At the Airport today...ran my mouth until I got ticketed by a cop

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Here's the deal.

My daughter asked me to take her to the airport to pick up her pretty disabled friend that is barely ambulatory. She was flying in for her mother's funeral. I agreed to go. Drove about an hour away to do so.

Parked in "arrivals" at the curb as the airplane had landed. "Curb monitor" gave us a bit of guff for waiting there. We told him our story. Disabled friend requiring wheelchair assistance had landed and we were waiting. Told us to drive laps around while waiting. Asked him why we couldn't just quietly wait for her. There was 1 car about 20 yards ahead and another a good 50 yards behind us. That was it. He said "those are the rules". I asked him if he could use some discretion because it seemed unreasonable to drive around and around for no good reason. He says if you don't like it, write the Mayor.

So, we left to find a place to park. Her friend calls as we pull away. She's off the plane, but Delta claims to have no one to help her. Fuck. We whip right back around the airport and pull up again, daughter gets out to help push her friend. My daughter jumps out and sees the guy as she walks into terminal. She says, my friend is here, my mom is waiting, could you please cut us some slack.

Could he have done so? Probably, but he's a jackass with "some" authority, well, at least in his mind.

He comes out and makes a beeline for where I am. Shit. I slide down my passenger window and I say, so you're here to harass people that are waiting for a disabled person? He smirks and say "I really need you to drive around and make laps or find another place to park". Again, I said, she's here, she'll be out any minute, can you be reasonable? Driving around in circles doesn't make sense and finding a parking space as she's coming down doesn't make sense either. By the time I park, I'll have to come back.

"Sorry, those are the rules." I said you certainly have discretion to bend the rules especially for a disabled person. I guess you don't believe me. At this point, I know it's all about making me do something I don't want to do because he has "authority". He says I don't disbelieve you but you need to move.

I said "No, I'm not moving, this is incredibly stupid and unreasonable. You're just being a jackass." Yeah, I said it...I am so tired of bullshit for the sake of bullshit. Had I been obstructing traffic, etc. I would have considered his request reasonable. But I wasn't.

He says "You won't move?" I said "No, I'm not". He threatened me with Airport Police. I said "Call the cops if you want, I don't care. While you're there, maybe you should try to get a real job, curb monitor". He said "Why don't you get a job?" I said "I am retired from a real job, motherfucker." He walked away.

I'm waiting for them for a few minutes longer, of course Delta couldn't initially find her luggage, go figure... Then I see a cop park in front of me.
*Sigh* I open my window and he says that it was his understanding that I refused to leave the curb. I said, well, that's not entirely accurate, I did a lap around the complex and was immediately called to come back. Explained the disabled friend, etc.

He was there to back up the jackass, clearly. He said I needed to park. I said well the airline didn't have a person to help the wheelchair bound friend, etc. He also didn't give a fuck, it's also about "authority" and making people do as they say. He then asked me for my license, registration and insurance. My handbag just happened to be in the back seat and I said, I'm going to reach over and get my bag. He asked me why it was in the back if I was operating a vehicle? Confused, I said, I can't have my handbag on the back seat while I drive? He says, I thought you meant "trunk". I said, I can't reach all the way into the trunk to grab my handbag, officer.

He says "I'll open the door and get it to you. Is it the black bag on the seat?" Yep, I get him my license and insurance information from my bag, but need to reach into the glove box to get it. He nods his head and I say "Good, we're on the same page, because I don't feel like getting shot today." He opens his mouth to say something and then just closes it, shakes his head and glares.

I hand him registration, he calls in my license to make sure I don't have any outstanding issues. He gives me the ticket. "You need to go park or make laps." I asked for his name and badge number...he said it's on the ticket. I asked for the curb monitors name, he said "You can get it for yourself".

I said, "Outstanding officer, I hope you feel like to served and protected us citizens today." Again, he narrows his eyes and just walks on.

I was incensed. I pull away from the curb and then I really did something I shouldn't have when we met at the traffic light. I flipped him off.

He did nothing. I think he knew it just wasn't worth blowing it up any further than it had gone. After I finally got my daughter and friend picked up, they looked at the ticket and asked how much it was for, about $50.

I told my kid that's it $50? I feel that it's close to being the best spent $50. I got in a good 5-6 licks between the two of them.

I will be fighting the ticket, will show up, and see if dipshit cop shows up. Will be writing the Mayor's office as well. I have nothing but time on my hands...

I was so aggravated at first, but trolling them was a good time for sure...:LOL3:

Garraty_47

Mutants Rule!
Site Supporter
The cop will probably be there unless something more serious than traffic court makes it impossible for him to be there.

Cops are 'assigned' specific days in court every month and he'll be attending not only for you but every other ticket he's written around that time that someone didn't pay before the court date.

If you're calm and reasonable (and luck into a judge with a bit of common sense) the fine might be reduced or taken under advisement (dropped as long as you stay out of trouble for some length of time, typically a year).

Never forget the cops and the courts are on the same team. If you put the judge in a position where s/he feels s/he has to "defend" the cop you'll eat that $50 for sure.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
The cop will probably be there unless something more serious than traffic court makes it impossible for him to be there.

Cops are 'assigned' specific days in court every month and he'll be attending not only for you but every other ticket he's written around that time that someone didn't pay before the court date.

If you're calm and reasonable (and luck into a judge with a bit of common sense) the fine might be reduced or taken under advisement (dropped as long as you stay out of trouble for some length of time, typically a year).

Never forget the cops and the courts are on the same team. If you put the judge in a position where s/he feels s/he has to "defend" the cop you'll eat that $50 for sure.

I truly don't care. If I lose, it was money well spent. Never actually broken any real laws, but have witnessed cops being super shitty. I have relatives that are in law enforcement, real shitty attitudes in general.

Fuck 'em.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Anywho, it's just occurred to me that it's going to cost this jurisdiction some money to process my dispute, maybe couple of hundred at least. Again, fuck 'em.

realgrimm

ፕልክፏቹክፕ ነየርጎልረጎነፕ
Global Moderator
I call bullshit.. I'm sure it wasn't that pleasant a drive home , I'm sure your daughter regrets asking you.. How loud did you yell at them when you showed them how much it cost mommy to help her..

They were pretty lucky you got to lash out at 2 men doing their jobs first..

How embarrassing

:Bullshit:

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I call bullshit.. I'm sure it wasn't that pleasant a drive home , I'm sure your daughter regrets asking you.. How loud did you yell at them when you showed them how much it cost mommy to help her..

They were pretty lucky you got to lash out and 2 men doing their jobs first..

How embarrassing

:Bullshit:

I didn't yell. I wasn't trying to get arrested, dumbass.
What job? Monitoring a curb from terrorist middle-aged women going out of their way to pick up a disabled person? You say you don't believe anything happened, so why would it be an unpleasant drive home?

Are you stupid or stoned?

If you want to troll, take it to meltdown. This is the wrong sub. You don't have to agree with me...that doesn't bother me.

TheHaze

If my dog doesn't like you, I probably won'teither
Site Supporter
Lily did you have a Handycap placecard ? No well then you can only pick someone up but with that said the dick head could have give a little so call a TV station and bet it will hit the news :Beatdown2:
PS - What kind of handycap does your friend have ?

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Lily did you have a Handycap placecard ? No well then you can only pick someone up but with that said the dick head could have give a little so call a TV station and bet it will hit the news :Beatdown2:
PS - What kind of handycap does your friend have ?

Yes, I had the placard up after my first lap around the airport. She has 4 auto-immune diseases, can't walk more than a few feet on her own due to basically whole body pain. I think lupus is one of the major diseases, maybe fibromyalgia as well. She's actually my daughter's friend. I was doing my kiddo and her friend a favor.

I just feel bad for the girl with her health issues and travelling for her mom's funeral.

I thought about how easily that incident could have gone viral had someone been recording.

Garraty_47

Mutants Rule!
Site Supporter
Cops have way more discretion than they like to admit.
Most are only afraid to use it because then they have to take personal responsibility for their decision.

They'd rather be mindless jackasses than risk having to explain themselves to their supervisor if someone complains etc.

All that 'qualified immunity' stuff (and having to take any responsibility for any in/action, really) is predicated on them staying within a certain distance of their training and departmental policies; the path of least risk is to just pretend they have no choice but to be complete fuckheads hiding behind some rule/regulation/policy.

They're given discretion but then quietly discouraged from using it and the vast majority of cops are fine with that.

It's fucking lazy and cowardly.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Cops have way more discretion than they like to admit.
Most are only afraid to use it because then they have to take personal responsibility for their decision.

They'd rather be mindless jackasses than risk having to explain themselves to their supervisor if someone complains etc.

All that 'qualified immunity' stuff (and having to take any responsibility for any in/action, really) is predicated on them staying within a certain distance of their training and departmental policies; the path of least risk is to just pretend they have no choice but to be complete fuckheads hiding behind some rule/regulation/policy.

They're given discretion but then quietly discouraged from using it and the vast majority of cops are fine with that.

It's fucking lazy and cowardly.

I would like to think that an airport cop should be more concerned with actual dangers, especially terrorist concerns at an airport, versus making life difficult for the disabled and those helping/caring for them.

Last edited:

TheHaze

If my dog doesn't like you, I probably won'teither
Site Supporter
Not sure but thinking those guys/girls are want to be Rent A Cops -