Why did they make Sir Gawain an Indian?

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The new movie The Green Knight is getting good reviews from the critics but instead of talking about the story or the quality of the acting the professional media caste seem to only talk about how "stunning and brave" it was to take a white medieval English knight and have an Indian Hindu play the character. What gives?

I was looking forward to seeing a good sword fighting film but now it seems to have gone woke so I hope it goes broke.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The new movie The Green Knight is getting good reviews from the critics but instead of talking about the story or the quality of the acting the professional media caste seem to only talk about how "stunning and brave" it was to take a white medieval English knight and have an Indian Hindu play the character. What gives?

I was looking forward to seeing a good sword fighting film but now it seems to have gone woke so I hope it goes broke.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there may have been Blacks or Brown skinned people in Medieival England.

However, you're right in one respect - they probably weren't Indian or originating from the Indian sub-continent.

So I suppose you're right. It's an historical inaccuracy.

If there were dark skinned knights they would have likely been North African or Moors.

African-Knights-In-Medieval-Europe.jpg

Blacks show up in fMedieval rescoes, sculptures and paintings tho it was most likely to be found in Central Europe or Italy.

Last edited:

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Gawain and the Green Knight is not historically accurate??? A work of fantasy is brought to the screen and and it doesn't fit with your ideas about what actual Medieval England was like? Well, fuck it. That means it must be crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there may have been Blacks or Brown skinned people in Medieival England.

However, you're right in one respect - they probably weren't Indian or originating from the Indian sub-continent.

If there were dark skinned knights they would have likely been North African or Moors.

Blacks show up in fMedieval rescoes, sculptures and paintings tho it was most likely to be found in Central Europe or Italy.

You're pretty right except for one thing: There were no passports then, and no official records regarding immigrants, so there could have been Indians, very easily.

I saw a painting of a Black Madonna in a church in Rome, Just sayin'.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Gawain and the Green Knight is not historically accurate??? A work of fantasy is brought to the screen and and it doesn't fit with your ideas about what actual Medieval England was like? Well, fuck it. That means it must be crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I think the OP is right in one respect - a Medieval Knight could not have been Indian.

Because the first known Indians to have set foot in England didn't arrive until the 17th century at the very earliest.

But there definitely Knights of Black or Moorish ethnicity fighting the armies of Europe during the Middle Ages.

THAT is a fact.

So if the filmmaker was gonna choose a dark skinned man, it should've been a Black person nt an East Indian.

In fact, he could have made note or mentioned it in the film that Knights of Black extraction did exist back then.

Holliday1881

Banned
Banned

But I think the OP is right in one respect - a Medieval Knight could not have been Indian.

Because the first known Indians to have set foot in England didn't arrive until the 17th century at the very earliest.

But there definitely Knights of Black or Moorish ethnicity fighting the armies of Europe during the Middle Ages.

THAT is a fact.

So if the filmmaker was gonna choose a dark skinned man, it should've been a Black person nt an East Indian.

In fact, he could have made note or mentioned it in the film that Knights of Black extraction did exist back then.
But isn't that what acting is all about.
pretending to be someone you are not?

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

THAT is a fact.

Perhaps, but it wouldn't be stretch if the one of the Knights was a Black person.

Because they actually existed.

Undoubtably it mayy have had to do something with their relative physical strength.

They were probably needed or in demand because fighting back then was hand to hand combat.

So of course if a person was a King/Prince in charge of raising an Army, they'd want the Biggest strongest people.

I think that'd be good to have a film featuring a Knight who is Black, because it would reflect historical reality.

The image of an all White Army of Knights might not have been historically accurate.

Holliday1881

Banned
Banned

THAT is a fact.

Perhaps, but it wouldn't be stretch if the one of the Knights was a Black person.

Undoubtably it mayy have had to do something with their relative physical strength.

They were probably needed or in demand because fighting back then was hand to hand combat.

So of course if a person was a King/Prince in charge of raising an Army, they'd want the Biggest strongest people.

I think that'd be good to have a film featuring a Knight who is Black, because it would reflect historical reality.

The image of an all White Army of Knights might not have been historically accurate.
You mean like thet ter Othello guy?

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

The first two pictures show flags with the Prussian Eagle (probably 15th or 16th century). That was in Germany not England; a full 1000 to 800 years after this setting). From Queen Elizabeth I on, yes, there were token black people in England, often slaves, but extremely rare thus why they were only in royal courts or as show pieces in the houses of the very rich, by and large. This story was supposed to be in early mideaval England (500 a.d. to 700 a.d.) so, no, there were not any appreciable non-white people. Yet the King's nephew, the only son of his half sister, is supposed to be an Indian Hindu? Given me a break!

In this settings time frame any non-Christian would have been persecuted by the church. As the Roman Empire had collapsed and the funeral societies based their entire conhession and reason de state (namely devine right of kings) upon the religious order.

Last edited:

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

The first two pictures show flags with the Prussian Eagle (probably 15th or 16th century). That was in Germany not England; a full 1000 to 800 years after this setting). From Queen Elizabeth I on, yes, there were token black people in England, often slaves, but extremely rare thus why they were only in royal courts or as show pieces in the houses of the very rich, by and large. This story was supposed to be in early mideaval England (500 a.d. to 700 a.d.) so, no, there were not any appreciable non-white people. Yet the King's nephew, the only son of his half sister, is supposed to be an Indian Hindu? Given me a break!

In this settings time frame any non-Christian would have been persecuted by the church. As the Roman Empire had collapsed and the funeral societies based their entire conhession and reason de state (namely devine right of kings) upon the religious order.

Yeah, but I indicated that historical inaccuracy earlier, Oerdin & why I thought an Indian shouldn't have been used in the role of a Knight, because there's no historical record of an East Indian setting foot in England until the 18th century.

Nevermind Knights. Indian people in England just didn't simply exist back then.

But there are historical accounts that various European Kingdoms used Knights of Black skin color in their armies.

They were probably Africans.

Stand to reason because they were big and strong.

If yer a King who's spending all this dough on army and expensive knight armor, naturally yer gonna spend it on some dude who can do the job and finish off your enemies.

Around that time, Hindus were enslaved by Muslim invaders who toke over India.

If an Indian was to be portrayed as a Knight, it would likely have been some brawny meat eating Muslim, not a scrawny Hindu whom they enslaved.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

THAT is a fact.

It is supposed to be believable as well.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

THAT is a fact.

Othello, a 16th century play character, 1000 years off from our setting? Are you bad at math and do not understand the 1000 year difference?

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

THAT is a fact.

Tes I believe that Shakespeare noted that Othello was a Moor of higher social stnaindg in his play.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
He did. He also said he had to leave his homeland due to some fuel. Thus why he became the Moor of Venice.

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

THAT is a fact.

It's also what fantasy fiction is all about. For fuck's sake, what is Gawain and the Green Knight? Reality based non-fiction?

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
He did. He also said he had to leave his homeland due to some fuel. Thus why he became the Moor of Venice.

So what? There is no way to know for a fact that there were never any Indians in England in the Middle Ages. And even if there could not have been and that is proven, the Green Knight is fantasy, so it really DOES NOT MATTER. Have you ever seen a Shakespeare play set in modern times? Yeah, that's not what Shakespeare intended, but it is what they do with plays ALL THE TIME. It's a simple fact of the creative process. Change classic shit up if you want. Like Romeo and Juliet with cars and guns, or Richard III set in Nazi Germany, both of which have been done very successfully.

Last edited:

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
This thread is proof that either Odorin does not understand creativity at all, or he is straight up a racist and this thread should be in Politics.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

THAT is a fact.

It's also what fantasy fiction is all about. For fuck's sake, what is Gawain and the Green Knight? Reality based non-fiction?

Historical fiction demands sticking to facts about the period.

This movie needs to flop.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

THAT is a fact.

Here's a clip from Canadian Television which features a painting with a dark-skinned Knight during the Middle Ages r Renaissance. The painting is located in Portugal:

Whether the painting is authentic or not remains to be seen. However if it is, it does indicate that Knights with dark skin color existed at one time in European History:

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

THAT is a fact.

Here's a clip from Canadian Television which features a painting with a dark-skinned Knight during the Middle Ages r Renaissance. The painting is located in Portugal:

Whether the painting is authentic or not remains to be seen. However if it is, it does indicate that Knights with dark skin color existed at one time in European History:

Interesting video. I didn't hear anything in it about the painting's authenticity being in question. There are many black people in the painting, not just the knight. Portugal is very close to Africa. I imagine there have been black people on the European continent since the first boat made it across that bit of the Atlantic. And the Silk Road went between Rome and India starting in the 1st century. I am sure many Indians travelled to Europe starting 2000 years ago. It wouldn't have been far fetched at all for some of them to make it from Italy to England at any time thereafter, imo.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

THAT is a fact.

Interesting video. I didn't hear anything in it about the painting's authenticity being in question. There are many black people in the painting, not just the knight. Portugal is very close to Africa. I imagine there have been black people on the European continent since the first boat made it across that bit of the Atlantic. And the Silk Road went between Rome and India starting in the 1st century. I am sure many Indians travelled to Europe starting 2000 years ago. It wouldn't have been far fetched at all for some of them to make it from Italy to England at any time thereafter, imo.

Besides it s proximity, I just figger it wouldn't have been far fetched to see scores of Black Knights because the would have been the tank brigade of their time/era. Y'know, a Medieval Army would need the equivalent of a battering ram to subdue another army? So the Knights would have served that function.

And of course, they needed strong men who can lug around heavy suits of armor wiehing several pounds.

or lifting heavy swords, shields etc. Even lifting themselves up with all the armor on a horse.

They woulda needed a guy built like an OX.

Along with the stamina of one.

So if they could find suitable candidates among Africans, then why not?

Also, the population of these European countries wasn't that big - maybe 1/10th or less of today's?

Medieval England France or Spain maybe 5-10 million at most.

so they would have had ot look elsewhere to populate these armies.

SHAMPAIN

Vape Nation
Site Supporter ☠️

The first two could easily be Italians, third one looks doctored or a piss take and the last one certainly doesn't look African... It's just like Cheddar man, they couldn't possibly tell what skin colour he was but could tell he had blue eyes which almost guarantees he was white ffs... Liberal black washing at play as per... Negroes steal everything including culture then have the cheek to say white people have no culture... lmao CRINGE!!!

SHAMPAIN

Vape Nation
Site Supporter ☠️

THAT is a fact.

So you'd have no issue with a white black panther? :LOL3:

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

THAT is a fact.

So you'd have no issue with a white black panther? :LOL3:

Imagine the liberal howler monkeys melting about a white shakazulu!!!!

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

The first two could easily be Italians, third one looks doctored or a piss take and the last one certainly doesn't look African... It's just like Cheddar man, they couldn't possibly tell what skin colour he was but could tell he had blue eyes which almost guarantees he was white ffs... Liberal black washing at play as per... Negroes steal everything including culture then have the cheek to say white people have no culture... lmao CRINGE!!!

You are such a whinging looser babbie, looking for any excuse to discount Africans, even when you contradict yourself.

Go back to making shorty shorts. It's what you do best.