~ Murdy’s Advice Column ~

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
There is no legal case here, Joe. He sounds like a dick though.

I guess he didnt trust your check for whatever reason. But there is nothing here a court would give a shit about. You got your part, he got his money, the job was done.

You have your bank statement where you withdrew the money? He just flat out wont give you a receipt? (Honestly that's not damages....its just annoying)

...I'm not entirely sure why this person is reluctant to furnish a receipt.
It may have to do with his ex-wife & past child support payments he has been ordered to make by the Government.
So perhaps a share of his revenues (or all?) must be paid to his ex.
The man had 8 children by her from his first marriage.
What followed was a domestic dispute where he was kicked out of own home and a court case which went against him.
He was ordered by the government to pay thousands of dollars in child support.
A number of years ago, he told me that he owes over $30,000 to her in back payments.

Now I don't want to be vindictive, I just want the man to furnish me with a damn receipt.

I have a lawyer lined up for this purpose to contact him if he deson't comply.
I sent him a formal request by email to furnish a receipt.
But if that doesn't work, I'll have the lawyer send him a request for the receipt.

Now if that doesn't work, should I use 'the Nuclear option' - that is contact the government and family support services?

Y'know what was peculiar about this situation is when I was picking up my computer he was holding it hostage as if her were still in some custody support battle. And then he told me it was necessary to retain some of my possessions for collateral because a past client I never met or knew, didn't pay him. But I had nothing to do with that incident and it occurered perhaps 10 or 20 years ago.

It was like "you won't get your ocmputer back until you pay me in full."

I knew this guy for 7 years. I went out to social events with him, shared good times.

I thought he was my friend.

I didn't really care about the money actually.

I still don't. I'm just trying to keep track of my expenses and to prevent future claims by him that he wasn't paid or that he discounted my fees.

That's all I'm after. It's just for liability purposes and protection.

I'm not seeking any financial compensation although I was charged for services not performed and software Id din't get to own. And he took a small item I let him for testing purposes.

Is he licensed? I would need to see the actual contract to determine if it was breached.

If this is valued under $5k, you can sue him in small claims court. You would need to send him a certified letter mapping out the terms of the work he was to perform, methods of payment (cash and post dated check) and demand the property back placing a monetary value of what it’s worth and then demand the TOTAL of what you are owed be paid within 30 days. Keep the certified return receipt and then you can sue him.

PM me if you have further questions and good luck!

It is not worth the time, effort, or cash to bother with a small claims court case.

I really just want the receipt. I figger I paid for the job, so I should own the the receipt too.

It's really so that this individual doesn't make false claims against me about non-payment or spreads false rumors int he future.

he kept the licensing to the software too… how much did the software cost?

About $60 USD

ok so that’s also a damage you can recover….

You need to take all the emotion out of this and go sit down and write out what happened. Itemize everything you paid him and everything that wasn’t returned, everything that wasn’t done correctly… go get an estimate from someone who does this type of work to determine what it’s going to cost to get the computer where he was supposed to get it (including having licensed software) and make a 30 day formal demd for payment as I’ve outlined. You can also outline the small claims court filing fee and say you will seek reimbursement of that if you have to take this to court. The problem with small claims court is you have to make the 30 day demand and outline ALL of the expenses or you have no case.

thanks. The rules may be a bit different in Canada, but I'll look into it.

I don't really care about the money or a blinkin' mouse. I just want the receipt.

But maybe I gotta go the whole 9 nine yars just to get the receipt.
why you want the receipt so bad? Tax write off or something?

write your own fucking receipt if that's the case

I just have the invoice for the services I was billed for

You seem to have or are in this tech consulting business.

What would you do?

What's the proper procedure for billing and getting receipt for payment?

I just don't trust the guy ever since he a pulled a fast one like that. That's the reason I want the receipt.

Biggie Smiles

I make libturds berry angry. I do!!!
Site Supporter

I guess he didnt trust your check for whatever reason. But there is nothing here a court would give a shit about. You got your part, he got his money, the job was done.

You have your bank statement where you withdrew the money? He just flat out wont give you a receipt? (Honestly that's not damages....its just annoying)

It may have to do with his ex-wife & past child support payments he has been ordered to make by the Government.
What followed was a domestic dispute where he was kicked out of own home and a court case which went against him.
A number of years ago, he told me that he owes over $30,000 to her in back payments.

Now I don't want to be vindictive, I just want the man to furnish me with a damn receipt.

But if that doesn't work, I'll have the lawyer send him a request for the receipt.

Now if that doesn't work, should I use 'the Nuclear option' - that is contact the government and family support services?

Y'know what was peculiar about this situation is when I was picking up my computer he was holding it hostage as if her were still in some custody support battle. And then he told me it was necessary to retain some of my possessions for collateral because a past client I never met or knew, didn't pay him. But I had nothing to do with that incident and it occurered perhaps 10 or 20 years ago.

I knew this guy for 7 years. I went out to social events with him, shared good times.

I still don't. I'm just trying to keep track of my expenses and to prevent future claims by him that he wasn't paid or that he discounted my fees.

I'm not seeking any financial compensation although I was charged for services not performed and software Id din't get to own. And he took a small item I let him for testing purposes.

Is he licensed? I would need to see the actual contract to determine if it was breached.

If this is valued under $5k, you can sue him in small claims court. You would need to send him a certified letter mapping out the terms of the work he was to perform, methods of payment (cash and post dated check) and demand the property back placing a monetary value of what it’s worth and then demand the TOTAL of what you are owed be paid within 30 days. Keep the certified return receipt and then you can sue him.

It is not worth the time, effort, or cash to bother with a small claims court case.

I really just want the receipt. I figger I paid for the job, so I should own the the receipt too.

It's really so that this individual doesn't make false claims against me about non-payment or spreads false rumors int he future.

About $60 USD

You need to take all the emotion out of this and go sit down and write out what happened. Itemize everything you paid him and everything that wasn’t returned, everything that wasn’t done correctly… go get an estimate from someone who does this type of work to determine what it’s going to cost to get the computer where he was supposed to get it (including having licensed software) and make a 30 day formal demd for payment as I’ve outlined. You can also outline the small claims court filing fee and say you will seek reimbursement of that if you have to take this to court. The problem with small claims court is you have to make the 30 day demand and outline ALL of the expenses or you have no case.

I don't really care about the money or a blinkin' mouse. I just want the receipt.

What would you do?

I just don't trust the guy ever since he a pulled a fast one like that. That's the reason I want the receipt.
Tech consulting is no different than the automotive business when it comes to drafting receipts.

I really only skimmed several posts here because, well, I enjoy conflict and sitting around a camp fire holding hands while smiling at one another politely in ~ Murdy's Snooze Column ~ isn't my cup of tea. Sorry Murd.

That said, as I was scrolling past one of your lengthier posts I did happen to notice the guy is giving you pirated software. is that correct?

Well then, software vendors do have a remedy for this kind of stuff which can come with some heavy penalties and fines. that's probably your best avenue

OP
OP
Murdy

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
Murdy’s Advice to @Joe

Never pay anyone cash. There are plenty of apps like Zele and Venmo that can keep a record of cash transactions for you. That is all :Awesomeness:

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

About $60 USD

What would you do?

Tech consulting is no different than the automotive business when it comes to drafting receipts.

I really only skimmed several posts here because, well, I enjoy conflict and sitting around a camp fire holding hands while smiling at one another politely in ~ Murdy's Snooze Column ~ isn't my cup of tea. Sorry Murd.

That said, as I was scrolling past one of your lengthier posts I did happen to notice the guy is giving you pirated software. is that correct?

Well then, software vendors do have a remedy for this kind of stuff which can come with some heavy penalties and fines. that's probably your best avenue

No, it was bought. He furnished me with a receipt and asked me to pay the bill. Now whether he just turned around and got a refund then pocketed the money, I'm not sure.I saw their website and they offer a refund within the first 15 or 30 days..

So I'm not sure what he did after the softwae was purchased. But he didn't appear to want to transfer the license of the software he'd asked me to apy for. I still have the recipt from the software developer.

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter
Murdy’s Advice to @Joe

Never pay anyone cash. There are plenty of apps like Zele and Venmo that can keep a record of cash transactions for you. That is all :Awesomeness:
Cash is for drug dealers and prostitution houses

anyone still paying cash nowadays deserves to get ripped the fuck off

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter

About $60 USD

What would you do?

No, it was bought. He furnished me with a receipt and asked me to pay the bill. Now whether he just turned around and got a refund then pocketed the money, I'm not sure.I saw their website and they offer a refund within the first 15 or 30 days..

So I'm not sure what he did after the softwae was purchased. But he didn't appear to want to transfer the license of the software he'd asked me to apy for. I still have the recipt from the software developer.
Dude, when it comes to software license is everything

Or did you think 98% of the vendor's profit came from printing ones and zeros unto a CD?

report the fucker for pirating and be done with it

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Murdy’s Advice to @Joe

Did you ever hear of a discount for paying cash? Even in the US? I’d bet a dollar to a dime you’ve got cc problems. A fucked way to live is you ask me.

OP
OP
Murdy

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
Murdy’s Advice to @Joe

It’s always a pattern with people like this too… shady assholes. If you sue them there is a paper trail so other people who do business with them can research and decide what’s best. Judgements are NO joke.

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter
Murdy’s Advice to @Joe

It’s always a pattern with people like this too… shady assholes. If you sue them there is a paper trail so other people who do business with them can research and decide what’s best. Judgements are NO joke.
I don't even buy coffee with cash anymore

The only time I will use cash is when I need some hick to come mow my grass or shave a tree down. And even then I'm more apt to writing a check

OP
OP
Murdy

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
Murdy’s Advice to @Joe

I don't even buy coffee with cash anymore

The only time I will use cash is when I need some hick to come mow my grass or shave a tree down. And even then I'm more apt to writing a check

I’m a debit card whore. I don’t even mail my kids checks anymore. Zele is linked to our bank. The kids have both had accounts there since they were little.

Also, last I read it’s not safe to pass cash during a pandemic

Reggie_Essent

An Claidheam Anam
I haven't written a check since last year. I do like to keep some cash in my wallet for small transactions, like a hot dog or a candy bar or a few dollar bills to stuff under some stripper's garter.

OP
OP
Murdy

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
When I started dating El Big Sexy, he was flying up to Seattle to visit me every other weekend… when I got back from dropping him off one Sunday night, I went to the room and found a wad of cash on the nightstand, so I texted him “I’m not a hooker!”

he texted back “you know you like it”

TBH ~ I did like it. It was the first time a man ever handed me a few hundred just because.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

About $60 USD

What would you do?

I would threaten to report them as he does not want to be reported. Tell him, I want a receipt and the return of my property, do that and I will agree not to report you. Fail to do that in 72 hours and I will report you causing you lots of problems. My guess is that he will agree that simply giving you a receipt is his least costly option and so go with it.

Snall claims court remains a waste of time. I still have a dead beat who owes me half a year's rent which she was able to pay but decided not to pay even though she was illegally subletting in violation of her lease. I will never see that money and the only option is do I sue her just to fuck her over knowing I will just be sinking good money after bad?

OP
OP
Murdy

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️

About $60 USD

What would you do?

I would threaten to report them as he does not want to be reported. Tell him, I want a receipt and the return of my property, do that and I will agree not to report you. Fail to do that in 72 hours and I will report you causing you lots of problems. My guess is that he will agree that simply giving you a receipt is his least costly option and so go with it.

Snall claims court remains a waste of time. I still have a dead beat who owes me half a year's rent which she was able to pay but decided not to pay even though she was illegally subletting in violation of her lease. I will never see that money and the only option is do I sue her just to fuck her over knowing I will just be sinking good money after bad?

that is blackmail

OP
OP
Murdy

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
I don’t recommend that at all. You’re going to look like a total ass to the court if he damaged that computer and his damages are what I’m suspecting.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

About $60 USD

What would you do?

that is blackmail

But is that illegal? Is it wrong?

I was considering that as an option.

Either contacting Canada's equivalent of the IRS or Family Services.

I know he owes a lot of money to his Ex & his payments to her are monitored by the government here.

I don't want to be that ruthless.

I just want the receipt.

OP
OP
Murdy

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️

About $60 USD

What would you do?

that is blackmail

I know he owes a lot of money to his Ex & his payments to her are monitored by the government here.

I just want the receipt.

My gut instinct here is that he didn’t do the job that he was hired for and you will never get a receipt… I’ve mapped out a clear and concise way for you to get back legally what you are owed. Most people want to cut corners… and that’s why you’re getting this hodgepodge of answers.

OP
OP
Murdy

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
This is MY advice column…. I’ll ask nicely that the people who are asking me advice are not bombarded with answers from unsolicited posters. You are all free to add in your area of expertise like Big did providing software licensing info.

THANKS!

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

About $60 USD

What would you do?

that is blackmail

I just want the receipt.

I ran out with two of my daughters (the little one and the teenager) and we stopped at Starbucks(I know, right? I'm not a Starbucks person, i think it's over priced total shit but eh.....I'm having a thing right now).

So my teen suddenly asked me why my receipt said "cumfrap"

Screenshot-20210920-203603-Messages.jpg

And I dont know. But I dont think I'm going back.
:Disagree2:

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

About $60 USD

What would you do?

that is blackmail

I just want the receipt.

My gut instinct here is that he didn’t do the job that he was hired for and you will never get a receipt… I’ve mapped out a clear and concise way for you to get back legally what you are owed. Most people want to cut corners… and that’s why you’re getting this hodgepodge of answers.

Yeah... he never did entirely what I asked him to do.

and then why he didn't do what I asked, he said I didn't need the things I'd asked for.

ad he went on asome crazy tangent doing things I never asked for, thus I suppose racking up the bill.

To be truthful, I've never seen anyone computer consultant do that.

Every other person/consultant I went to did exactly as I requested.

He also blamed me for consuming all his time, but he performed unecessary work I never requested to begin with.

So he wasted a lot of time that he was charging me for.

also all that garbage he installed on the computer may have slowed it down considerably.

so I've got a bloated computer with redundant work performed on it.

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter

About $60 USD

What would you do?

that is blackmail

I just want the receipt.

and then why he didn't do what I asked, he said I didn't need the things I'd asked for.

ad he went on asome crazy tangent doing things I never asked for, thus I suppose racking up the bill.

He also blamed me for consuming all his time, but he performed unecessary work I never requested to begin with.

also all that garbage he installed on the computer may have slowed it down considerably.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

About $60 USD

What would you do?

that is blackmail

I just want the receipt.

Just one question Bigly - how should a hard disk by format which a person will install Windows 7 on?

and how should a hard disk by format which a person will install Windows 10 on?

The guy seeme dot get confused with the pre-formatting of the disk, and that's why he told me he had to buy this partiion software called AOMEI.

what is the formatting for 64 bit Windows 7? FAT? NFTS?

What is formatting for 64 bit windows 10? MBT?

That's what stalled him.

I guess he just didn't understand the Windows Operating system well enough and how it behaves.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
This is MY advice column…. I’ll ask nicely that the people who are asking me advice are not bombarded with answers from unsolicited posters. You are all free to add in your area of expertise like Big did providing software licensing info.

THANKS!

Thanks for your advice, Murdy.
It was quite helpful.
I'm going to contact my lawyer to see how I can proceed further.

Hopefully I don't need to resort to such extreme measures.

I'll try to talk and negotiate with the guy to achieve a peaceful solution before considering legal action.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

About $60 USD

What would you do?

that is blackmail

I just want the receipt.

Just one question Bigly - how should a hard disk by format which a person will install Windows 7 on?

The guy seeme dot get confused with the pre-formatting of the disk, and that's why he told me he had to buy this partiion software called AOMEI.

That's what stalled him.

I guess he just didn't understand the Windows Operating system well enough and how it behaves.

You're a fukin cheap ass josephine....and you got took like one.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

About $60 USD

What would you do?

that is blackmail

I just want the receipt.

That's what stalled him.

You're a fukin cheap ass josephine....and you got took like one.

No. I paid as much or over what a certified professional would have charged in the end.
The guy was a friend whom I'd know for 7 or 8 years.
An actual White Canadian Trump supporter like yourself.
A supposed devout Christian, he went to Church every Sunday.

so I really thought I could trust the guy.
To be truthful, I don't really care about a person's political leanings.
I try to ignore them and just consider them a friend.

Another one of my firends is also a White Canadian Trump supporter too.
Good guy. I've known him for over 20 years.
His credit rating is like 850 and his word is as good as gold.
Even tho we disagree, trust with this other guy has never been a question.
Maybe I mistaook the other guy for the Honest guy.

Usually I thought must Conservatives were honest.
Or so I thought. My other staunch Conservative friends are/were.

It was an eye opening experience for me.
A sad disappointment too because I thought I could trust him and he is no longer my friend.

Actually I couldn't believe that he did an aobut face like that.

A Jekyll and Hyde Character I guess.
I bit like your Saint Trump I suppose, Lokmeer.

Last edited:

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter

About $60 USD

What would you do?

that is blackmail

I just want the receipt.

That's what stalled him.

You don't use FAT on a windows 7 or 10. ANd you certainly do not need to do any preformatting before the disc goes in the tray. Partitioning and formatting is handled by the install once you hit YES install

NTFS is the file system

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

Joe is in Canada.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

About $60 USD

What would you do?

that is blackmail

I just want the receipt.

That's what stalled him.

You don't use FAT on a windows 7 or 10. ANd you certainly do not need to do any preformatting before the disc goes in the tray. Partitioning and formatting is handled by the install once you hit YES install

NTFS is the file system

Thanks

For both windows 7 and 10 - 64 bit?

So it seems when the guy installed windows on the hard drive, the installer tried to create a couple of partitions for either operating system.

One for the Operating system anda larger parition for the storage partition.

Is that how Windows installs on you PC or computer?

It automatically divides the hard drive up when it installs?

Does it automatically create partitions for you?

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter

About $60 USD

What would you do?

that is blackmail

I just want the receipt.

That's what stalled him.

NTFS is the file system

Thanks

For both windows 7 and 10 - 64 bit?

So it seems when the guy installed windows on the hard drive, the installer tried to create a couple of partitions for either operating system.

One for the Operating system anda larger parition for the storage partition.

Is that how Windows installs on you PC or computer?

It automatically divides the hard drive up when it installs?

Does it automatically create partitions for you?

Yes

• Agree!
Reactions: Joe