A question about bird behavior.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
So in my backyard, on top of one of the rear porch lights a pair of doves have made a nest. We'd seen that the female had laid two eggs in the nest though we made very certain not to touch or disturb the nest in any way. Today, as I was washing down the back patio I noticed the female dove had pushed one of the eggs out of the nest. I am not sure why. Does anyone have any ideas?

Picture of dove sitting on nest after it had pushed one egg out. (Picture needs to be rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise.)

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

I did find this article using Google.

Swamp-Duck

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
So in my backyard, on top of one of the rear porch lights a pair of doves have made a nest. We'd seen that the female had laid two eggs in the nest though we made very certain not to touch or disturb the nest in any way. Today, as I was washing down the back patio I noticed the female dove had pushed one of the eggs out of the nest. I am not sure why. Does anyone have any ideas?

Picture of dove sitting on nest after it had pushed one egg out. (Picture needs to be rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise.)

The best person to ask about that here is Mr Whipple, I know he keeps pet birds so maybe he’ll know..

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

It might be empty. A dud....no chick.

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Don't worry about it, it's just an egg... they produce dozens and dozens over a lifetime.

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Don't worry about it, it's just an egg... they produce dozens and dozens over a lifetime.
hows the arm?

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

hows the arm?

Tomorrow 8 weeks into it... pretty sore still but much better overall...