3 Interesting Ladies

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I just skimmed to be further reviewed at my leisure.

They seem to have adventurous spirits. I had two thoughts. They might be happy to see how far women have advanced in the West.

They might also be disappointed how much some things remain the same. I'm thinking of the Kardashians of the world...

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Dr Fiona Wood from Perth WA ( born in Ireland) is like 10,000 times more interesting than the 3 women in the OP.

JUST saying...

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
WESTERN AUSTRALIAN women have had the vote since 1900.... decades before the USA or England got it.

That is to the first Female Medal of Honor winner Doctor Walker.

Last edited:

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The third woman Besant would have been interesting on women's rights in India. The Brits stopped Indian widows being burnt alive on their husbands funeral pyres. The feathered down article doesn't even mention that.

That was what the Indians did to widows. Burned them alive. Damn those nasty colonials saving poor Indian women being burned alive eh?

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
@Lily

Yeah Lily, Surgeon Dr Wood with 5 children invented spray on skin thus saving the lives of burns patients all over the world.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I don't think the individuals you profiled don't deserve recognition. But it's always a competition from you. Always putting other countries down and saying Australia is better.

It comes across as pretty defensive. As an American, I see Australians as long term allies and our friends. Is everything perfect there? Nope, but it's not here either.

I don't see Australians as our competitors.

OP
OP
The New Holliday

The New Holliday

Now With 25% More Infinity
Site Supporter
...It certainly is a competitive games between the Brits, Americans and Australians today. Who is winning(?), no one can say for the moment, but the rowdies in the Aussie section are making plenty of noise rootin their entries on (even though every one is dead).

PS: many women of the western states had voting rights before 1900. Just saying. 2 points for our team. YAY!

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
...It certainly is a competitive games between the Brits, Americans and Australians today. Who is winning(?), no one can say for the moment, but the rowdies in the Aussie section are making plenty of noise rootin their entries on (even though every one is dead).

PS: many women of the western states had voting rights before 1900. Just saying. 2 points for our team. YAY!

AMERICANS never give credit where it is due, ever!!!

And no to your comment about women voting rights. Only New Zealand and South Australia beat Western Australia by a year.

OP
OP
The New Holliday

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
AMERICANS never give credit where it is due, ever!!!

And no to your comment about women voting rights. Only New Zealand and South Australia beat Western Australia by a year.
Maybe I was being too vague when I said western states:

The first state to grant women the right to vote had been Wyoming, in 1869, followed by Utah in 1870, Colorado in 1893, Idaho in 1896.

Thems there is western states.

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Maybe I was being too vague when I said western states:

The first state to grant women the right to vote had been Wyoming, in 1869, followed by Utah in 1870, Colorado in 1893, Idaho in 1896.

Thems there is western states.

and how far did they travel to vote? Did just get up from their wood stoves and hitch their wagon to their mules and off they went.

OP
OP
The New Holliday

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
and how far did they travel to vote? Did just get up from their wood stoves and hitch their wagon to their mules and off they went.
These were frontier women. They weren't the sort of proper eastern big city Victorian ladies sitting around the parlor eating bon-bons and making sure the curtains matched the furniture fabric. They build houses, chopped wood, shot injins, they were homesteaders and business owners helping build and civilize the west. They completely pulled their weight in the endeavor. They weren't sittin in front of a computer complainin to folks on the innernets all day. En thet-a-ther, little lady, is why they were awarded the vote earlier then mose.

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I would say the were enlisted to vote because men were scarce fighting the civil war or didn't come back from the civil war...

Last edited:

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
I’ve read works by both David-Neel and Besant. Interesting women indeed.

In the way back when, I dabbled in Theosophy. It was the closest “doctrine” to my youthful pantheistic leanings.

When she and her protégé, the very wise Jiddu Krishnamurti, parted ways over doctrinal issues, I stuck with Krishnamurti (“Think On These Things”).

I still enjoy reading Besant’s early works for their focus on atheism and materialism.

She was a thinking man’s woman, she was.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Did she birth you because she was a fat lesbian or because she was a doctor?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Careful, Doc. Cas will put a hex on you.

But I agree; she's lost much of her mojo since Kurt left her.

OP
OP
The New Holliday

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
I’ve read works by both David-Neel and Besant. Interesting women indeed.

In the way back when, I dabbled in Theosophy. It was the closest “doctrine” to my youthful pantheistic leanings.

When she and her protégé, the very wise Jiddu Krishnamurti, parted ways over doctrinal issues, I stuck with Krishnamurti (“Think On These Things”).

I still enjoy reading Besant’s early works for their focus on atheism and materialism.

She was a thinking man’s woman, she was.
.. I still find myself closer to Theosophy than anything else and more to the original works of HPB than those that went their own way later - though I do like Krishmnamurti who was a Leadbeater "find" so to speak. Besant other than her work in clairvoyant projects that resulted in studies like Occult Chemistry, leaned toward Christianity as did Leadbeater with whom she had collaborated on the afore mentioned. I liked both her and CWL's approach to the subject, in clearing away the dogma.
.. In any case, Besant, in spite of being a fat Lesbo, did marry and have children but in that age she being an advocate of abortion and birth control she actually had her children taken from her. She forged on nonetheless.
Hard to believe that a century and more later some are so backward that her work would spark outrage today.
Let's see if it doesn't.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
I think my own path to atheism became clearer to me once I realized that any kind of spiritual or religious dogma had lost its appeal (to me, anyway--and not that it had had that much appeal to begin with).

Despite this, I continued to be a "faithful" subscriber to The Quest magazine (even though rather more Jungian publications such as Parabola appealed to me more).

I consider myself as having been on a lifelong quest of my own to understand my own place in the universe and the role(s) I'm meant to play in it. I abandoned any religious outlook when I fell in love with astronomer Carl Sagan's view of human beings as "starstuff in search of itself."

I still have a tremendous amount of respect for, and I derive no small enjoyment from, the great scriptures of humanity, even though I tend to prefer their esoteric commonalities to their dogmatic idiosyncracies.

Blavatsky was always rather too focused on the occult for my tastes. Too Aleister Crowley-ish. I'm not a superstitious sort. Nor am I a fan of so-called "magick" (except maybe when it remains confined to literature or video games).

These interests are the reason why I chose to study religion and philosophy at uni.

OP
OP
The New Holliday

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
Blavatsky was always rather too focused on the occult for my tastes. Too Aleister Crowley-ish.
HPB would not have thought well of Crowley. She was an advocate of universal brotherhood rather than selfishness. She was, using defs I have previously given, a Liberal in the spiritual sense, never a practitioner of the conservatism of a Crowley. *

* To the mods - those terms, for me, are not the political but the spiritual terms as I use them.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Agreed.

What I would've given, though, to attend the first Parliament of the World's Religions in Chicago in 1893. That would've been a hoot.

Pretty sure Crowley would be absent.

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Did she birth you because she was a fat lesbian or because she was a doctor?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Oh it wouldn't surprise me. I am sure my very good looking 19.5 year old mother's hidden bits would have appealled to her as she was being split in half birthing me.

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I think my own path to atheism became clearer to me once I realized that any kind of spiritual or religious dogma had lost its appeal (to me, anyway--and not that it had had that much appeal to begin with).

Despite this, I continued to be a "faithful" subscriber to The Quest magazine (even though rather more Jungian publications such as Parabola appealed to me more).

I consider myself as having been on a lifelong quest of my own to understand my own place in the universe and the role(s) I'm meant to play in it. I abandoned any religious outlook when I fell in love with astronomer Carl Sagan's view of human beings as "starstuff in search of itself."

I still have a tremendous amount of respect for, and I derive no small enjoyment from, the great scriptures of humanity, even though I tend to prefer their esoteric commonalities to their dogmatic idiosyncracies.

Blavatsky was always rather too focused on the occult for my tastes. Too Aleister Crowley-ish. I'm not a superstitious sort. Nor am I a fan of so-called "magick" (except maybe when it remains confined to literature or video games).

These interests are the reason why I chose to study religion and philosophy at uni.

Explore the power of suggestion...

I suggest it.

;)

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
This Omnipootence is some of the worst trolling I've seen in a long long time. There ought to be a law.

I am not trolling. I have looked at what you both have written and you both have thrown me back to the 15/16 year old kid searching for something except both of you haven't found it yet.

I found the answers.

You two may or may not ever find answers. Taoism is the most peaceful religion I have ever read... ON PAPER, and no human can live up to their ideals or God's laws.

In my opinion, instead of reading th rubbish other people wrote, write your own essence. Write what YOU think.

I will straighten your step as you proceed and where it might be appropriate..

I am VERY VERY unimpressed with political thinkers. The humans I admire the most ( next to artists) are brain surgeons. And innovators of medical advancements... + engineers.

OF the 3 people who were written about in the first post, the one who supported abortion is the person to be admired. Very terrible things happen to some people while pregnant. It is NOT a safe condition. It should be but it is not and if there are doctors who can save lives helping pregnancies gone wrong, they should be given accolades not condemnation.