Murdock's home renovations...DIY awesomeness

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
@Lily

I’ve hosted a few gatherings and all my childhood GFs are lthe vibe of my den remodel. They all agree it’s very peaceful. No one has had the eye to spot the 40s craftsman vibe…. except when I start to explain the salvaged paneling.

Everyone has asked about the mid century modern record player/stereo that we have transitioned into a tv stand. We have been holding off on mounting it until we can decide on what size tv.

The den is huge, so I’m thinking 70”+ or whatever is larger than the mid century piece. He thinks it’s too big, so we are going to wait. But I love the drapes that remind us both of our grandmothers formal living rooms in the 70s/80s.

We finally picked out our dinning room table, which is so large we are swapping the formal living room for the dinning room and then creating a cozy little tv watching room in the dinning room, which is what I prefer anyways. I was raised by hippies and they would turn the tv off for 6 months at a time. But my grands used the smallest room for their tv den since they didn’t like the draft of the house. They had carpet in there until last month when it was ripped up and the insulation was installed in all interior walls. It’s all been required as well.

The kitchen is on hold. The farm sink is being installed.

I no longer watch home improvement shows. This has been dragging out for so long that it’s painful to watch a project of this magnitude come to fruition in just 30 minutes. But we remind ourselves regularly that it’s the journey of this project that we decided to for the sake of our future and the strength of our foundation. We surprisingly work well together despite his being a sarcastic grump sometimes and my being a neurotic air head.

I think huge tv's are a turn off. You should consider buying one of those models where it looks like a painting when it's not in use. I think that would help disguise it.

Renovations always take a long time, especially in these unprecedented times with supply chain issues. You're fine, it's gonna get done. The good thing is you're right by the shore. Anytime you need to chill, you can walk a few blocks and bury your toes in the sand.

Gratitude, yanno? :)

I’m grateful… but I get to vent sometimes too :GiggleBitch:

It’s the only room we have a tv in. Don’t worry, I’m not going to be one of those people who has a tv too large for the room.

You're right, you just want to be done. I get that. How many rooms left to go?

the den is the only room 100% complete

No wonder you're sick of it already. Is it time or materials that's in short supply?

Time… I have enough supplies to get us through the next 4 rooms.

I can’t put my foot down when it comes to his spending time with the kids… or myself for that matter. The house is always first and last on the list of things to do.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
@Lily ~ I’m cleaning the house today to get ready for my first dinner party tonight since I moved back.

If get around to cleaning my grandmothers 1950s Japanese imported hand-painted China cabinet, I’ll send you some pics. It’s a stunning piece.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
@Lily ~ I’m cleaning the house today to get ready for my first dinner party tonight since I moved back.

If get around to cleaning my grandmothers 1950s Japanese imported hand-painted China cabinet, I’ll send you some pics. It’s a stunning piece.

Fun! Enjoy your dinner party, would love to see the Japanese cabinet. I've seen some stunning pieces in homes of Asian friends over the years.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
@Lily ~

I love working with wood. I’m really good with furniture and I’ve mentioned I did the paneling that was original to this house before….

I did the front bedroom floors on my own. He rented me the huge sander and then did the last 2 passes for me. The floors hadn’t been touched since the house was built in 1942.

I mixed my own stain colors. I hit the freshly sanded floors with this deep childcare that I wiped off. It picked up the grain of the floor nicely before I put 2 layers of natural and then the polyurethane.

I will probably redo that room when the rest of the house is finished and my technique is perfected. I’m happy with them, I just notice every little detail. He swears we won’t notice when the rug arrives.

I have the hall, the other 2 bedrooms and then the formal living and dinning rooms to do next… but I’m taking a break and heading to the PNW before the rainy season is over.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
@Lily ~

I love working with wood. I’m really good with furniture and I’ve mentioned I did the paneling that was original to this house before….

I did the front bedroom floors on my own. He rented me the huge sander and then did the last 2 passes for me. The floors hadn’t been touched since the house was built in 1942.

I mixed my own stain colors. I hit the freshly sanded floors with this deep childcare that I wiped off. It picked up the grain of the floor nicely before I put 2 layers of natural and then the polyurethane.

I will probably redo that room when the rest of the house is finished and my technique is perfected. I’m happy with them, I just notice every little detail. He swears we won’t notice when the rug arrives.

I have the hall, the other 2 bedrooms and then the formal living and dinning rooms to do next… but I’m taking a break and heading to the PNW before the rainy season is over.

It sounds like it's coming along. The original floors must look great now that you've restained them. Congrats. Sounds like you've earned a break. Have fun when you're back up north!

Biggie Smiles

I make libturds berry angry. I do!!!
Site Supporter
Correct me if I'm wrong but people with lots and lots of bucks to burn don't go doing "most of the renovation" work themselves

they hire professionals to do shit like that.

just saying

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
Does anyone else find it ironic that homeless/nomads who have the ability to live anywhere…

Won’t live anywhere where these fucks live? Bwa hahahaha
What the hell are you on about? A nomad usually has their motor home or caravan to live in? You make very little sense a lot of the time nutter!

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
@Lily

I read an article today about babysitting grandchildren and it preventing dementia.

And then I’m remembering a recent discussion I had with my daughter and her wanting 4 children.

I already babysit the dog and she is quite particular as to how things are done. I’m concerned.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
@Lily

I read an article today about babysitting grandchildren and it preventing dementia.

And then I’m remembering a recent discussion I had with my daughter and her wanting 4 children.

I already babysit the dog and she is quite particular as to how things are done. I’m concerned.

Hopefully there's another grandma in the picture when she has them.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
Hopefully there's another grandma in the picture when she has them.

His mother is clear on the other side of town. But he is partner track and wants her to stay at home to raise them. I reminded her that she can write from home. Her job paid for her to freeze her eggs, which I think is generous.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
I’m back at it today @Lily!

I have purchased a primer with a bonding agent for the 1940s plaster walls that were cleaned with TSP. I did a light surface sanding to remove debris and smooth it out first.

Primer is typically $30 per gal. This stuff is $82, but I don’t have to heavy sand into what is probably lead based paint. I don’t mind paint extra to avoid all that.

I’ve been painting since I was a kid. I moved onto furniture restoration when I got my first apartment. My godfather is a cabinet maker, painter and has drafting experience, so he has handled mural and higher end wallpaper projects for people like Paul McCartney, Prince and Paula Abdul.

I consulted with him on this project before I started. He recommended the primer + bonding agent.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Took a 9 month break.

At this rate, you will not get that old derelict house into a livable condition in your lifetime.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I’m back at it today @Lily!

I have purchased a primer with a bonding agent for the 1940s plaster walls that were cleaned with TSP. I did a light surface sanding to remove debris and smooth it out first.

Primer is typically $30 per gal. This stuff is $82, but I don’t have to heavy sand into what is probably lead based paint. I don’t mind paint extra to avoid all that.

I’ve been painting since I was a kid. I moved onto furniture restoration when I got my first apartment. My godfather is a cabinet maker, painter and has drafting experience, so he has handled mural and higher end wallpaper projects for people like Paul McCartney, Prince and Paula Abdul.

I consulted with him on this project before I started. He recommended the primer + bonding agent.

Awesome! I know you've been working hard at this the last couple of weeks. I've enjoyed seeing the pics you've sent via text.

I think spring time is a great time to pick up projects again.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
Awesome! I know you've been working hard at this the last couple of weeks. I've enjoyed seeing the pics you've sent via text.

I think spring time is a great time to pick up projects again.

I finished the mantle and the windows today. The door was taken off its hinges and all new hardware has been ordered. I finished up the detail in the door with the fancy file set my dad got me.

I wish it was finished, but I refuse to rush the process.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I finished the mantle and the windows today. The door was taken off its hinges and all new hardware has been ordered. I finished up the detail in the door with the fancy file set my dad got me.

I wish it was finished, but I refuse to rush the process.

I love the mantle. It's a very nice room.

I think you're right to take your time. The work will turn out better.