What R U doing...... RIGHT NOW!!?

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
What was he in for again? Failure to not tinkle on a crowded roadhouse counter top?
Breach of the peace
Breach of a non harrassment order
Racial abuse
Breach of bail

So in other words, nothing that would have been anything other than a misdemeanour and community service 1-2 decades ago....
Pretty much bro... It's all over and done with now, I've got 140 hours of unpaid work and 4 months on this tag though
CrocDWr.jpg
Try get horticulture work...it’s outdoors and a breeze!
I'm in Scotland bro, indoors packing clothes for the poor is the way to go ha
Yeah, I forgot that you live in the drizzle zone. Yeah packing does seem a better option, and you can zone out on music.
I can't complain, this countries beauty takes my breath away sometimes... I'm going solo camping up North as soon as this thing is off my ankle... Chasing a 30 pike
I just came away from a camping (surf) trip too. I’m locking in another one in two months. Good to camp and get away.

We got back from a 6 day trip near the border of Vic/NSW about a month ago... I never sleep as good as when I'm on the ground. No matter how comfy a mattress is, the moment I wake up in the morning in the bush, it's like biology is refreshed. Must be a resonance thing or lack of electrical shit all around, or both...
It's like a primal thing, mornings are good for the soul when you're surrounded by nature... The best things in life are free for sure

I could down a bottle of whiskey at home and wake up seedy as fuck the following day.

Do it in the bush and I'm springing up at sunrise like a really chill terminator and chopping wood to fry some bacon and eggs and boil the billy...
Yeah man I can relate "what hangover? The fire needs feeding!" :SmokeBreak1:

Nahh... I wake up and ask myself where is my hangover? It's not there.... I check the bottle and scratch my head.... I've misplaced my hangover. There should be one, but no sign of it...

In the last ten years I have had, maybe, a dozen hang overs? I drink but just don't seem to get hang overs. I suspect it is the Scottish genes? I do drink a lot of water though so maybe it is that.

I would drink a glass of water after every alcoholic drink and I never got grossly hammered or too hung over the next day. I would have a mild headache that went away as soon as I smelled coffee.

I was reading your other convo and when we were considering renting this place out after we renovated it, I was doing a ton of reading and research into being a landlord, and I watched some youtube channels by landlords as well.(those eviction videos were entertaining AF)

Most of them said they love renting to the elderly and section 8 renters because they have the least problems getting rent paid. Has that been your experience?

We decided not to rent it out at all and just move it.(I'd rather watch other people have to evict bad tenants than ever have to do that myself lol. I read about scorned tenants destroying the place out of spite or even "accidently" burning it down)

Of the three properties we currently rent out two are rented to section 8 and one is market rate. With section 8 you automatically get 2/3rds to 3/4ths (it depends exactly upon the sliding scale the city housing commission sets up) of the rent from the government and the government always pays on time so that is nice. Of the other 25%-33% it may only be $600 per month which is at risk from the renter not paying but typically people on section 8 know they are getting a hell of a deal and that they might lose their section 8 if they fail to pay so they have always paid in my experience. The market rate unit was great for seven years then suddenly the woman stopped paying in June of last year despite still having the same job and experiencing no lose in income according to her. She basically fucked us for several months (if I recall we finally got her out in mid Oct of 2020) so we got stiffed on five months of rent. We won't even legally get to sue her for back rent until Aug of 2021. She just pocketed the money and used it as a down payment to buy a one bedroom apartment with her boyfriend. Oh, she also trashed the rental unit which is in the nice Scripps Ranch area of San Diego so we had to spend around $10k rehabbing the place (new paint, new blinds, new carpet in rooms not tiled or covered in hardwood flooring) and stuff like that. When we do sue her she most likely won't pay so we will have to put a lien on her apartment and wait until she wants to sell it or refinance and finds out she can't and has to settle with us. That could take years.

This month has been an expensive month for us because one of the other properties (a 4 bed/2 bath townhouse in the Mira Mesa area) which has a single mom and her three kids renting it using section 8... They have been renting for six years from us and over that time they cracked the fiber glass bottom of the bathtub in one bathroom and the fiberglass bottom in the master bath as well. They didn't tell us about that and we only noticed it ordering our yearly site inspection when the lease is renewed. We had to replace both fiberglass show/bathtubs and have a certified contractor repair water damage and test for mold. Luckily no mold and little water damage as the concrete basin under the fiberglass seemed to stop most of the water from spreading. Still, that cost almost $14,000 in and of itself but hopefully the replacements will last 30 years.

As a landlord you have set aside some money to deal with unexpected stuff. Like if a furnace breaks or a water pipe fails, etc... Also make sure you keep a good surface policy for landlords/rented out property as when stuff goes wrong it can get very expensive.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
A big part of the landlord business is how much your costs are vs how much you can rent the property out for. There are a lot of videos on this and you need to really pay attention to that topic otherwise you might find your costs higher than what your rental brings in.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
If there is a realestate investing club or group in your area it might be a good use of time to go to one of their monthly meetings. Those are normally completely free. You will find everyone from first time landlords to people who own dozens of units who have been doing it for 50 years. They will have tons of practical advice which you can learn from. Buy a cup of coffee and listen to them because you will learn about topics ranging from how to write a rental agreement to how to vet prospective renters to how to best approach people who are behind on rent to learning about which contractors in your area does good work cheap, etc... It helps if your spouse and you are both handy with tools and can do a bit of DIY.

If you are really lucky you might even meet an investor who is looking for good deals on realestate. Basically, they will often pay a finders fee if you can identify a property for sale where the numbers pencil out to make financial sense as a rental. That way even if you don't have money to invest yourself you can still make a few grand on the finders fee. It is worth an hour or so per month to go to those group meetings to network, sip coffee, and learn a bit from experienced people.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I actually really hate people well enough as it is, but its certainly an interesting topic.

I want to keep this place but who knows what the future brings.

Swamp-Duck

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Apparently we’re allowed out now, you can meet-up with 6 people, oh joy we can go out, how about opening stuff so we’ve got somewhere to go....

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
Apparently we’re allowed out now, you can meet-up with 6 people, oh joy we can go out, how about opening stuff so we’ve got somewhere to go....

Yay!

My brother flying in from Seattle as I type. He's been in quarantine the whole year. Just getting on a plane was different for him. He took a pic, and it looks like he has on a clear, bottomless trash can on his head, plus a mask lol. I guess its good for the plane, but he better take that trash can off when he gets here lol. He wont know what to think after this week, Im taking him lots of places lol.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
Woke up and realized it's Good Friday... nothing is fucking open.... shhhhsh...

Mr. 5050

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Playing on my phone with my 1yr old girl asleep on my lap... I hope she wakes up in a good mood...

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
Drinking strawberry and watermelon herb tea with some mint. My liver is detoxing.

Lol, fuckin' hell, I got drunk as fuck Friday night. My friend was pulling out multiple moonshine jars, we were doing tastings. THEN he broke out the big boy, 153 proof! Few of those and I was done lol. Head was bangin' the next day.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Drinking coffee and reading. Its thunderstorming pretty hard outside and my Prudey has burrowed under the blanket next to me and shes trembling :(

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Jeanne wants me to come over and look at a switch in her bedroom. Knowing her, it’s code for a different meaning. I’ll bring my tools just in case.

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
What was he in for again? Failure to not tinkle on a crowded roadhouse counter top?
Breach of the peace
Breach of a non harrassment order
Racial abuse
Breach of bail

So in other words, nothing that would have been anything other than a misdemeanour and community service 1-2 decades ago....
Pretty much bro... It's all over and done with now, I've got 140 hours of unpaid work and 4 months on this tag though
CrocDWr.jpg
Try get horticulture work...it’s outdoors and a breeze!
I'm in Scotland bro, indoors packing clothes for the poor is the way to go ha
Yeah, I forgot that you live in the drizzle zone. Yeah packing does seem a better option, and you can zone out on music.
I can't complain, this countries beauty takes my breath away sometimes... I'm going solo camping up North as soon as this thing is off my ankle... Chasing a 30 pike
I just came away from a camping (surf) trip too. I’m locking in another one in two months. Good to camp and get away.

We got back from a 6 day trip near the border of Vic/NSW about a month ago... I never sleep as good as when I'm on the ground. No matter how comfy a mattress is, the moment I wake up in the morning in the bush, it's like biology is refreshed. Must be a resonance thing or lack of electrical shit all around, or both...
It's like a primal thing, mornings are good for the soul when you're surrounded by nature... The best things in life are free for sure

I could down a bottle of whiskey at home and wake up seedy as fuck the following day.

Do it in the bush and I'm springing up at sunrise like a really chill terminator and chopping wood to fry some bacon and eggs and boil the billy...
Yeah man I can relate "what hangover? The fire needs feeding!" :SmokeBreak1:

Nahh... I wake up and ask myself where is my hangover? It's not there.... I check the bottle and scratch my head.... I've misplaced my hangover. There should be one, but no sign of it...

In the last ten years I have had, maybe, a dozen hang overs? I drink but just don't seem to get hang overs. I suspect it is the Scottish genes? I do drink a lot of water though so maybe it is that.

I would drink a glass of water after every alcoholic drink and I never got grossly hammered or too hung over the next day. I would have a mild headache that went away as soon as I smelled coffee.

I was reading your other convo and when we were considering renting this place out after we renovated it, I was doing a ton of reading and research into being a landlord, and I watched some youtube channels by landlords as well.(those eviction videos were entertaining AF)

Most of them said they love renting to the elderly and section 8 renters because they have the least problems getting rent paid. Has that been your experience?

We decided not to rent it out at all and just move it.(I'd rather watch other people have to evict bad tenants than ever have to do that myself lol. I read about scorned tenants destroying the place out of spite or even "accidently" burning it down)

Of the three properties we currently rent out two are rented to section 8 and one is market rate. With section 8 you automatically get 2/3rds to 3/4ths (it depends exactly upon the sliding scale the city housing commission sets up) of the rent from the government and the government always pays on time so that is nice. Of the other 25%-33% it may only be $600 per month which is at risk from the renter not paying but typically people on section 8 know they are getting a hell of a deal and that they might lose their section 8 if they fail to pay so they have always paid in my experience. The market rate unit was great for seven years then suddenly the woman stopped paying in June of last year despite still having the same job and experiencing no lose in income according to her. She basically fucked us for several months (if I recall we finally got her out in mid Oct of 2020) so we got stiffed on five months of rent. We won't even legally get to sue her for back rent until Aug of 2021. She just pocketed the money and used it as a down payment to buy a one bedroom apartment with her boyfriend. Oh, she also trashed the rental unit which is in the nice Scripps Ranch area of San Diego so we had to spend around $10k rehabbing the place (new paint, new blinds, new carpet in rooms not tiled or covered in hardwood flooring) and stuff like that. When we do sue her she most likely won't pay so we will have to put a lien on her apartment and wait until she wants to sell it or refinance and finds out she can't and has to settle with us. That could take years.

This month has been an expensive month for us because one of the other properties (a 4 bed/2 bath townhouse in the Mira Mesa area) which has a single mom and her three kids renting it using section 8... They have been renting for six years from us and over that time they cracked the fiber glass bottom of the bathtub in one bathroom and the fiberglass bottom in the master bath as well. They didn't tell us about that and we only noticed it ordering our yearly site inspection when the lease is renewed. We had to replace both fiberglass show/bathtubs and have a certified contractor repair water damage and test for mold. Luckily no mold and little water damage as the concrete basin under the fiberglass seemed to stop most of the water from spreading. Still, that cost almost $14,000 in and of itself but hopefully the replacements will last 30 years.

As a landlord you have set aside some money to deal with unexpected stuff. Like if a furnace breaks or a water pipe fails, etc... Also make sure you keep a good surface policy for landlords/rented out property as when stuff goes wrong it can get very expensive.

Wow. So many things about that post that are revelatory of you as a person. But I will just mention 2.

1, You are constantly bitching about California, and yet you have properties there and are benefitting finanically from the state you hate.

2, You spent 10k for carpets and paint? You got suckered.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
I ordered all the burrito and taco stuff just now for the fortnightly shop.

Saved 97.00 bucks and played their bulk buy system to get larger quantities/sizes when something invariably runs out of stock.

Every 12-24 months they change their policies. I'm convinced my online account is perpetually getting analysed in a board room... lulz