Nobody Mention Race

OP
OP
The Prowler

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
I dont have "data", but I just wanna say, I grew up super fucking poor. Did it make me wanna steal, beat up people, and do general no good? No, quite the opposite!

My parents were poor. My mom especially. But both were very intelligent. They worked hard and built a good life and set their children up for success.

One generation is all it takes to get out of poverty.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
As a science, psychometrics is always contextual.

It is also not free of bias or potential bias.

Precisely my point, Lil.

My father (who spent his entire life working as a child psychologist for what was then called the Montreal Catholic School Commission) created an IQ test developed for, and adapted to, Inuit populations in Northern Canada as part of his university Master's thesis.

He would often tell us that intelligence can never be measured abstracted from cultural factors and social environments.

He would also give us heck for rummaging through his briefcase and playing around with his blocks, weird pictures, and stopwatch.

OP
OP
The Prowler

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
studies have been done in subsistence farming societies where researchers measure iq during harvest and during the time of scarcity of sustenance. study participants had higher iq when they were flush with harvest and lower iq as their stock of food was almost gone

I am not going to get into an extended argument with you over this.

I would have to see the study to scrutinize it.

Leaker, I know you see a study and you think "That was done by smart people; it must be right."

When I see a study I think "There is an extremely low chance that study was done by people as intelligent as me. I want to see the data, methodology, and their reasoning for reaching the conclusions."

There is a high probability that the study to which you referred demonstrated that in the short term people who are well-nourished will perform better in IQ tests than people who are not. To most people, that is common sense. When writing any test, it is a good idea to eat well going into it, get a few good nights sleep, etc.. But that is to do well in a test in the short term. In other words, being hungry and sleepy might make you perform poorly, but it does not actually make you less intelligent permanently.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Precisely my point, Lil.

My father (who spent his entire life working as a child psychologist for what was then called the Montreal Catholic School Commission) created an IQ test developed for, and adapted to, Inuit populations in Northern Canada as part of his university Master's thesis.

He would often tell us that intelligence can never be measured abstracted from cultural factors and social environments.

He would also give us heck for rummaging through his briefcase and playing around with his blocks, weird pictures, and stopwatch.

I thought that's what you meant, but I like being super direct. There's an audience here.

That's fascinating. But I have seen it in my own life. My grandson was raised in his primary formative years around educated adults. When he was 2 years old he was saying things like his dinner was "delicious". He knew his alphabet, colors and shapes at 18-24 months, he knew "hexagon"...he was pre-reading sight words by around 3 and reading couple word phrases a little after that and fully reading sentences by 4. He reads everything now that he's six and only struggles with big words until he learns them.

I was a smart kid, but not that smart. My parents only had high school education. My major advantage, I believe, was being taught to bilingual in reading, writing and speaking Spanish and English both.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
studies have been done in subsistence farming societies where researchers measure iq during harvest and during the time of scarcity of sustenance. study participants had higher iq when they were flush with harvest and lower iq as their stock of food was almost gone

I am not going to get into an extended argument with you over this.

I would have to see the study to scrutinize it.

Leaker, I know you see a study and you think "That was done by smart people; it must be right."

When I see a study I think "There is an extremely low chance that study was done by people as intelligent as me. I want to see the data, methodology, and their reasoning for reaching the conclusions."

There is a high probability that the study to which you referred demonstrated that in the short term people who are well-nourished will perform better in IQ tests than people who are not. To most people, that is common sense. When writing any test, it is a good idea to eat well going into it, get a few good nights sleep, etc.. But that is to do well in a test in the short term. In other words, being hungry and sleepy might make you perform poorly, but it does not actually make you less intelligent permanently.

:facepalm:

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
My major advantage, I believe, was being taught to bilingual in reading, writing and speaking Spanish and English both.

Same here. About bilingualism being an advantage, I mean. It opened up cultural vistas that helped round our view of the world.

Ol' Da also instilled in us a love of reading, and of stretching our gray matter more generally, that follows us to this day.

He did us a great service, I think.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
My major advantage, I believe, was being taught to bilingual in reading, writing and speaking Spanish and English both.

Same here. About bilingualism being an advantage, I mean. It opened up cultural vistas that helped round our view of the world.

Ol' Da also instilled in us a love of reading, and of stretching our gray matter more generally, that follows us to this day.

He did us a great service, I think.

I think bilingualism literally engages more of the gray matter. I wasn't allowed much tv time and allowed to read all I wanted. I cannot stand watching children playing video games. I'm almost fit to be tied when I see it in the family.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Some folks are really invested in the idea of their ethnicity or class being superior, even with the glory of human cultural history that is present throughout the planet.

Christ!

For years now, I've maintained that some form of travel/study abroad, to last for several weeks at the very least, should be an integral part of the curriculum before high school graduation.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

Precisely my point, Lil.

And therein lies your mental issues. A fucking child psychologist for a dad. Hahahahahahaaaaaaa...fuck me drunk!
:LOL3:

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
Some folks are really invested in the idea of their ethnicity or class being superior, even with the glory of human cultural history that is present throughout the planet.

Christ!

For years now, I've maintained that some form of travel/study abroad, to last for several weeks at the very least, should be an integral part of the curriculum before high school graduation.
Oi pansy...we don’t want to hear your fucking life story. Go fuck your arse or sumting!
:Awesomeness:

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
And therein lies your mental issues. A fucking child psychologist for a dad. Hahahahahahaaaaaaa...fuck me drunk!

Yep. Not very original, though, Breaksie. That we turned out the way we did because our father was a child psychologist has been a running gag in the family for years now.

But thanks for playing.

(And you probably don't want to hear what it was like having a Playboy Bunny for a mother, so I'll spare you the details.)

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Christ!

I think it couldn't hurt. However, I think some people are so narrow-minded they might need to go younger.

I had a friend, he's passed now, who went with his fussy right-wing gay brother and parents to Paris years back. (Whole famiy of conservatives btw). They are having dinner and his fussy brother grouses "Why can't these fucking people speak English?" loudly in the restaurant! Even my conservative friend and parents had the grace to be embarrassed by Scott's behavior.

When Mark told me this story, all I said is "I hope to never meet your brother, I might have to kick his ass".

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Christ!

Oi pansy...we don’t want to hear your fucking life story. Go fuck your arse or sumting!
:Awesomeness:

Quiet, the adults are conversing. Now be a good boy and go play on the freeway. Wait, do you have those in Australia?

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
Much like before the War of Northern Aggression, slaves and white kids all played together.

Ah, them days right there was golden!

"Fetch mah bawl, Jim, or y'git 30 lashes!"

:daFuq2:

Well its true Blurt.

I wouldnt shit you man, you my favorite turd. hehe

iu

OP
OP
The Prowler

The Prowler

Factory Bastard

Precisely my point, Lil.

What his dad did not tell him is that even after the tests were altered to consider their culture and environment, the Eskimos still demonstrated a much lower IQ than an average white person.

It is just silly to think races can evolve to have so many different traits, but intelligence will remain consistent.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Much like before the War of Northern Aggression, slaves and white kids all played together.

Well its true Blurt.

iu

NOLA has a pretty dark history.

I lived there for a while. Lots of white slavery/trafficking....... imagine that! It just MIGHT be different than what the leftwing wants it to be.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
I dont have "data", but I just wanna say, I grew up super fucking poor. Did it make me wanna steal, beat up people, and do general no good? No, quite the opposite!

My parents were poor. My mom especially. But both were very intelligent. They worked hard and built a good life and set their children up for success.

Good deal man, thats awesome, and you are right.

My growing up is kinda complex, I didnt have 2 parents. But, my thinking in my head growing up, was I wanted to do better, but I didnt wanna be rich. I seen how some folk got when they got some money, changed them. I just wanted to be a good ol' boy, ya know? Eventually own a home, and raise a family. Well, life never goes the way you want it, but I still feel I raised my son DAMN good. He did without here and there too, but nothing like I did. He got toys from both his parents, and "Santa", not from the Salvation Army on Christmas. He didnt have to grow up in the ghetto, but not in a suburb either. Now he grown, and he doing better than me! Im so proud of him. I know, doing the best I could, I still did good.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Go have another drink you dumb fuckin lush :)

Okay girls, stop it!
Keep those werdz in mind always. (winkydink smiley)

Wize they are.

Fair, but I don't think anything has risen to "cunt" levels in a long, long while.

I’m of British decent and sometimes bitch just doesn’t cut it.

I amnalso British decent. What are you trying to lie and claim?

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter

Well its true Blurt.

iu

NOLA has a pretty dark history.

I lived there for a while. Lots of white slavery/trafficking....... imagine that! It just MIGHT be different than what the leftwing wants it to be.

Oh I know!

Sooooooooooo much they dont consider.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️

I think it couldn't hurt. However, I think some people are so narrow-minded they might need to go younger.

I had a friend, he's passed now, who went with his fussy right-wing gay brother and parents to Paris years back. (Whole famiy of conservatives btw). They are having dinner and his fussy brother grouses "Why can't these fucking people speak English?" loudly in the restaurant! Even my conservative friend and parents had the grace to be embarrassed by Scott's behavior.

When Mark told me this story, all I said is "I hope to never meet your brother, I might have to kick his ass".

I agree. First time I went exploring Europe (spent four months hitchiking from Amsterdam to Malaga and back), I was in my late teens. Guy I travelled with (a buddy from work) was a total rebel, punk rock fanatic, basically an anarchist. It was goddamn precious to see him confronted with his own, narrow-minded views as we made our way from country to country.

One great example was the first time we grabbed a "hot dog" from a street vendor in Bordeaux. Over there, hot-dogs are just called sandwiches ("sandwich merguez") and they consist of a crusty baguette section wrapped around several links of merguez sausage and three or four liberal dollops of Harissa pepper sauce. Buddy took one bite and spit it out, cursing, "Don't these fucking bastards even know how to make a goddamn hot-dog??!?!" We didn't have lots of money and hunger was an issue, but he was about to throw the rest of the sandwich away. I got him to give it to me and ate it for my next meal later that day. I quite enjoyed this new culinary experience. My taste buds were thrilled.

I'm thinking Buddy here could've benefited from some earlier and more prolonged contact with other cultures. And it's not just about food or manners or dress or customs other than ours, but about managing our own expectations more expertly when we visit another country.

On a related note:

60% - Percentage of American tourists coming to Canada who expect their change to be in USD when they pay US cash for a purchase. I shit you not.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I wonder what makes left leaners think all the people who dont think like they do are the narrow minded ones?

Isnt it ironic?

"Oh hi! I see your opinion on something isnt like mine. Surely you are narrow minded and in a bubble. My views are open and sophisticated and not narrow at all. Work on that!"

It's like they've been told for so long the people outside the accepted leftwing thought ars closed minded, bigots, racists, ignorant....so on...that they just accept these judgements as gospel and certain "trigger words" make them shut down meaningful discourse and judge you unworthy.

Its interesting.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Oh, Dovey.

I didn't have to say shit to Buddy. His environment confronted his narrow views. On that day, he went hungry. I didn't.

OP
OP
The Prowler

The Prowler

Factory Bastard

Good deal man, thats awesome, and you are right.

My growing up is kinda complex, I didnt have 2 parents. But, my thinking in my head growing up, was I wanted to do better, but I didnt wanna be rich. I seen how some folk got when they got some money, changed them. I just wanted to be a good ol' boy, ya know? Eventually own a home, and raise a family. Well, life never goes the way you want it, but I still feel I raised my son DAMN good. He did without here and there too, but nothing like I did. He got toys from both his parents, and "Santa", not from the Salvation Army on Christmas. He didnt have to grow up in the ghetto, but not in a suburb either. Now he grown, and he doing better than me! Im so proud of him. I know, doing the best I could, I still did good.

You should be proud. Raising a child right is a huge responsibility and is one significant way of having a positive effect on society as a whole.

As far as what makes people happy, I say "Whatever floats your boat." As long as it is not through injustice to others.

Some people are driven to be rich. Some people want a big family. Some people want to experience a variety of interests.

But I think very few people want to live in poverty. So people in that position who are able to get out, should get out.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
I hate the way people "label" me. Im ME damn it!!! Im SO many things!!!

I was looking at some old pics lol. I found an old pic my mom took long ago, with me and one of my friends... my best black friend at the time, Leonard..... and the end is like nard, not nerd lol. Man we had some times. Anyway, just wanted to share this pic of us in Middle school, the good ol' days, just playing on a Super Nintendo, kicking each others ass on Street Fighter 2 lol. We use to walk to the bowling alley, and play it on an arcade back then too, before the Super Nintendo. I use to trade games back then, and eventually sold my old Nintendo and all the games to get a Super Nintendo and a few games. Wish I never done that in a way. I learned from that though, and still got my Super Nintendo, and other systems since. Anyway, just wanted to share this pic lol. Im wearing my Cross Colours hat, which looked a lot like this lol.....

iu

Lol, me and my friend.....

9e342f5648f3d668792af4cec3283c9ec8b48d4c.jpg