What R U doing...... RIGHT NOW!!?

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Laying on in bed with Squish while she dozes.

It's been a long day for me and a busy day for her....sisters wore her out today lol.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
Contemplating salvaging the maple cabinets installed circa 1940s with all the grandma vibes and painting them a navy blueish color with a Spanish tile floor or gutting the whole damn thing… what to do… what to do….

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
Contemplating salvaging the maple cabinets installed circa 1940s with all the grandma vibes and painting them a navy blueish color with a Spanish tile floor or gutting the whole damn thing… what to do… what to do….

Halt!

My mother got into some trouble with this....

She always considered any old piece of furniture no matter how run down as worthy of a treatment.

But she soon realized that there are nuances involved in antiques and she probably ruined dozens of pieces.

So she got an aging master carpenter on board and he told her what to do and NOT to do.

In the end, she sent her buys to him without any paint stripping or modifications, and he'd restore it them for 5x what she would have got with a heat gun and putty knife, or solvents...

One piece....our jelly cabinet, looked like a piece of nailed together driftwood at the base and with wore away green paint in slight striations, and that master builder sold it for 3500.00 in early 1990's dollars because it was untouched.

My mother initially thought she'd paint it or sell it at a garage sale for 50 bucks.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️

Halt!

She always considered any old piece of furniture no matter how run down as worthy of a treatment.

But she soon realized that there are nuances involved in antiques and she probably ruined dozens of pieces.

So she got an aging master carpenter on board and he told her what to do and NOT to do.

In the end, she sent her buys to him without any paint stripping or modifications, and he'd restore it them for 5x what she would have got with a heat gun and putty knife, or solvents...

One piece....our jelly cabinet, looked like a piece of nailed together driftwood at the base and with wore away green paint in slight striations, and that master builder sold it for 3500.00 in early 1990's dollars because it was untouched.

My mother initially thought she'd paint it or sell it at a garage sale for 50 bucks.

Honestly, I’m not sure if they are worth anything. I’ll have to ask my godfather who is a retired union carpenter. They were installed in the kitchen when the house was built in the 1940s and have taken a beating over the years. I wanted to salvage them more for sentimental value, but I like the look of the newer style navy blue cabinet against the Spanish title floor that I plan on integrating a small hand-painted design tile into. I’m thinking more Spanish colonial for the kitchen (not Mexican restaurant) since the rest of the house is pretty modern.

If the paint job made the cabinets look decent, I was going to finish it all off with new counters (I’m thinking soapstone since it’s durable and you can refinish it easily), a farm sink, backsplash of hand painted traditional tiles with stainless steel industrial appliances and a vintage looking hood for the stove. I’m not sure how I feel about wood finish against a traditional Spanish floor… that’s a lot of brown.

I wish we had antiques here like what you find in your originating neck of the woods.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

Halt!

Honestly, I’m not sure if they are worth anything. I’ll have to ask my godfather who is a retired union carpenter. They were installed in the kitchen when the house was built in the 1940s and have taken a beating over the years. I wanted to salvage them more for sentimental value, but I like the look of the newer style navy blue cabinet against the Spanish title floor that I plan on integrating a small hand-painted design tile into. I’m thinking more Spanish colonial for the kitchen (not Mexican restaurant) since the rest of the house is pretty modern.

If the paint job made the cabinets look decent, I was going to finish it all off with new counters (I’m thinking soapstone since it’s durable and you can refinish it easily), a farm sink, backsplash of hand painted traditional tiles with stainless steel industrial appliances and a vintage looking hood for the stove. I’m not sure how I feel about wood finish against a traditional Spanish floor… that’s a lot of brown.

I wish we had antiques here like what you find in your originating neck of the woods.

Depression Glass... do you know it?

It's not far off from your decor..

Any estate sale in the 80's or 90's had an auction and give away... a lot of it poorer China and depression glass.

Try to buy that shit now...

If you've got 1940's maple furniture or walnut, or anything not pine... it's got real value.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️

Halt!

Any estate sale in the 80's or 90's had an auction and give away... a lot of it poorer China and depression glass.

If you've got 1940's maple furniture or walnut, or anything not pine... it's got real value.

I have my Irish Catholic grandmother’s china from her wedding in England before they came over. I have the trunk my great grandmother traveled from Norway with. I have a candy dish that is depression glass. I pick up pieces here and there since I’m an avid antique shopper… but most of what I have was passed down from family.

I didn’t want to replace the cabinets because they are maple and I don’t like being wasteful. I’m sold now on keeping them. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

Halt!

I have my Irish Catholics grandmother’s china from her wedding in England before they came over. I have the trunk my great grandmother traveled from Norway with. I have a candy dish that is depression glass. I pick up pieces here and there since I’m an avid antique shopper… but most of what I have was passed down from family.

I didn’t want to replace the cabinets because they are maple and I don’t like being wasteful. I’m sold now on keeping them. Thanks for the advice.

When I was 16, my mum alerted me to a claw footed bath tub for sale for 500 bucks.

It was unused, still in the packing crat, and from around 1887-1897...

My mother wanted me to buy a house and put it in. I wasn't interested in bath tubs or houses.... BUT that was a one of a kind claw footed tub antique unmarked and still in the crate with shavings...

Can you imagine what that would go for in 2021?

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️

Halt!

I have my Irish Catholics grandmother’s china from her wedding in England before they came over. I have the trunk my great grandmother traveled from Norway with. I have a candy dish that is depression glass. I pick up pieces here and there since I’m an avid antique shopper… but most of what I have was passed down from family.

When I was 16, my mum alerted me to a claw footed bath tub for sale for 500 bucks.

My mother wanted me to buy a house and put it in. I wasn't interested in bath tubs or houses.... BUT that was a one of a kind claw footed tub antique unmarked and still in the crate with shavings...

I’d pay $3,000 for something like that. Although, I’m positive it’s worth much more. $3k would be my stopping point. They make new ones for $800ish. I’m looking into getting one of those.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

Halt!

I’d pay $3,000 for something like that. Although, I’m positive it’s worth much more. $3k would be my stopping point. They make new ones for $800ish. I’m looking into getting one of those.

I reckon if a museum didn't buy it, somebody would pay up to 25k USD for it...

A virgin claw foot from the 1800's... consider who would desire it..

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

About two and half years ago we redid the kitchen, bathrooms, and flooring as well as the appliances. You'd be amazed how much better and more modern the place looks with modern cabinets and our house was only built in the late 1980's. If your house was built in the 1940's then that would be twice as true.

With all the pre-made cabinets available these days it night not even be as expensive as you think.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
Why is Seaboobies negging my last comment?

Is he afraid that a late 1800's tub may be his personal information?

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Strange question. I’m not into antiques.

Where is the last place your traveled by plane ?

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️

Halt!

I reckon if a museum didn't buy it, somebody would pay up to 25k USD for it...

A virgin claw foot from the 1800's... consider who would desire it..

I’d contact an auction house and pay for the appraisal… but that’s me

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️

About two and half years ago we redid the kitchen, bathrooms, and flooring as well as the appliances. You'd be amazed how much better and more modern the place looks with modern cabinets and our house was only built in the late 1980's. If your house was built in the 1940's then that would be twice as true.

With all the pre-made cabinets available these days it night not even be as expensive as you think.

Well, peeling off decades worth of layers of shelf-paper isn’t going to be easy or fun… and getting my retired father over to sand them might be tricky, but he was a hobby surfboard shaper back in the day and I wouldn’t trust anyone but him to do that.

Plus it was him and his 4 brothers who dented and banged them up over the years… so I’m gonna pull the “but daddy” pouty face until he bends to my will.

But I think the new stuff feels cheap tbh. And these are BIG cabinets… the top cabinets go all the way to the ceiling.

I think Harry is right… saving the wood will be worth it.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Just got back from a walk with my wife and the 11 year old. Went to the San Diego River Park, only did a 2.25 mile loop, but it is better than nothing. I've been trying to do at least some form of exercise every day. Breakfast this morning was a glass of OJ, lunch was some quinoa salad from Costco with a glass of pomegranate juice, and dinner will be a vegetable stir fry with a bit of rice.

Trying to diet and get healthier.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
Just had an effervescent vitamin tablet in water and a nuked meat pie.... breakfast of champions...

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Sitting here remembering the old McDonald's cheddar melt. I have no idea why I am remembering this after 30 years but I suddenly want one.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
Just finished some leftover chicken and avocado pasta and now sipping on a cup of green tea with jasmine...

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
Enjoying a nice cup of coffee and some fresh pineapple.
Amigo...bad combo. One or the other or some time between surely?

My morning habit for the last 20 years. I change it up sometimes. Mango, Banana, etc. I’m gonna ride my bike to Playa Avellanas later.
I would’ve thought the acidity would stuff with the coffee aroma? Have a good one...it’s nearly midnight...gonna cut some zzzzzzz’s!
:ThumbsUp1:

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I have always wondered how Sea still has a stomach lining after eating pineapple with coffee every morning lol.

Sounds like something that would have me in the fetal position by lunch lol

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
I have always wondered how Sea still has a stomach lining after eating pineapple with coffee every morning lol.

Sounds like something that would have me in the fetal position by lunch lol
Particularly in the morning. It’s a clash of the taste senses! Oh well...different strokes and all that! Catcha later!
:ThumbsUp1: