Gun Control in America

Big Sexy

narcoleptic mattress salesman
Site Supporter
I always carry a 9mm.

Have a 12 gauge in the house with 00buck waiting for anyone that wants to come through the door. Police do not stop crime they just show up after the fact to take a report.

Wazzzup

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
When seconds count the cops are minutes away. they can catch the bad guys only after they've done what they want to do to you, UNLESS you defend yourself.

Sharona

white wine divorcee
U don't need a weapon to protect yourself!

U macho shithead gun control advocates, I have no hope whatever that any facts whatever will make the slightest dent in their thinking - or lack of thinking.

Do Not Get Me Started!

Wazzzup

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
New #4

Not even if someone breaks into your home. Really. How'
!

So if someone breaks into your home and has a gun what should you do? Cry and beg for mercy or shoot them? I like the shoot them option better.

TheHaze

If my dog doesn't like you, I probably won'teither
Site Supporter
How many of you bad boys think you can shoot some one? No problem here and have been tested!

Gutterballs

Banned
Banned
This could get even more amusing and fun for all if this was moved into the Meltdown section, BF. Just sayin.

TheHaze

Site Supporter
So if someone breaks into your home and has a gun what should you do? Cry and beg for mercy or shoot them? I like the shoot them option better.

You can always point your remote at them- - - - - - -
I have a sign on the side gate that read's and a picture of a guy with a pistol>>>Forget About The Dog<<<

Dageaux

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I tried to explain the American concept of Gun Control to a Kiwi who had never been to America. I have my own views on it, but I tried to stay objective.

About half way through the explanation, she asks, "What the fuck is the matter with you Americans? We have guns here (in NZ). We just don't use them."

That best sums up my feeling on gun control.

Wazzzup

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
There are a lot of places where people have easy access to guns, but there are very few shootings. Iceland, Switzerland etc.

And there are places where it is hard to get guns like Mexico and Brazil that have large numbers of gun murders.

Its primarily demographically driven in the US. Our murder rate is higher than other similar western countries., but that is largely due to our Hispanic and black populations. for instance blacks are only 13% of the US population, but are responsible for over half of the murders in the US.

Dageaux

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Its primarily demographically driven in the US. Our murder rate is higher than other similar western countries., but that is largely due to our Hispanic and black populations. for instance blacks are only 13% of the US population, but are responsible for over half of the murders in the US.

The above statement could easily be construed as racist; a word I find most offensive, not the concept per se, but the word itself because of the context it is often used.

Why is it perfectly acceptable to say "Pit bulls are more aggressive than Labradors", but not ok to say that "Mongoloids (Asians) are smarter and/or more studious, than Caucasoids (Westerners)"

Wazzzup

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

The above statement could easily be construed as racist; a word I find most offensive, not the concept per se, but the word itself because of the context it is often used.

Why is it perfectly acceptable to say "Pit bulls are more aggressive than Labradors", but not ok to say that "Mongoloids (Asians) are smarter and/or more studious, than Caucasoids (Westerners)"

I recall a story about copernicus throwing stuff off the leaning tower of pisa (bear with me there is a point to this) and he concluded that objects fall at the same rate no matter what size they were. the church considered this blasphemy. But he was right, and he proved it..

Think of it like this- political correctness is the new religion, and the idea that races behave differently is the new blasphemy.

If telling the truth becomes "racist" what do we need to do? We need to alter what we deem as "racist," not alter the truth.

skinofevil

Undeniably Plausible
Site Supporter
It may be a cliche, but it became a cliche by being true in many places and for a long time: Gun control means hitting what you aim at.

Sharona

white wine divorcee
Out of control.
Take the guns and rowdy gunowners to an internment type facility to desensitize them. Its an infatuation is all and its out of control!

TheHaze

Site Supporter
[
Out of control.
Take the guns and rowdy gunowners to an internment type facility QUOTE]

Yeah right on and that's what the government did with me,gave me a M-14 and show me how to use it(and a few other things like a M-60)and then send me to a combat zone and then gave me medal's and like that song in the spy who loved me>>>Why did you have to be so good<<<
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Rum

belly scratcher
I am 100% pro the first amendment of the United States. I have no issue with keeping a firearm to protect yourself. However, there is a gun problem in America and I honestly have no solution for the issue. I am frustrated with each time the gun debate comes up on social media you have people talking about following the Australian model of gun control because with as many firearms in America as there are citizens that isn't remotely feasible.

The complication resides in America's culture, not so much the firearms in and of themselves because violence is inherent to American identity, it has been ingrained into every aspect of our society.

skinofevil

Undeniably Plausible
Site Supporter
Violence is inherent in the human identity. That's the reason gun controlled Chicago is out of control when it comes to crimes involving guns that are theoretically not supposed to be there.

We humans are an apex predator species, which means that a lot of what we prey on is... other humans. Particularly the ones who can't fight back. That's why most mass shootings take place in "gun free" schools rather than at police stations.

Rum

belly scratcher
Everybody thinks they know what’s wrong, but it seems nobody wants to acknowledge the plainly obvious reasons behind all this violence.

Rum

belly scratcher
It’s in our DNA as a nation. Born out of the exploitation and genocide of Natives and built off the backs of slaves, the United States has used violence to solve its “problems” since its inception. The country’s independence, itself, was obtained through years of violence aka the American revolution. This violence is now venerated and enshrined in popular American mythology and perpetuated ad nauseam in public school history books.

skinofevil

Undeniably Plausible
Site Supporter
It’s in our DNA as a nation. Born out of the exploitation and genocide of Natives and built off the backs of slaves, the United States has used violence to solve its “problems” since its inception.

So has every other country on the planet. This is not an exclusively American trait, which is why it doesn't address gun violence.

Rum

belly scratcher
One of the differences between other countries and America is that for America the violence never stopped, and it has been routinely glorified.

When Native Americans had something we wanted, we murdered them and took it, over and over again. America’s deft use of violence in World War II became our modern claim to moral superiority. The invasion of Iraq decades later was deemed a gift to Iraqi citizens despite the countless deaths and destruction of their homeland that came with it.

We memorialize those who commit violence for the government and hold them in the highest esteem and throwing tantrums when others express dissenting opinions or fail to bow to the people who serve these institutions.

When children misbehave, we beat them. When people don’t follow the ever-expanding number of (many times unjust) laws in the U.S., we jail them. When a country does something we don’t like, we bomb them and overthrow their government. When a leader does something the U.S. government doesn’t like, we assassinate them. Even what should be civil political discourse has been radicalized into violent rhetoric: the war on women, the war on Christmas, the war on healthcare, the war on cops.

War permeates our culture.

Therefore, it’s only natural that when a person is sad, down on themselves, off their meds, or mad about something, picking up a gun to solve their problems with violence seems to be logical. Our government does it, why not them? We beat kids for being “bad,” why would they not use violence against adults? Our government bombs schools in countries we don’t like, so what is so different about an individual getting a gun and shooting up a school in the United States?

Our police shoot and kill over 1,000 Americans every year, often because they are afraid of them or because they “did not comply.” Is it any surprise that many of the most atrocious mass shootings in this country were committed by individuals with a fetish for militarism or policing institutions?

So this very much does address gun violence in America.

skinofevil

Undeniably Plausible
Site Supporter
One of the differences between other countries and America is that for America the violence never stopped, and it has been routinely glorified.

And that differentiates us from no other existing nation. See: Falklands War, British Imperial subjugation of India, et cetera.

When Native Americans had something we wanted, we murdered them and took it, over and over again.

That, again, doesn't differentiate America much from other countries in the 1800s; see: Ottoman Empire.

America’s deft use of violence in World War II became our modern claim to moral superiority.

As it did for the U.K. and Russia.

Expansionism via violence is not unique to the United States -- nor is slavery, which is practiced by certain hardcore theocratic governments still today.

And throughout all that time, mass shootings in the U.S. were noteworthy for their rarity, and were almost always carried out by government, not individuals. Instances like the massacre at Wounded Knee, the violence at Kent State.

Another noteworthy thing about those incidents -- they were carried out against disarmed people. Contrast those instances against the Battle of Athens, where former military veterans, armed, forced a corrupt police force to stand down; or against the standoff at the Bundy Ranch more recently, where armed citizens deterred Bureau of Land Management agents from steamrolling over a rancher and his family.

The availability of guns hasn't changed. The greed of our government hasn't changed. What has changed is the value we place on human life, and of how we regard morality as a whole. I'd bet you just cringed when you merely read the word, 'morality' there, didn't you? Popular culture has been pressing us to regard moral behavior as hokey and embarrassingly old fashioned, and to a lesser degree, that human life is expendable.

Well, this is the result.

Gyroscope

OmniPoster
Site Supporter
Some paranoid conspiracy type in Maryland shot up a newspaper office with a shotgun today, killed five and seriously injured several more. He had smoke grenades and flashbangs in his bag. They took him alive. Supposedly he cut his fingertips off before the shooting so the cops wouldn't be able to fingerprint him. Crazy.

We should start a mass shooting megathread with how often it happens honestly.

Dageaux

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I find that the four horsemen work better than guns. torture is beautiful.
I site the fact that the four horseman have not already arrived as proof positive that there is no diety. Any self respecting God would have put us out of misery decades ago.

skinofevil

Undeniably Plausible
Site Supporter
I find that the four horsemen work better than guns. torture is beautiful.
I site the fact that the four horseman have not already arrived as proof positive that there is no diety. Any self respecting God would have put us out of misery decades ago.

That's the sandbox god, a deity which is fundamentally self-contradictory. The deist god, on the other hand, may simply be allowing us to learn our lesson. Unlike the sandbox god, the deist god is not "love and forgiveness" and all that cheese-ass horseshit. It gave us all the tools we need to be good to each other, and it's on us that we haven't mastered those toold of logic and compassion.