Buffalo Gals

The New Holliday

Now With 25% More Infinity
Site Supporter
. Most of you...okay maybe a few of you know that Buffalo Soldiers refers (that is was the name given) to black soldiers in the post civil war period. Well, recently I have been given (by the powers above) a neighbor who stomps like stampeding buffalo which all reminded me of the song Buffalo Gals. I've linked some in a music thread but found another today (linked below)
..but I wondered, was this song reminiscent of a time when the white frontiersmen would beacon black women to "come out and dance" with/for them?

Uncover the mystery and win a rec.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
. Most of you...okay maybe a few of you know that Buffalo Soldiers refers (that is was the name given) to black soldiers in the post civil war period. Well, recently I have been given (by the powers above) a neighbor who stomps like stampeding buffalo which all reminded me of the song Buffalo Gals. I've linked some in a music thread but found another today (linked below)
..but I wondered, was this song reminiscent of a time when the white frontiersmen would beacon black women to "come out and dance" with/for them?

Uncover the mystery and win a rec.

Apparently, that was the name the Native Americans gave to black people, so I don't know.

You have answers?

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
I thought Bob Marley’s song was a tribute to the buffalo robes worn by the African Americans, Native American Indians and white explorers during the 19th century.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
Just found the civil war reference in the original music video ~ right in the beginning…