Murdock's home renovations...DIY awesomeness

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
To suffice your probable imagination….

my grands had a trust created in the early 70s before I was born. I am not anticipating finding anything in this safe.

I reached out to all the men in my family. My father thinks that someone will remember and we had a good laugh about holding a stethoscope to it while we listen for the clicks that will be the hints that lead us to the code to crack the safe.

I’m grateful that my grands left behind this wonderful legacy of treasures to be discovered and investigated.

I miss them dearly.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

my grands had a trust created in the early 70s before I was born. I am not anticipating finding anything in this safe.

I reached out to all the men in my family. My father thinks that someone will remember and we had a good laugh about holding a stethoscope to it while we listen for the clicks that will be the hints that lead us to the code to crack the safe.

I’m grateful that my grands left behind this wonderful legacy of treasures to be discovered and investigated.

I miss them dearly.

Neither of my pairs of grandparents were well off, they were working class people. I only have items I consider treasures from my grandmother. I have her original molcajete and tortillera (cast iron) that were given to her as wedding gifts. I have some family pictures and embroidered aprons (Mexican style), and a few other personal treasures.

I actually have a collection of molcajetes from my aunts as well, and put salsa and guacamole in them for family get togethers. I miss my grandparents very much. Too bad we can't skip parents and go to our grandparents when born. Lol

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️

I miss them dearly.

Neither of my pairs of grandparents were well off, they were working class people. I only have items I consider treasures from my grandmother. I have her original molcajete and tortillera (cast iron) that were given to her as wedding gifts. I have some family pictures and embroidered aprons (Mexican style), and a few other personal treasures.

I actually have a collection of molcajetes from my aunts as well, and put salsa and guacamole in them for family get togethers. I miss my grandparents very much. Too bad we can't skip parents and go to our grandparents when born. Lol

those things are priceless!!!

We have some of El Big’s abuelita’s kitchen items. I cherish those as well. We both had an amazing connect to our grands.

My most treasured possession isn’t her
diamonds or jewelry… but the Mary statue that’s chipped here and there that sat on the nightstand next to her side of the bed.

The BIG stuff is nice too… but more as an appreciation like “damn, check YOU and an eye for quality out!”

I appreciate their struggles and determination to make it here. Not as difficult as minorities in this country, but we got them to see that too…. eventually.

xoxo

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I miss them dearly.

those things are priceless!!!

We have some of El Big’s abuelita’s kitchen items. I cherish those as well. We both had an amazing connect to our grands.

My most treasured possession isn’t her
diamonds or jewelry… but the Mary statue that’s chipped here and there that sat on the nightstand next to her side of the bed.

The BIG stuff is nice too… but more as an appreciation like “damn, check YOU and an eye for quality out!”

I appreciate their struggles and determination to make it here. Not as difficult as minorities in this country, but we got them to see that too…. eventually.

xoxo

So...your current Boyfriend grew up in the same neighborhood in a house near where you did...and you 2 never met when you were young?

Is that correct @Murdock?

Just now where you are middle aged, eh?

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
My father surprised me tonight by coming over and opening the safe.

Inside was my share of the contents of my grandmothers China cabinet that they tucked away for me while I was living out of the state after she died. I found the little pewter cups we used as children for Sunday dinner and holidays. I found the tea set we have used my entire life, her Waterford glasses, the Tiffany whiskey decanter in the signature blue box she never wanted to put out for company, and the angel for her Christmas tree. I also found the necklace and pear earrings she brought with her from England when she came to California after she married my grandfather. They were in the original boxes.

It’s been 13 years since I lost her. My father said he was waiting for a rainy day to show me this, but it was just dumb luck my fiancé came across it rummaging the room off the garage.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
@Murdock I never cared for "valuables" either when someone I was close to passed. I simply wanted something to remember them by.

With my Mom, I got the family photos, and her recipes. Wish I had snagged the autographed pic of The Judds she had, she cherished it lol. I gave my lil sister everything else, and she mostly pissed it all away.

With my Dad, I asked for his staff he made, and one of his leather biker jackets. I got those, plus my grandads pistol and knife case.

When my Great Aunt passes away, I told her all I wanted was a bull horn that I use to blow when I was little. It reminds me of the good times on her old land.

I got a couple good friends who are getting old, and I asked them each for a specific small item. Like my one friend has an old German eye glass that you use when proofing printing. My other friend has an old German knife.

Others, I simply kept something from my childhood that reminded me of them. Like a small stuffed dog my Uncle gave me, named Doobie lol. A night light that had my nickname my Great Grandad use to call me. A small crochet of Chilly Willy that my aunt made me. A fossil rock from my Aunts old land. Stuff like that.

Stuff that might not mean much to anyone else, but it does to me.

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter
The only trinket I have from the great-grands on Mom's side is a repaired ceramic statue of a WW1 German soldier which he "liberated" during that war, in which he served as a NCO. It has an inscription around the base that translates as "Our hearts to God and our spirit against the enemy. The desire for victory must be of iron." @SHAMPAIN and @Aryan would probably kill to cuddle with it. On Dad's side I have my 3xgreat grandpa's pistol, and my 2x grandma's corncob pipe and her Japanned snuff box. Pic of the Kraut available on request, but not wanting to jack your thread.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
My father surprised me tonight by coming over and opening the safe.

Inside was my share of the contents of my grandmothers China cabinet that they tucked away for me while I was living out of the state after she died. I found the little pewter cups we used as children for Sunday dinner and holidays. I found the tea set we have used my entire life, her Waterford glasses, the Tiffany whiskey decanter in the signature blue box she never wanted to put out for company, and the angel for her Christmas tree. I also found the necklace and pear earrings she brought with her from England when she came to California after she married my grandfather. They were in the original boxes.

It’s been 13 years since I lost her. My father said he was waiting for a rainy day to show me this, but it was just dumb luck my fiancé came across it rummaging the room off the garage.

Nice haul! That's so cool your dad new the combination to the safe.

SHAMPAIN

Vape Nation
Site Supporter ☠️
The only trinket I have from the great-grands on Mom's side is a repaired ceramic statue of a WW1 German soldier which he "liberated" during that war, in which he served as a NCO. It has an inscription around the base that translates as "Our hearts to God and our spirit against the enemy. The desire for victory must be of iron." @SHAMPAIN and @Aryan would probably kill to cuddle with it. On Dad's side I have my 3xgreat grandpa's pistol, and my 2x grandma's corncob pipe and her Japanned snuff box. Pic of the Kraut available on request, but not wanting to jack your thread.
jwFkLS3.jpg

Fb21JPY.jpg

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
Well, I bid you all farewell for a bit.

My baby sister is having her first baby with a man whose family escaped Nazi France. They were furriers and paid $200k per head to get out.

Its also a time for peace since Good Friday and Easter are approaching. I wish you all a happy Easter and spring.

Catch you on the flip side xoxo Murdy

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Congrats on the new family member!

Happy Easter and Happy Spring to you. I've also been considering taking a week off starting Monday. I don't know what I'll decide, but it's probably a good idea.

See you soon!

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️

Happy Easter and Happy Spring to you. I've also been considering taking a week off starting Monday. I don't know what I'll decide, but it's probably a good idea.

See you soon!

I’ll see you after spring break xoxo

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

See you soon!

still here?
i hope u saved the old school tub

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️

See you soon!

still here?
i hope u saved the old school tub

My clawfoot 1920s tub was in my Seattle apartment that was built in the same era. I miss that apartment and Seattle, especially now that it’s spring.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
I didn’t have any silver cleaner and the tea set was tarnished. It’s amazing what some toothpaste and a good rub and polish can accomplish.

The tiny pewter cups and other trinkets were soaked and boiled in salt water to neutralize the iron.

I’m having a formal 4 pm tea on my patio with finger sandwiches and scones this afternoon.

Today ~ we sand and prep the kitchen walls for paint. We picked Honey tea for the walls and English Channel for the cabinets. They accent the dishes we picked well. The flooring that we are about to order after one more trip to a tile store in San Diego is a mixed Spanish tile pattern that is treated with a coat of French antique and then stamped with a light grey pattern that is traditional for the tile. We wanted Spanish colonial boho chic for the kitchen aka not have it look like a Mexican restaurant.

Last edited:

SHAMPAIN

Vape Nation
Site Supporter ☠️
I didn’t have any silver cleaner and the tea set was tarnished. It’s amazing what some toothpaste and a good run and polish can accomplish.

The tiny pewter cups and other trinkets were soaked and boiled in salt water to neutralize the iron.

I’m having a formal 4 pm tea on my patio with finger sandwiches and scones this afternoon.

Today ~ we sand and prep the kitchen walls for paint. We picked Honey tea for the walls and English Channel for the cabinets. They accent the dishes we picked well. The flooring that we are about to order after one more trip to a tile store in San Diego is a mixed Spanish tile pattern that is treated with a coat of French antique and then stamped with a light grey pattern that is traditional for the tile. We wanted Spanish colonial boho chic for the kitchen aka not have it look like a Mexican restaurant.
Toothpaste is great for cleaning a lot of things, I've got a book somewhere about home hacks that I read many uses including using it to get hairline scratches off your phone screen, really works for light scratches...

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
I didn’t have any silver cleaner and the tea set was tarnished. It’s amazing what some toothpaste and a good run and polish can accomplish.

Toothpaste is great for cleaning a lot of things, I've got a book somewhere about home hacks that I read many uses including using it to get hairline scratches off your phone screen, really works for light scratches...

Please post the recipe here :Happy5:

SHAMPAIN

Vape Nation
Site Supporter ☠️

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

I just looked it up and got this :ThumbsUp1:

SHAMPAIN

Vape Nation
Site Supporter ☠️

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
@Lily

I’ve hosted a few gatherings and all my childhood GFs are lthe vibe of my den remodel. They all agree it’s very peaceful. No one has had the eye to spot the 40s craftsman vibe…. except when I start to explain the salvaged paneling.

Everyone has asked about the mid century modern record player/stereo that we have transitioned into a tv stand. We have been holding off on mounting it until we can decide on what size tv.

The den is huge, so I’m thinking 70”+ or whatever is larger than the mid century piece. He thinks it’s too big, so we are going to wait. But I love the drapes that remind us both of our grandmothers formal living rooms in the 70s/80s.

We finally picked out our dinning room table, which is so large we are swapping the formal living room for the dinning room and then creating a cozy little tv watching room in the dinning room, which is what I prefer anyways. I was raised by hippies and they would turn the tv off for 6 months at a time. But my grands used the smallest room for their tv den since they didn’t like the draft of the house. They had carpet in there until last month when it was ripped up and the insulation was installed in all interior walls. It’s all been required as well.

The kitchen is on hold. The farm sink is being installed.

I no longer watch home improvement shows. This has been dragging out for so long that it’s painful to watch a project of this magnitude come to fruition in just 30 minutes. But we remind ourselves regularly that it’s the journey of this project that we decided to for the sake of our future and the strength of our foundation. We surprisingly work well together despite his being a sarcastic grump sometimes and my being a neurotic air head.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

My mate who had a nearly full time used CD business on Ebay through the 2000's swore by toothpaste and automobile polishes to renew dodgy discs.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
@Lily

I’ve hosted a few gatherings and all my childhood GFs are lthe vibe of my den remodel. They all agree it’s very peaceful. No one has had the eye to spot the 40s craftsman vibe…. except when I start to explain the salvaged paneling.

Everyone has asked about the mid century modern record player/stereo that we have transitioned into a tv stand. We have been holding off on mounting it until we can decide on what size tv.

The den is huge, so I’m thinking 70”+ or whatever is larger than the mid century piece. He thinks it’s too big, so we are going to wait. But I love the drapes that remind us both of our grandmothers formal living rooms in the 70s/80s.

We finally picked out our dinning room table, which is so large we are swapping the formal living room for the dinning room and then creating a cozy little tv watching room in the dinning room, which is what I prefer anyways. I was raised by hippies and they would turn the tv off for 6 months at a time. But my grands used the smallest room for their tv den since they didn’t like the draft of the house. They had carpet in there until last month when it was ripped up and the insulation was installed in all interior walls. It’s all been required as well.

I no longer watch home improvement shows. This has been dragging out for so long that it’s painful to watch a project of this magnitude come to fruition in just 30 minutes. But we remind ourselves regularly that it’s the journey of this project that we decided to for the sake of our future and the strength of our foundation. We surprisingly work well together despite his being a sarcastic grump sometimes and my being a neurotic air head.

I think huge tv's are a turn off. You should consider buying one of those models where it looks like a painting when it's not in use. I think that would help disguise it.

Renovations always take a long time, especially in these unprecedented times with supply chain issues. You're fine, it's gonna get done. The good thing is you're right by the shore. Anytime you need to chill, you can walk a few blocks and bury your toes in the sand.

Gratitude, yanno? :)

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
@Lily

I think huge tv's are a turn off. You should consider buying one of those models where it looks like a painting when it's not in use. I think that would help disguise it.

Renovations always take a long time, especially in these unprecedented times with supply chain issues. You're fine, it's gonna get done. The good thing is you're right by the shore. Anytime you need to chill, you can walk a few blocks and bury your toes in the sand.

I’m grateful… but I get to vent sometimes too :GiggleBitch:

It’s the only room we have a tv in. Don’t worry, I’m not going to be one of those people who has a tv too large for the room.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
@Lily

It’s the only room we have a tv in. Don’t worry, I’m not going to be one of those people who has a tv too large for the room.

You're right, you just want to be done. I get that. How many rooms left to go?

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
@Lily

the den is the only room 100% complete

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
@Lily

the den is the only room 100% complete

No wonder you're sick of it already. Is it time or materials that's in short supply?

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
@Lily

I run off a soft drink can sized projector if I want to watch a big screen movie but otherwise the phone or tablet suffices....

20220724-001217.jpg