Is Latin American Spanish easier to learn than European Spanish?

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
....or how about Brazilian Portuguese vs European Portuguese?

And Is there a 'snob appeal' of these European flavors which exists between British/European English vs American English? Or French from France vs. Quebec French?

What is considered 'the better variant' or dialect in each language?

Is there a 'royal standard' or 'Kings English'?

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Yeah. Tico Spanish has a few bent English words mixed in, used frequently

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
I'd suggest you learn the European forms first, then the ones from Latin America

In South America, everyone wants to develop a Spanish lisp and use very Spanish nouns instead of their Latin American ones... or phrases...

Somebody could say plata (silver or loose change) in Spain and they'd peg them... even without a SA accent. There are so many particular words and phrases in different regions.

My mate's sister left Santiago, Chile for Spain and 10 years later sounded like a lisping retard... but that was her goal to get into high finance.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
....or how about Brazilian Portuguese vs European Portuguese?

And Is there a 'snob appeal' of these European flavors which exists between British/European English vs American English? Or French from France vs. Quebec French?

What is considered 'the better variant' or dialect in each language?

Is there a 'royal standard' or 'Kings English'?

Spanish is a fairly easy language to learn regardless of which continent it comes from; the major difference between European and Latin American Spanish is the things in the New World that didn't exist in the Old World were incorporated into the language. Or at least regional dialects.

For example, chocolate came from "Aztec" xocoatl and was Hispanicized to "chocolate". But corn is "maiz" in Spanish and "elote" in Mexican Spanish and "choclo" in several South American Spanish.

But probably 90% of Spanish is the same regardless. Sometimes Latin Americans and Spaniards share curse words, and sometimes they're different or mean something slightly different.

Regardless, it isn't more difficult to learn one over the other.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Yeah. Tico Spanish has a few bent English words mixed in, used frequently

Chileans have some English words in from the time British went there to mine in the 19th century. I heard Chileans use the word "living' to refer to a salon, parlor or living room.

TheHaze

If my dog doesn't like you, I probably won'teither
Site Supporter
What's a latin lover ?

A free holey - - - - -