What video games did you play on your very first computer?

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I got my first PC back in late '93, just in time for the Doom Episode 1 shareware download.

During those first couple of years, I also played Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Wolfenstein, Lemmings, Commander Keen, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Doom II, Rise of the Triad, Myst (some of which have now recently been ported to the Xbox One), Riven, Tomb Raider, and tons of shareware games taken from computer magazine CD-ROMs.

Ah, the good ol' days when a Pentium 486 DX II, 66 Mhz machine, with a 2x optical drive, 2 MBs of RAM, a 60 MB hard drive, floppy disk drives, and a SoundBlaster card could run the world.

Full Throttle, damn, that game was fucking awesome. I'd had never beaten it if I hadn't used a walkthrough in a games magazine to solve the parts were I got stuck, like when you had to use the rabbit to blow the landmines

My 2nd PC was a 486 DX-100, they had a huge drop in price after the Pentium was released and I managed to buy one with the money I was making in my first job, took me 14 months to pay the loan my mom gave me, but I never cared, I didn't have time to spend money with a beast like that in my room LOL

Played the Dooms, Heretic, Descent, Monkey Island II and III, Day of the Tentacle, the Indiana Jones Adventures, Need for Speed, Quarantine, Out of this World, Vikings and so many more.

With only 8 megs of RAM, building config.sys and autoexec.bat to fiddle with extended and base memory was a real pain in the ass. Doom II was a good example. To make it run with full sound, I had to disable the mouse driver.

Myst was also problematic and I remember it constantly froze when the guy was in the boat and got the first demon in the middle of the lake. I could never pass beyond that point.

Graphics cards for gaming must be prohibitively expensive and hard to get in Brazil these days, eh?

A standard high end card runs ya $1500-3000 these days in Canada or the US.

OP
OP
Blurt

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
A lot of people aren't interested in video games.

Then you're in the wrong thread, Humphrey Halfwit.

EXIT ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------≥≥≥

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
A lot of people aren't interested in video games.

Then you're in the wrong thread, Humphrey Halfwit.

EXIT ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------≥≥≥

But I'm getting interested Blurt.

Even got the software to create these games or their interfaces/components eh. Like 3D studio and maya.

I think u can create ur own games using c programming language.

Anyways won't ruin yer fun or talk too much more bout it

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️
You can run those old Windows operating systems on a Mac using Parallels or Virtual PC. Windows 98 2000.

I'm running Windows 10 on a Mac & it runs perfectly. Really high end software too like Autocad and 3D studio max. That's very impressive and was surely the product of a programmer who was a genius to make it work on a Mac like that.

I install VMware a few years ago and visited some of those old games, especially the DOS ones, great flashback.

3D Studio also brings me good memories, my sister had a boyfriend who had a photo / video studio and he had 3d Studio 4 for DOS. He used it to make vignettes for his videos and he got me a copy. Made some money with it back then doing small animations for stores to use as screen savers on their PCs and even a few TV ads on the local TV station.

Having to keep the PC on the whole night to render a project wasn't fun, though.

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️
I got my first PC back in late '93, just in time for the Doom Episode 1 shareware download.

During those first couple of years, I also played Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Wolfenstein, Lemmings, Commander Keen, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Doom II, Rise of the Triad, Myst (some of which have now recently been ported to the Xbox One), Riven, Tomb Raider, and tons of shareware games taken from computer magazine CD-ROMs.

Ah, the good ol' days when a Pentium 486 DX II, 66 Mhz machine, with a 2x optical drive, 2 MBs of RAM, a 60 MB hard drive, floppy disk drives, and a SoundBlaster card could run the world.

Full Throttle, damn, that game was fucking awesome. I'd had never beaten it if I hadn't used a walkthrough in a games magazine to solve the parts were I got stuck, like when you had to use the rabbit to blow the landmines

My 2nd PC was a 486 DX-100, they had a huge drop in price after the Pentium was released and I managed to buy one with the money I was making in my first job, took me 14 months to pay the loan my mom gave me, but I never cared, I didn't have time to spend money with a beast like that in my room LOL

Played the Dooms, Heretic, Descent, Monkey Island II and III, Day of the Tentacle, the Indiana Jones Adventures, Need for Speed, Quarantine, Out of this World, Vikings and so many more.

With only 8 megs of RAM, building config.sys and autoexec.bat to fiddle with extended and base memory was a real pain in the ass. Doom II was a good example. To make it run with full sound, I had to disable the mouse driver.

Myst was also problematic and I remember it constantly froze when the guy was in the boat and got the first demon in the middle of the lake. I could never pass beyond that point.

Graphics cards for gaming must be prohibitively expensive and hard to get in Brazil these days, eh?

Ughhh don't even get me started on that, Joe

I have a EVGA 1070 OC that I got five years ago, I take good care of it because now a used one costs 3x what I paid in 2016.

A top of the line GPU here today costs as much as a good used car. it's actually cheaper to go another country, buy one and then come back, since we have import taxes here that practically double the price and with the dollar at almost 6 reals, well, you're fucked.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

OP
OP
Blurt

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
I've also used 3DS Max, Maya, ZBrush, and ACSS. Don't know what Joe's talking about... rendering a 3D image and creating a video game are diferent beasts. Way different.

Joe might want to try his hand at Bink or Unity.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I have a EVGA 1070 OC that I got five years ago, I take good care of it because now a used one costs 3x what I paid in 2016.

A top of the line GPU here today costs as much as a good used car. it's actually cheaper to go another country, buy one and then come back, since we have import taxes here that practically double the price and with the dollar at almost 6 reals, well, you're fucked.

So how much did u pay for ur card?

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I've also used 3DS Max, Maya, ZBrush, and ACSS. Don't know what Joe's talking about... rendering a 3D image and creating a video game are diferent beasts. Way different.

Joe might want to try his hand at Bink or Unity.

Yeah unity.

That's the one.

A game engine.

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️
Ohhh remembered another I played and actually beat it on my 486, Cyberia

A truly masterpiece back in the day, a game changer for sure.

I remember it was done on 3D Studio and then they used MaxScript and C++ to turn it into a game.

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️

So how much did u pay for ur card?

It was a little over $500 with taxes, my ex mother in law brought it for me.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Dungeon Keeper

I LOVED this game lol. First pc game I ever played. I played Everquest, Diablo, the Marrowind prophecy (?) games. Oblivion I think?

And of course WoW. After that i had kids and couldnt really nerd out as hard. I played Guild Wars for a minute and that online FF....I hated it.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
Well, since y'all counting game systems lol, my first one was an Atari 2600. I had like 40 games, built them up trading. Cant even think of some of the names its been so long. I'll have to revisit this thread lol.

As far as my first puter, it was in 2003 I think, and I bought it for the sole purpose of playing an online game my friend played, Dark Age of Camelot. That shit was cool. I would get off work late at night after delivering pizzas, not shit on tv, and would play that til dawn. For 4 years lol. On dial up at first! That shit sucked lol.

That puter didnt last long at all, 4-5 years. Then I got the puter, that Im still on now....a 2006 IBM puter, running Windows XP lol.

Need for Speed, and Medal of Honor was some other games on the puter. And tried World of Warcraft for a year.

Game systems were my thing growing up though. Atari, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Playstation, Playstation 2, Nintendo 64. Then my son came along, and I got the systems for him, and played them some. Like Xbox, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox 360, Xbox 1.

I let my lil sister and lil brother use my Atari, and my mom sold it! I hated that. The Nintendo, I sold all my games and system to get the Super Nintendo and a few games. Wish I had never done that. But, Since the the Super Nintendo, I've kept all the systems.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I still love the OG NES. I would play Mario 2 again.

Then xeno gears....FF(all), Contra. River City Ransom. I liked Shadow Gate and Uninvited. Master Blaster was awesome. The Adventures of Link. I had SO MANY games.

There was an rpg I was hooked on...Magic of Scheherazade(I had to look that up lol).

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️
I have a EVGA 1070 OC that I got five years ago

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070?

That is what I am using in my current gaming machine. It is still keeping-up to the games I am playing, so I have no plans to change anytime real soon.

When I upgrade, I will probably get a whole new machine.
Right? I'm also running an i7 4790 and 16 Gb RAM. No complaints about it.

The CPU and GPU match each other perfectly, I have zero problems with bottlenecking and so far, I've run 90% of games on high or ultra. Very few I had to put on medium to stay on 60 fps.

If someone's not planning to play on 4k or 144hz, the 1070 is great.

I have a 144hz screen and many games will hit 100 fps easily.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter

Then xeno gears....FF(all), Contra. River City Ransom. I liked Shadow Gate and Uninvited. Master Blaster was awesome. The Adventures of Link. I had SO MANY games.

There was an rpg I was hooked on...Magic of Scheherazade(I had to look that up lol).

I got the SNES cartridge, that has Mario 1, 2, and 3 on it lol. Also got Super Contra.

I remember some of those.

Ninja Gaiden was one of my faves.

DDT

Factory Bastard
Retro computers can be very expensive.

The Amiga 4000 sells for $3000.
Maybe I shouldn't have thrown the Commode 64 into the trash! But to be honest, I plugged it in one last time before I turfed it a few years back (everything still worked), and it reminded me of just how terrible it was.

Games were kind of crappy with very limited graphics, joysticks were shit to use... Dot matrix printer was of limited use.

I used to drool over the latest Amiga's or Tandy's at Radio Shack, but those were quite expensive back then and I never did get one. My parents were middle class, but unfortunately I never did get everything I wanted! Had to make due with the Commode 64 while others upgraded to the latest and greatest!

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Dungeon Keeper

I LOVED this game lol. First pc game I ever played. I played Everquest, Diablo, the Marrowind prophecy (?) games. Oblivion I think?

And of course WoW. After that i had kids and couldnt really nerd out as hard. I played Guild Wars for a minute and that online FF....I hated it.

I have Dungeon Keeper in my Origin account. I plan to play it some day. It can be tough to play old games when you are used to better graphics, but there are still some classics that deserved a playthrough if you missed them.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was awesome. Some of the quest mods that are out there are so good too.

This one is so good:

1547970-1359426927.jpg

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️

I got the SNES cartridge, that has Mario 1, 2, and 3 on it lol. Also got Super Contra.

I remember some of those.

Ninja Gaiden was one of my faves.
Ninja Gaiden was fucking awesome, indeed

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
I have a EVGA 1070 OC that I got five years ago

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070?

That is what I am using in my current gaming machine. It is still keeping-up to the games I am playing, so I have no plans to change anytime real soon.

When I upgrade, I will probably get a whole new machine.
Right? I'm also running an i7 4790 and 16 Gb RAM. No complaints about it.

The CPU and GPU match each other perfectly, I have zero problems with bottlenecking and so far, I've run 90% of games on high or ultra. Very few I had to put on medium to stay on 60 fps.

If someone's not planning to play on 4k or 144hz, the 1070 is great.

I have a 144hz screen and many games will hit 100 fps easily.

I'm running a i7-7700 @ 3.60GHz

16 Gb RAM

And I run at 144 GHz...and I have not had problems. But I will say that I am a little behind in the games that I play...most are probably at least 5 years old. Edit: I do not always check the fps in games, so I might not be hitting 144 in them.

I am cheap so I wait until I get games for at least 75% off. I just bought XCOM 2 Collection for 91% off.

Are you on Epic Games? They have free games every week. A lot of indie type games, but some big titles too. I have a large collection of games with them and have not paid a dime.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Dungeon Keeper

I have Dungeon Keeper in my Origin account. I plan to play it some day. It can be tough to play old games when you are used to better graphics, but there are still some classics that deserved a playthrough if you missed them.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was awesome. Some of the quest mods that are out there are so good too.

This one is so good:

1547970-1359426927.jpg

Ahhhh Elder Scrolls. That's the one. I couldnt think of the name and I LOVED those games.

I actually love the cheesy old graphics lol. My daughters get into that as well. My 16 year old is currently playing FF9 and loving it. It was one of my favs. I've been watching her and giving pointers. Shes into the Elder Scrolls as well.

My husband is playing Destiny. He has been playing that one when he does play.....he is way too busy these days to get all absorbed into games but when he has time to chill and play...that's the one he prefers right now.

Dungeon Keeper is a great game regardless of graphics. You'll love it. It's easy to get sucked in lol

Last edited:

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
My parents were middle class, but unfortunately I never did get everything I wanted! Had to make due with the Commode 64 while others upgraded to the latest and greatest!

When I got my Atari 130XE, I believe it was $400. My parents put in half, and my sister and I had to come up with the other half.

That is the similar machine to the Commodore 128.

A few years later I bought an Atari 520ST which was the competing machine to the Amiga. I had to pay for the whole thing, which was fair because I was the only one who wanted it.

Having to pay money out of your own pocket instead of having your parents but your stuff teaches you to spend wisely.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
My parents were middle class, but unfortunately I never did get everything I wanted! Had to make due with the Commode 64 while others upgraded to the latest and greatest!

When I got my Atari 130XE, I believe it was $400. My parents put in half, and my sister and I had to come up with the other half.

A few years later I bought an Atari 520ST which was the competing machine to the Amiga. I had to pay for the whole thing, which was fair because I was the only one who wanted it.

Having to pay money out of your own pocket instead of having your parents but your stuff teaches you to spend wisely.

I bought my first NES with dog walking money. My grandma was so proud of me, when we got home....she handed me half of what I spent back.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Retro computers can be very expensive.

The Amiga 4000 sells for $3000.
Maybe I shouldn't have thrown the Commode 64 into the trash! But to be honest, I plugged it in one last time before I turfed it a few years back (everything still worked), and it reminded me of just how terrible it was.

Games were kind of crappy with very limited graphics, joysticks were shit to use... Dot matrix printer was of limited use.

I used to drool over the latest Amiga's or Tandy's at Radio Shack, but those were quite expensive back then and I never did get one. My parents were middle class, but unfortunately I never did get everything I wanted! Had to make due with the Commode 64 while others upgraded to the latest and greatest!

Well Mel & all you other Commodore Amiga buffs, here's a link for you listing Amiga dealers around the world who still sell retro computers, parts & accessories from that company in case you're interested:

They still have quite a following even tho they're not made anymore.

They are also one of the most sought after and pricey retro computers.

DDT

Factory Bastard

The Amiga's weren't so cheap back then! It would be easy to spend the equivalent of $5,000+ today on one, if you added in all the goodies!

Would've taken years of delivering newspapers on my bike to afford that!

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
......and this was Amiga's top of the line model 4000 which is being auctioned on eBay at the present moment:

Already at $1500. Gotta watch his one. Wanna see what it will fetch eh.

Maybe it'll fetch $3,000 when the bidding ends? Or $4,000?