Question for computer people

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
There is a screw that keeps coming loose on my laptop. It makes the whole frame of my computer go catiwampus when I open and close it. My husband put a new screw in there and it worked fine for awhile, but now it's going bad again. Is there some way to glue the screw in place or something?. It's the screw on the bottom, right under the left hand corner where the keyboard meets the screen.

Admin.

All that glitters, is not gold.
Site Supporter ☠️
There is a screw that keeps coming loose on my laptop. It makes the whole frame of my computer go catiwampus when I open and close it. My husband put a new screw in there and it worked fine for awhile, but now it's going bad again. Is there some way to glue the screw in place or something?. It's the screw on the bottom, right under the left hand corner where the keyboard meets the screen.
Did you try googling the make and model with the problem? I’m often amazed by the internet

cw_

> you
Site Supporter ☠️
Google said: A laptop could twist during carrying and that sometimes loosens them up. Dab a little clear nail polish on them once they are tightened.

I found this to be a very shiny answer. ;)

Incognito2u

Factory Bastard
You can use removeable loctite just make sure you use removeable and not permanent if you think you will ever have a need to remove it.

The New Holliday

Now With 25% More Infinity
Site Supporter
CrazyGlue works on most everything.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Do you know what brand/make your laptop is? Or is it a generic clone?

Sometimes theres a dealer that may have the part(s) you are looking for. Could be that it isnt the screw but it goes into that is the problem. Maybe the tread has worn out.

So it may not be a screw but it could be an assembly or series of components you may need to buy.

Check your local computer shop(s) and if you cant find it there or then go on eBay if you know the make and model of your computer

Computers especially proprietary brand name pcs can be very specific including size and dimensions if screws that fit your laptop so not any generic part e we ill fit. One example is Apple

Ive sometimes done this and there might be as few as 1 person who has that part and he lives halfway across the world. Depends how valuable the laptop is I suppose.

You might consider backing up all your files onto an external hard drive and eventually buying a new laptop in which case you gradually abandon your existing laptop in favor of a newer model.

Thats what i do at home. Leave a few xtra pcs lying around so if one goes bad the other can take its place. Im in the market for a new computer next year so i’ll set it up to mirror the existing one and take over from the okd one

Gotta think a step ahead of the game in case your existing pc ir laptop goes kaput

Last edited:
OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
It's a Lenovo, but Portugal doesn't have a thing where you send your stuff to the dealer. You deal with the store where you bought it, and they may take it for weeks. I had this trouble with my last laptop, so I'm not anxious to buy a new one. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it otherwise.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Did you try googling the make and model with the problem? I’m often amazed by the internet
Yes. I've googled and watched youtube videos. I always do that before coming to a troll board for ansewrs, trust me. Apparently a LOT of different kinds of laptops have this problem, and a number of youtubers glued theirs. But the process they showed was ridiculous, and not exactly what was wrong with my laptop anyway.

Incognito2u

Factory Bastard
What is loctite? Is that a brand name?
Yes loctite is a brand name. It's a liquid you apply to the threads of the screw and once you tighten it dries and holds the screw in place. The problem may be that whatever the screw goes into is probably just sheet metal and may not provide enough surface for the loctite to hold onto.
Here's a link
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Yes loctite is a brand name. It's a liquid you apply to the threads of the screw and once you tighten it dries and holds the screw in place. The problem may be that whatever the screw goes into is probably just sheet metal and may not provide enough surface for the loctite to hold onto.
Here's a link
Thanks! But I'm sure they don't have it here. They import very few brands from the US. I'd have to figure out what they would call it in portuguese and find some other brand.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Yes. I've googled and watched youtube videos. I always do that before coming to a troll board for ansewrs, trust me. Apparently a LOT of different kinds of laptops have this problem, and a number of youtubers glued theirs. But the process they showed was ridiculous, and not exactly what was wrong with my laptop anyway.
You might have a stripped tread on the female part of the screw assembly.

I've seen videos on YouTube that deal with that subject & how to address them.

Example

You can also check out eBay and see if you can buy a screw or locate one that is the precise fit for your laptop as well @LotusBud.

I just typed in the eBay Search terms - "lenovo screws parts laptops"

And sometimes, people just sell the computer for parts only - meaning its no longer in working condition so they just try to see if they can get money for them, much a like a car no longer working. so that is also another option

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Example on eBay of someone selling his lenovo laptop for parts only:

Usu you can make an offer for much less, but it low.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
How many retards does it take to replace a screw?
Well @The Prowler looking for a proprietary computer part isn’t that much different from looking for a specific car part. If ya buy a generic part for your specific make of car it probably wont fit. Even a screw. Thats why they have websites like these:

I ordered from there before

Anyway Here’s an example of parts only for a Lenovo laptop where I live:

But @LotusBud may have to get the right model or to get the parts from it if its user specific

Otherwise any ordinary screw may just keep falling out of the socket

Last edited:

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Well @The Prowler looking for a proprietary computer part isn’t that much different from looking for a specific car part. If ya buy a generic part for your specific make of car it probably wont fit. Even a screw. Thats why they have websites like these:

I ordered from there before

Anyway Here’s an example of parts only for a Lenovo laptop where I live:

But @LotusBud may have to get the right model or to get the parts from it if its user specific

Otherwise any ordinary screw may just keep falling out of the socket

He's an ass. I don't know why you bother with him.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
You can use removeable loctite just make sure you use removeable and not permanent if you think you will ever have a need to remove it.

There's mention of 'loctite' on a Lenovo website as it pertains to laptop screws:

2023-08-13 11:45:23

back screws coming loose.​

Has anyone else had issues with the screws holding the back panel on coming loose? Within a few weeks of getting my Yoga 7I the back screws were loose and I almost lost some. Now a year later after having to tighten the screws many times, one of the screws has come out and is gone. When I contacted support they told me it would be $17 PER SCREW!!!

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
It is hard to believe that these people can function very well in society.

Oh....wait.....
except that Lenovo sells those kind of screws for $17 each.

Like any car or computer manufacturer they appear to be proprietary (which means no on else makes them and they like that way because it means the customer has to go to them).

Have you ever fixed computers or cars @The Prowler?

If you did, you might realize this is a common problem.

Parts are not always interchangeable and generic parts won't necessarily do.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
It is hard to believe that these people can function very well in society.

Oh....wait.....

Whoosh!!!!!

Like any car or computer manufacturer they appear to be proprietary (which means no on else makes them and they like that way because it means the customer has to go to them).

Senility is funny.

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️

He bought a Corvette, of course he has experience fixing cars.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
He bought a Corvette, of course he has experience fixing cars.

On reliability:
"Chevrolet Corvette reliability is 76.45 and that makes it very reliable."
"the average overall rating is 57"

On major maintenance requirements:
"The closer the frequency score is to 0, the longer amount of time it can go without major maintenance services."
"Corvette has a frequency score of 0.81"
"industrial average of 1.3, so on that implies the Chevrolet Corvette is substantially better than average."

On driving enjoyment:
"Off the charts!!!!"

Jealousy will get you no where.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

On reliability:

"The closer the frequency score is to 0, the longer amount of time it can go without major maintenance services."
"industrial average of 1.3, so on that implies the Chevrolet Corvette is substantially better than average."

On driving enjoyment:
"Off the charts!!!!"

….so what does that have to do with fixing a laptop?

Lol

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️

On reliability:

On driving enjoyment:
"Off the charts!!!!"

I think they are a nice looking car and they have the "performance" up there very competitively too, but the model still has more issues than a high dollar car should have, the Corvette is not alone in this, there are other high dollars marques or models that also have disappointing reliability.