Religion, spirituality, consciouness

Reggie_Essent

An Claidheam Anam
Oh, so you study the history of the thing but not the thing itself. Okay, I get it.
..anyway, the subject is one of history plainly enough in some sense, but that's okay. Never mind then.

Maybe you're willing to tolerate the sight of Reggie getting unhorsed without rating his dismount, but I for one am not.

Anyone who claims an ability to study the history of Europe and the middle east without getting ass deep into theology, probably couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were printed on the sole of it.

Better summon a couple of stable boys to help @Reggie_Essent get back on his feet. He's encumbered by armor, and sitting in a pile of horse manure.

Pffft! Your meat shielding is pathetic.

Tell me, Levon, does this garbled and confused question make any sense to you in relation to my earlier expounding upon the development of the concept of the Trinity in the late Roman Empire?:

"... the Trinity (a part of the way back) but how it interacted with the Virgin in the creation of the material universe/nature (the myth of the virgin birth)."

I don't know how the "Virgin" interacted in the creation of the material universe/nature vis a vis the development of the concept of the Trinity in the 4th and 5th centuries. Do you?

I suspect Holliday was dipping into the cooking brandy again when he made that poast, but perhaps a world class Theologian like you could answer him.

Start a thread about it. If I find it interesting, I might weigh in.

1Holliday1

Banned
Banned
LoLz, Raggs - The Spirit of God moved on the face of the waters

I should really leave you to ponder that, but here...
.There are 3 aspects of God aka the Trinity (far older than the Bible),
one is known as the Spirit, and it moved on the face of the waters (the Sea/Mar/Mari, or Mary)
aka the Virgin. You know the rest of the story. This is basic stuff to anyone who actually has, rather than like you simply claims to have studied the subject. No wonder you think it's fairy tales, which btw are also loaded with greater meaning, since all you know is the outer layer which was intended to entertain the common folk while concealing the inner meaning. I though perhaps you were a step beyond the board's bible beaters, but alas.......

...and that's the little you get, go make a study of the rest if you aren't too lazy.
What is the Virgin and what the Spirit?

Reggie_Essent

An Claidheam Anam

one is known as the Spirit, and it moved on the face of the waters (the Sea/Mar/Mari, or Mary)
aka the Virgin. You know the rest of the story. This is basic stuff to anyone who actually has, rather than like you simply claims to have studied the subject. No wonder you think it's fairy tales, which btw are also loaded with greater meaning, since all you know is the outer layer which was intended to entertain the common folk while concealing the inner meaning. I though perhaps you were a step beyond the board's bible beaters, but alas.......

...and that's the little you get, go make a study of the rest if you aren't too lazy.

Once again Holliday displays his stupid.

This is theology, Holliday (Reggie explains as if to a slightly retarded children), and as you say, basic stuff for a weekend catechism class for young children at your local church. Earlier in this thread, I was explaining the history of how the doctrine of the Trinity was incorporated into the early Christian Church, and how the early Christian Emperors of Byzantium molded christian doctrine to fit the demographic realties of the population they were in control of, namely the soldiers of their legions, who believed that Mithras was born in a stable to a virgin mother and he was lain in a manger and three wise men came from the east to adore him.

... and I never paid much attention during catechism because I had raging hormones and the girls were all sprouting tits.

1Holliday1

Banned
Banned

This is theology, Holliday (Reggie explains as if to a slightly retarded children), and as you say, basic stuff for a weekend catechism class for young children at your local church. Earlier in this thread, I was explaining the history of how the doctrine of the Trinity was incorporated into the early Christian Church, and how the early Christian Emperors of Byzantium molded christian doctrine to fit the demographic realties of the population they were in control of, namely the soldiers of their legions, who believed that Mithras was born in a stable to a virgin mother and he was lain in a manger and three wise men came from the east to adore him.

... and I never paid much attention during catechism because I had raging hormones and the girls were all sprouting tits.
I read what you wrote, Raggz, and you said that the question I asked was somehow incomprehensible, but as you see...It was quite nicely formulated.
...and, yes I know your interest lay in the most pedestrian realm and not more inspired pursuits.

PS: I'd previously informed the class of the rest you mention, but thanks anyway.

Reggie_Essent

An Claidheam Anam

I read what you wrote, Raggz, and you said that the question I asked was somehow incomprehensible, but as you see...It was quite nicely formulated.
...and, yes I know your interest lay in the most pedestrian realm and not more inspired pursuits.

PS: I'd previously informed the class of the rest you mention, but thanks anyway.

Nicely formulated if you're on mescaline, I suppose, but then you are one who's inspired pursuit is outsmarting a fish with overly expensive antique equipment, so forgive me for not seeing much of merit in your drug-induced postulations.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
The bible contains 783,137 words

and out of 783,137 words one can only find maybe two or three vague and highly speculative texts to support the identity of the author? Given the fact there are thousands of passages which declare conclusively Jesus to be the SON of God?

lmao -- reading comprehension is essential
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

You gotta understand somewhat (because we really can't grasp it) what is meant by the Trinity.

Jesus Himself went to the cross because He made Himself equal to God. His "crime" was blasphemy.

Trinitarianism is a pretty confusing doctrine because we cant really grasp what it is. We have no point of reference.

Kinda like we cant grasp an existence without time, and how God just always was. We are born and we die and we live according to time....God doesnt. That's enough to melt your brain if you really think about enough.

God is a Being unlike anything we can possibly conceive of. So one God existing as 3 persons but still remaining 1 in a perfect relationship with Himself....that makes no sense to us.

And I would expect that real God would be that far beyond us.

How could we possibly grasp a being like God? It would be like pouring the ocean into a water glass.

I'm good with things about God that are difficult for me to understand and how the being that is Him is something inconceivable to humans. Because you know.....you cant make that up lol.

Look how little we understand about the universe. Now think of sort of Being created that. There is no way.

Alot of people who have that particular hate of the bible view God in such an ignorant way as if they humanize Him. It's very narrow minded.

1Holliday1

Banned
Banned

Nicely formulated if you're on mescaline, I suppose, but then you are one who's inspired pursuit is outsmarting a fish with overly expensive antique equipment, so forgive me for not seeing much of merit in your drug-induced postulations.
So you weren't paying attention in Catechism class because the girls (like the rest of us), but then your 7th birthday came along and you got a GI Joe and Pez Dispenser, and model airplane ...w/glue.
I mean, even after studying some history which made religion a central aspect of life and driving force in society and the politics of the day, you never wondered what it was all about? What mysteries might lay beneath the veneer? That seems almost impossibly uninquisitive.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Other gods are described as basically super powered humans with human characteristics. And after life thoughts are always very humanized. As if things are going to be like they are here but prettier and you can do all the things you loved about physical life.

I dont think any of that is the case at all and absolutely none of us could understand it until we get there.

Tthe bible doesnt describe a humanized God or a humanized eternity.

Near death experiences are pretty fascinating. Especailly the ones where people encountered God. They all come back upset that they came back. There are support groups for these people. They go through a lot of depression.

They all say they were the real "reality" and this is all like a dream

1Holliday1

Banned
Banned

So you weren't paying attention in Catechism class because the girls (like the rest of us), but then your 7th birthday came along and you got a GI Joe and Pez Dispenser, and model airplane ...w/glue.
I mean, even after studying some history which made religion a central aspect of life and driving force in society and the politics of the day, you never wondered what it was all about? What mysteries might lay beneath the veneer? That seems almost impossibly uninquisitive.
.See, like, some might ask what is this Virgin material, or proto-matter, and what primordial impulse does the Spirit represent say for example in modern physics, or
. is it purely metaphysics and out of the reach of mundane science.

...and then, of course, well
how can one know it?

I like tits too, Raggs. Just adore them, but I still have time to look into other things.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I once farted in an elevator and a bunch of people immediately started saying "oh, my God" so maybe farts are the source of spirituality. Lol!

Reggie_Essent

An Claidheam Anam

No.

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter
Oh, so you study the history of the thing but not the thing itself. Okay, I get it.
..anyway, the subject is one of history plainly enough in some sense, but that's okay. Never mind then.

Maybe you're willing to tolerate the sight of Reggie getting unhorsed without rating his dismount, but I for one am not.

Anyone who claims an ability to study the history of Europe and the middle east without getting ass deep into theology, probably couldn't pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were printed on the sole of it.

Better summon a couple of stable boys to help @Reggie_Essent get back on his feet. He's encumbered by armor, and sitting in a pile of horse manure.

Tell me, Levon, does this garbled and confused question make any sense to you in relation to my earlier expounding upon the development of the concept of the Trinity in the late Roman Empire?:

"... the Trinity (a part of the way back) but how it interacted with the Virgin in the creation of the material universe/nature (the myth of the virgin birth)."

I don't know how the "Virgin" interacted in the creation of the material universe/nature vis a vis the development of the concept of the Trinity in the 4th and 5th centuries. Do you?

I suspect Holliday was dipping into the cooking brandy again when he made that poast, but perhaps a world class Theologian like you could answer him.

I came back into the thread on page 5, after an earlier comment and skipping a few pages. My comment was specifically about your assertion that you had studied history but not theology. It's clear from your later comments since then that you have indeed studied theology, to the degree that church doctrine is a rudimentary attempt at theology. And of course, some of your comments do address church history as I understand it, in all its crapitude. And I probably agree with some of your statements about that.

As for meat shielding, I do sort of get the general nature of what Holliday is propounding, but he's talking about metaphysics and not really theology as we mostly use the term (because none of us seem to have studied philosophy very hard.) I'm not in the thread to support HIS stuff either, because frankly he drinks a bit sometimes, as most of us are wont to do, and I regard his metaphysics as harmless enough.

I wll just caution everybody that the Bible (the canon bible, the sacred 66, as well as a lot of other writings that have been lost to us and/or excluded from the canon) are loaded with symbolic language that should not really be taken literally, as well as literal language that should perhaps be taken symbolically, and that it takes either a fuck ton of discernment to sort such things out, or some dumb luck, or maybe some REALLY DEEP LIFETIMES of study. Bottom line, a lot of stuff in there is not really saying what it SAYS it is saying.

People who don't get that have literally been killing each other over it for millennia. And this forum is probably not a venue that I care to utilize for arguing about it.

Last edited:

1Holliday1

Banned
Banned

I came back into the thread on page 5, after an earlier comment and skipping a few pages. My comment was specifically about your assertion that you had studied history but not theology. It's clear from your later comments since then that you have indeed studied theology, to the degree that church doctrine is a rudimentary attempt at theology. And of course, some of your comments do address church history as I understand it, in all its crapitude. And I probably agree with some of your statements about that.

As for meat shielding, I do sort of get the general nature of what Holliday is propounding, but he's talking about metaphysics and not really theology as we mostly use the term (because none of us seem to have studied philosophy very hard.) I'm not in the thread to support HIS stuff either, because frankly he drinks a bit sometimes, as most of us are wont to do, and I regard his metaphysics as harmless enough.

I wll just caution everybody that the Bible (the canon bible, the sacred 66, as well as a lot of other writings that have been lost to us and/or excluded from the canon, are loaded with symbolic language that should not really be taken literally, as well as literal language that should perhaps be taken symbolically, and that it takes either a fuck ton of discernment to sort such things out, or some dumb luck, or maybe some REALLY DEEP LIFETIMES of study. Bottom line, a lot of stuff in there is not really saying what it SAYS it is saying.

People who don't get that have literally been killing each other over it for millennia. And this forum is probably not a venue that I care to utilize for arguing about it.
Many of thanks for the reiteration. I've been over this with the board bible beaters on multiple occasions, and I've also pointed out I don't make a practice of discussing the subject generally but have to admit having had a bit of fun lately with some of the conservatives. I'm so bad. Forgive me? :Happy5:

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

I wll just caution everybody that the Bible (the canon bible, the sacred 66, as well as a lot of other writings that have been lost to us and/or excluded from the canon, are loaded with symbolic language that should not really be taken literally, as well as literal language that should perhaps be taken symbolically, and that it takes either a fuck ton of discernment to sort such things out, or some dumb luck, or maybe some REALLY DEEP LIFETIMES of study. Bottom line, a lot of stuff in there is not really saying what it SAYS it is saying.

Many of thanks for the reiteration. I've been over this with the board bible beaters on multiple occasions, and I've also pointed out I don't make a practice of discussing the subject generally but have to admit having had a bit of fun lately with some of the conservatives. I'm so bad. Forgive me? :Happy5:
I reckon that those bible-bashing-happy-clappers in this here America spread covid! Ain’t that the truth!?
:Excited6:

1Holliday1

Banned
Banned

I reckon that those bible-bashing-happy-clappers in this here America spread covid! Ain’t that the truth!
Yes, it is the truth, and they are 100% correct to think that god will sort them out later.
Oh, and just a bit of personal info - I'm having morning coffee - totally sober as I write this. :LOL3:

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

I reckon that those bible-bashing-happy-clappers in this here America spread covid! Ain’t that the truth!
Yes, it is the truth, and they are 100% correct to think that god will sort them out later.
Oh, and just a bit of personal info - I'm having morning coffee - totally sober as I write this. :LOL3:
Wel then, I live in a land downunder. I’ve had a good meal and several glasses of tip-top red wine. It’s almost midnight and I’m revelling! ;)