What's for Dinner Tonight?

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Dungeness crab, snow crab, and king crab season remains closed right now. I usually like a bit of crab during winter but right now the only option is box crab and those things cost an arm and a leg. Still, I love crab with San Francisco style garlic noodles.

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I always try fish tacos because they all sound good but I never like them.

Me and my daughter were just talking about fish tacos lol. We are gonna try to make them at home and see if we can do it right.

Everyone wants shepards pie tonight so that's what I'm making. And before Break runs his yap....yes im using ground lamb. Tomorrow im making a french toast bake for the morning and just roasting a couple chickens for dinner.

Just us kicking around at home ♡
I always try fish tacos because they all sound good but I never like them.

Me and my daughter were just talking about fish tacos lol. We are gonna try to make them at home and see if we can do it right.

Everyone wants shepards pie tonight so that's what I'm making. And before Break runs his yap....yes im using ground lamb. Tomorrow im making a french toast bake for the morning and just roasting a couple chickens for dinner

To me Dorado is the fish to use. White mild, goes great with all the toppings. Might be hard to find where you are. Try Cod.

Just us kicking around at home ♡

That all sounds good too.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
"Chips" could be potato chips, french fries, taco chips, etc, depending on what part of the world you are in.

"Salsa", which means sauce in both Italian and Spanish, will usually be the type of sauce that will pair well with the particular chips. The point is that the restaurant in the story you posted was not trying to pass off potato chips and ketchup as a Mexican dish. The mistake was made by the person making the order.

This is "Fish and Chips" where I live:

1920px-Fish_and_chips_blackpool.jpg

They gave her tortilla chips with a packet of ketchup and a packet of mayo.

What is unclear to you?

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
The arrogance...Mexicans don't know how to make fish tacos. A dish they invented.
what part of "We are gonna try to make them at home and see if we can do it right" did you have the most difficulty understanding and why are you attempting to start drama on the general boards?

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
what part of "We are gonna try to make them at home and see if we can do it right" did you have the most difficulty understanding and why are you attempting to start drama on the general boards?

How do YOU know the first thing about doing it right?

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
How do YOU know the first thing about doing it right?
It's really sad that your anger on Christmas day is impacting your cognitive functions

"IF' being the key word and the definition of if is " introducing a hypothetical situation."

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
It's really sad that your anger on Christmas day is impacting your cognitive functions

"IF' being the key word and the definition of if is " introducing a hypothetical situation."

I'm not angry. I'm astounded by your inability to respect other cultures.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
How do you think that changes the implication?

Especially with the comments that you've never liked the ones you've tried.
I'm sorry your cannot read a simple statement. But really, why are you hijacking a general section thread with your anger?

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
They gave her tortilla chips with a packet of ketchup and a packet of mayo.

What is unclear to you?

No, they did not give her tortilla chips.

This is from the article: "which featured a basket of potato chips"

And if you watch the video, you will see that it was potato chips that she got. There was never an attempt to suggest or imply or state that this was a Mexican dish. It was all in the customer's head because she made an incorrect assumption.

Now if you go back and read my replies, knowing that the article said "potato chips" and not tortilla chips, this will probably all make sense to you.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

And if you watch the video, you will see that it was potato chips that she got. There was never an attempt to suggest or imply or state that this was a Mexican dish. It was all in the customer's head because she made an incorrect assumption.

Now if you go back and read my replies, knowing that the article said "potato chips" and not tortilla chips, this will probably all make sense to you.

I honestly thought what I was looking at was tortilla chips.

More importantly, "chips and salsa" is an authentic Tex-Mex dish and any American would be expecting tortilla chips with a spicy salsa. It's not her fault, but clearly it does teach a lesson in assuming anything coming out of foreigners serving Mexican. I guess she might get a cannoli when ordering a burrito in Italy? It's bullshit.

One of my best friend's just came back from a month in Southeast Asia. He ordered Mexican food in Bangkok. Tacos with rice and I think a salad. Now, it didn't taste authentically Mexican, but it was in fact a taco and it was rice. It sort of had a fusion of Thai flavors.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Anyone can read that and know you wrote "doing it right".
Anyone can see you do not have the most basic of reading comprehension skills so as to understand the context.

I'm sorry you're going through this

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Anyone can see you do not have the most basic of reading comprehension skills so as to understand the context.

I'm sorry you're going through this

You aren't accountable for your own words. That's a fact.

I'm through with you on this topic. Go ahead, spiral in hate.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
You aren't accountable for your own words. That's a fact.

I'm through with you on this topic. Go ahead, spiral in hate.
Do you really think General is the appropriate section for you to demonstrate your lack of reading comprehension?

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The arrogance...Mexicans don't know how to make fish tacos. A dish they invented.

Personally, I preferred grilled fish tacos where as the original from Ensenada is beer battered and fried. Beer batter came from the US while battered and fried fish was originally a British thing. Grilled fish tacos were more of a San Diego thing from the 1970's in an attempt to create healthier fish tacos.

Baja actually has a ton of American and even British food traditions which date back to the time before the late 1970's when Baja was a free trade zone separate from the rest of Mexico as there was no highway connecting Baja to the rest of Mexico. Trucks had to go north out of Mexico into the US then back down into Baja. So American and European goods dominated the Baja market while U.S. dollars were the official legal currency not the Peso.

Some legacies live on like if you asked for mustard in Baja to this day you will mostly get English style spicy mustard. A legacy of the old free trade zone.

Last edited:

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
This is what you will mostly see down there. A powder that is mixed up fresh whenever someone orders mustard as the spice level is very high when freshly mixed but goes down even 15 minutes after mixing. Be careful as it is far, far, far more spicy than American style mustard.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Personally, I preferred grilled fish tacos where as the original from Ensenada is here battered and fried. Beer batter came from the US while battered and fried fish was originally a British thing. Grilled fish tacos were more of a San Diego thing from the 1970's in an attempt to create healthier fish tacos.

Baja actually has a ton of American and even British food traditions which date back to the time before the late 1970's when Baja was a free trade zone separate from the rest of Mexico as there was no highway connecting Baja to the rest of Mexico. Trucks had to go north out of Mexico into the US then back down into Baja. So American and European goods dominated the Baja market while U.S. dollars were the official legal currency not the Peso.

Some legacies live on like if you asked for mustard in Baja to this day you will mostly get English style spicy mustard. A legacy of the old free trade zone.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

As a side note, I was in Thailand in 1998 and even back then a popular flavor of potato chip there was "ketchup flavored" which seemed to be tomato powder and sugar dusted on the potato chip with a slight vinegar taste. I have always disliked sugar in snack foods but all the convenience stores had it. In fact, the 7-11s in Thailand were a whole different breed from the American 7-11 stores plus that had far better snack options.