Why nice people become jerks online

knife wielder

Factory Bastard
"What is weird is that day to day, my neighborhood is a pretty friendly place. People do not go around screaming hateful things at their neighbors. So why would all these decent people be so unneighborly online?"

"The thing that always surprises me when I read comments online is just how mean people are to one another with very little provocation. You don't see vicious arguments breaking out in real life, even among people who disagree. Does this suggest that online communication functions differently than a face-to-face conversation?"

"It's not that it functions differently, it's just that the context is a little different. What we're doing when we're having an online conversation is everything that we're doing or having a conversation face-to-face minus some of the critically important things of being around other people."

Source:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Swamp-Duck

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I’m the same in RL as I am here, I’m like an old friendly dog, but you keep snapping at my heals, I’m going to bite your fucking head off.

Mr. Whipple

brilliantly insane
Site Supporter
200w.gif

SHAMPAIN

Vape Nation
Site Supporter ☠️
"What is weird is that day to day, my neighborhood is a pretty friendly place. People do not go around screaming hateful things at their neighbors. So why would all these decent people be so unneighborly online?"

"The thing that always surprises me when I read comments online is just how mean people are to one another with very little provocation. You don't see vicious arguments breaking out in real life, even among people who disagree. Does this suggest that online communication functions differently than a face-to-face conversation?"

"It's not that it functions differently, it's just that the context is a little different. What we're doing when we're having an online conversation is everything that we're doing or having a conversation face-to-face minus some of the critically important things of being around other people."

Source:
You give innocent workers shit irl when you’ve no idea how their day has been or if they have stressful things going on in life, you clearly annoy people online too so what’s your excuse for doing both? Hey at least you’ve not been ass boxed yet... lel

OP
OP
knife wielder

knife wielder

Factory Bastard
"Who are these people who pull off the gloves and hit so hard online? Would we recognize them if we met them in some offline context — identify them as an internet troll?"

"Well, that's funny because in some cases it's very clear from the online trolling and the kind of statements that these are the people who would do it no matter where they are. And that's a minority of people — very, very few people actually do that."

"You said pulling the gloves off: That's the problem with online activity. There are no gloves. There are no hands. In real life if you pulled the gloves off to punch someone, that has repercussions. Big ones, immediate ones to you. But online there are no gloves. There's just a virtual reality out there that you can make up.""

OP
OP
knife wielder

knife wielder

Factory Bastard
I expose the trolls every time I post an article about the rudeness of people. They comment negatively and react negatively.

OP
OP
knife wielder

knife wielder

Factory Bastard
Why people are meaner online:
My suspicion is it’s the anonymity of the Internet that causes people to say things online that would make their mothers blush. To run their mouths in ways they’d never do in someone’s home.

Regardless of the reason, I’ve heard so many jabs, slanders, and critiques that you’d think I’d be use to it by now. As you know, I’ve had my fair share of
. But I’m not used to it.

Even with such experience, the uncouthness of what I read online sometimes surprises me. I wonder: Did you really think about that before posting it?

Source:

OP
OP
knife wielder

knife wielder

Factory Bastard
I created the "Shit That Annoys You" thread. I talked about what annoys me and I got relentless attacked for it.