread, shark attacks on people are statistically rare, everywhere in the world. Things we encounter every day are much more likely main, injure or kill us including falling vending machines and we don’t give these things a second thought.

Because idiots wanted them protected they are now too many. Too many Apex predators is bad for the enviroment.... not just for people but other species as well.

I had an aquarium FULL of tropical fish and water plants..... The Angelfish were the last two then one Angelfish killed the other one. One survived.

-----------------

My father and his two crew were eaten by sharks so I really don't think it's rare as idiots love to spout off.... thanks

So I guess no more Dad, eh?

OP
OP
Omnipotent

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
To @The Prowler

To @Omnipotent

-----------------

Not since Valantines Day, 1964,... so no...

Reggie_Essent

An Claidheam Anam
Hi Truganini!

You're on early and I'm on late.

Just remember, you'll always be down under Alterday, and I'll alway be topside Mainday.

:)

Except my darling Reggie, I'm 12 hours ahead of you... it's 12.20 pm Sunday afternoon in Perth, WA. :))

It's 1:30 Sunday morning here topside and I'm out of beer. Stay away from the sharks and have something that lived on land for lunch.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
To @The Prowler

To @Omnipotent

-----------------

was he fishing?

OP
OP
Omnipotent

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Yike.

The singer Chris Issaks (sp?) has a great Killer Whale story he told on our TV one time while he was surfing and they came up to him. He was lead and assured by Indians no one had died by killer whales

He yelled at the Indians saying, "you said said I'd be safe and no one has ever been hurt by them."

And they shot back, "no one has ever been stupid enough to go surfing here when they around."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Omnipotent

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
To @The Prowler

To @Omnipotent

-----------------

was he fishing?

He was bringing in all the lobster pots.... they think a king wave swamped the boat and recuers weren't dispatched for 24 hours.... They found a makeshift raft with CATHYJO'S buoys on an island washed up, a thermos... and a few bits and pieces.... Massive tragedy... it was in the papers everyday for 9 months.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
To @The Prowler

To @Omnipotent

-----------------

was he fishing?

He was bringing in all the lobster pots.... they think a king wave swamped the boat and recuers weren't dispatched for 24 hours.... They found a makeshift raft with CATHYJO'S buoys on an island washed up, a thermos... and a few bits and pieces.... Massive tragedy... it was in the papers everyday for 9 months.

I guess the lobsters were just too much of a temptation for the sharks, eh?

Australia seems like a rather dangerous place.

Is that why they called it - 'Van Daemon's Land'?

OP
OP
Omnipotent

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I live in the greatest state and the greatest ontinent on earth...

We don't have bears, wild cats and maniacs with assault weapons like North America. I feel pretty safe. Poor lobsters aren't safe for sure.... Poor yummy things

Last edited:
OP
OP
Omnipotent

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I guess the lobsters were just too much of a temptation for the sharks, eh?

Australia seems like a rather dangerous place.

Is that why they called it - 'Van Daemon's Land'?

First name of Australia was Terra Australis

Later New Holland (Australia)

Also Van Diemens Land was Tasmania.

Which area of Australia was once called Van Diemen's Land?

island of Tasmania

Black War. Black War, (1804–30), term applied to hostilities between Tasmanian Aboriginal people and British soldiers and settlers on the Australian island of Tasmania (then called Van Diemen's Land), which nearly resulted in the extermination of the Indigenous inhabitants of the island.

Van Diemen's Land | History, Convicts, & Australia | Britannicah