What Movie/Tv Show did you Watch today?

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter
Saw this on netflix a couple weeks ago, was much better than I expected. I give it 7 and a half rotten tomatoes.

DISCLAIMER: I've always been a sucker for movies with immortals in them, or movies that fuck around with time travel.

Have you seen Arrival?

No. I understand it was well received, but I don't think it ticks enough boxes for me.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
I binged watched, The Great. It's dark, satirical, and bloody funny about Catherine the Great, Empress of Russia. 2 seasons, 20 episodes.

Liked the first season, really struggle with the second. Great dialogue in some episodes, but it gets left flat.

I watched the newest episode of Yellowstone.... perhaps the greatest series ever made.

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I binged watched, The Great. It's dark, satirical, and bloody funny about Catherine the Great, Empress of Russia. 2 seasons, 20 episodes.

Liked the first season, really struggle with the second. Great dialogue in some episodes, but it gets left flat.

I watched the newest episode of Yellowstone.... perhaps the greatest series ever made.

ok... yellowstone next!~

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

ok... yellowstone next!~

It will floor you....

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
5 Merican Football Games, after wave riding for 3 hours. Off shores all day.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Have you seen Arrival?
No. I understand it was well received, but I don't think it ticks enough boxes for me.

That's too bad.

Great, "cerebral-with-a-heart" science fiction is so hard to come by in this age of whooshing-in-the-vacuum-of-space ships, Viking gods in cosmic combat, and other assorted baby Yodas.

Just like I did with Annihilation (another thinking person's sci-fi flick) and the original Jeff Vandermeer trilogy of novellas that were its source, I went and re-read the story by Ted Chiang upon which Arrival is based, just so I could better ground my appreciation for the extent to which Time itself is a language (and a protagonist) in the film, and then watched the movie again.

It ranks up there, as a science fiction gem, with (in no particular order):

- 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Annihilation
- Primer
- Under the Skin (best sci-fi creepfest this side of Alien)
- Cloud Atlas
- Moon
- Donnie Darko
- Brazil
- The Fountain
- Sunshine
- Ex Machina
- Inception
- District 9

...and a handful of others.

As always, though, to each their own.

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter
Have you seen Arrival?

That's too bad.

Great, "cerebral-with-a-heart" science fiction is so hard to come by in this age of whooshing-in-the-vacuum-of-space ships, Viking gods in cosmic combat, and other assorted baby Yodas.

Just like I did with Annihilation (another thinking person's sci-fi flick) and the original Jeff Vandermeer trilogy of novellas that were its source, I went and re-read the story by Ted Chiang upon which Arrival is based, just so I could better ground my appreciation for the extent to which Time itself is a language (and a protagonist) in the film, and then watched the movie again.

- Annihilation
- Primer
- Cloud Atlas
- Moon
- Donnie Darko
- Brazil
- The Fountain
- Sunshine
- Ex Machina
- Inception
- District 9

Holy shit mang, I've only seen maybe 3 of the films on yer list. I admit, I'm not much of a movie guy.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Some of those are totally worth the time spent on watching them, Levon.

Like all good stories, be they in print or on film, they stay with you long after they end and your brain keeps bringing them up again, wanting to turn them over this way and that, like a mesmerizing bauble.

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Have you seen Arrival?

That's too bad.

- Annihilation
- Primer
- Cloud Atlas
- Moon
- Donnie Darko
- Brazil
- The Fountain
- Sunshine
- Ex Machina
- Inception
- District 9

I read Ted Chiang's story for the first time after seeing the movie. I thought that story was fucking brilliant. :FuckYEAH:

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Did anyone see the French series, "The Revenants"? Or, The Returned. I heard they tried to do a US version, but it bombed. The French series was really good.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Nope.

I'll admit I'm all zombied out at this point. Last zombie vehicles for me were Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later, AMC's The Walking Dead season 3, and the Tell Tale Games The Walking Dead.

I'm done with the whole hoodoo voodoo juju schtick.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
I just finished 4 hours at the Capitol on HBO…

OMG these people are animals.

I watched it too. What kind of fuckhead do you have to be to deny what we can see?

I didn’t realize how violent this attack was and how traumatized the capital police and people who worked in the building were by this. 4 police officers committed suicide following this insurrection.

Who in the fuck do they think they are? Seriously?

They should have been killed for treason.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I just finished 4 hours at the Capitol on HBO…

OMG these people are animals.

I watched it too. What kind of fuckhead do you have to be to deny what we can see?

I didn’t realize how violent this attack was and how traumatized the capital police and people who worked in the building were by this. 4 police officers committed suicide following this insurrection.

Who in the fuck do they think they are? Seriously?

They should have been killed for treason.

They were vile. Absolute monsters and deserve to be executed for treason indeed.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
I watched Tom Hanks’ News of the World last night. The girl in the movie is the daughter of German immigrants who were slaughtered by Indians. She was taken by that tribe and raised by them until the Army killed her Indian family and sent her to be returned to her aunt and uncle.

Just in time too… Mariah Carrey was thawed and ready at midnight… It’s officially Christmas season!

I’m watching Elf next. Santa!!!

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
The Power Of The Dog…

I don’t know what to really say about this flick, other than a bit of “broke back” twist and mud baths! It’s not your conventional cowboy rodeo show- put it that way. It’s won a few awards…but you’ll have to make up your own mind on this one.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
The Power Of The Dog…

I don’t know what to really say about this flick, other than a bit of “broke back” twist and mud baths! It’s not your conventional cowboy rodeo show- put it that way. It’s won a few awards…but you’ll have to make up your own mind on this one.

I think the tension in the movie results in an unsurprising surprise though. I was expecting something to happen between those two "broke back" characters, but wasn't sure which way it was going to go. I was satisfied that it took the twist it did.

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
i tried watching the handmaids tale but it was just too woke, plodding and absurd

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I binged watched, The Great. It's dark, satirical, and bloody funny about Catherine the Great, Empress of Russia. 2 seasons, 20 episodes. You
It watched the newest episode of Yellowstone.... perhaps the greatest series ever made.

We binged watched Yellowstone so we have caught up. It's very good indeed. I LOVE binge watching stuff.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
I binged watched, The Great. It's dark, satirical, and bloody funny about Catherine the Great, Empress of Russia. 2 seasons, 20 episodes. You
It watched the newest episode of Yellowstone.... perhaps the greatest series ever made.

We binged watched Yellowstone so we have caught up. It's very good indeed. I LOVE binge watching stuff.

It's so good, right?

My brother lived in that exact area about 18 years ago and remembers driving by where the set is.... but he's dirty about the backdrop and details of the show like he is with the show "Alaska: The Last Frontier" (set in Gnome where he also was for a few years), but his new wife wants to move to where the Yellowstone series is filmed and he just goes "baby, that window closed 18-20 years ago... we wouldn't get anything decent now for less than 600k USD easy" (nearly a million AUD and no land to speak of). Everybody wants to move away from the troubled coastal cities and they've hyperinflated that region....

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

It's so good, right?

My brother lived in that exact area about 18 years ago and remembers driving by where the set is.... but he's dirty about the backdrop and details of the show like he is with the show "Alaska: The Last Frontier" (set in Gnome where he also was for a few years), but his new wife wants to move to where the Yellowstone series is filmed and he just goes "baby, that window closed 18-20 years ago... we wouldn't get anything decent now for less than 600k USD easy" (nearly a million AUD and no land to speak of). Everybody wants to move away from the troubled coastal cities and they've hyperinflated that region....

season 4 ep 6 was good when he told that activist that her vegan diet killed lizards, snakes, frogs and moles ( plus many more animals) so that really nailed her arse.

lovely place indeed. I'll talk about it when I talk to you next.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

It's so good, right?

season 4 ep 6 was good when he told that activist that her vegan diet killed lizards, snakes, frogs and moles ( plus many more animals) so that really nailed her arse.

lovely place indeed. I'll talk about it when I talk to you next.

"The Expanse" is another good series to binge watch... the latest season just started this week.

Futuristic series between Earth, the Republic of Mars, and the Belters (people doing the hard yards on the fringes)... good acting....great effects.... the series has legs.