Severe affordable housing crisis in the US

Biggie Smiles

I make libturds berry angry. I do!!!
Site Supporter
And meanwhile Biden opens our borders and you shit rat fucks say nothing

Biggie Smiles

I make libturds berry angry. I do!!!
Site Supporter
85% of the street homeless in California are addicts. Fact.

There is an addiction crisis in this country. No one addresses the root causes in this country. We have finger pointing and band-aid interventions.

Our society is falling apart and people think blaming one side rather than addressing the issues on a pragmatic level is the way to go. We're pathetic.
Sez the fat douche still whining about trump over a year later

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
@Joe I do not think you have done the research, or that you understand the complexity of the problem.

Even if land is free, how much does it cost to grade the land, bring in services, and build a house or multi-unit structure?

That cost will determine real estate prices. Real estate prices determine rental costs.

"They come in and jack up the prices." is a little simplistic, even for you @Joe.

Actually I'm all for people owning a nice big home and a cottage/vacation home.

But I'd discourage them from owning 9 homes. Tax them if they own too much.

Anything beyond 1 home and 1 vacation home would be taxed accordingly.

Only exception that should be made for large estates is they'd be required for farming or growing crops as we're runing out of it. I think they have that exemption in my province cuz the arable land is disappearing so they're trying to encourage people to use it for agricultural uses rather than build on it.

Even Tucker Carlson and his guest from the Wall Street Journal seem to agree that something has to be done to discourage hoarding:

Last edited:

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
@Joe I do not think you have done the research, or that you understand the complexity of the problem.

Even if land is free, how much does it cost to grade the land, bring in services, and build a house or multi-unit structure?

That cost will determine real estate prices. Real estate prices determine rental costs.

"They come in and jack up the prices." is a little simplistic, even for you @Joe.

Only exception that should be made for large estates is they'd be required for farming or growing crops as we're runing out of it. I think they have that exemption in my province cuz the arable land is disappearing so they're trying to encourage people to use it for agricultural uses rather than build on it.

Even Tucker Carlson and his guest from the Wall Street Journal seem to agree that something has to be done to discourage hoarding:

Best talk to bernie the loon first, asshat.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard

Best talk to bernie the loon first, asshat.

Tucker is one of you, @Lokmar.

He's a conservative, well off and even he notices there's a problem.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Attempts to discourage land hoarding is practised in other countries:

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard

@Joe

The only thing to fix is the bail out. No bail out, no problem.

@Joe Are the foreign investors using Canadian lenders?

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard

@Joe

I don't know Prowler.

When I did a brief contract assignment at the most successful real estate firm in the city, I just know that all the prime real estate in Vancouver, which is among the most expensive in North America, seemed to be either owned by Chinese or Jews. And many of the top real estate agents at that firm were either Chinese or Jews.

Then I'd see the odd Canadian born White person come into the office, but they were selling not buying. And if they hoped to enter the market at this point, they'd have to take out a huge mortgage to afford a $1,000,000+ for a townhouse.

The most many high salaried professionals born in Canada can afford in Vancouver these days is a 1 or 2BR downtown condo usu financed heavily on debt.

Dove

Domestically feral
Factory Bastard

@Joe

I don't know Prowler.

When I did a brief contract assignment at the most successful real estate firm in the city, I just know that all the prime real estate in Vancouver, which is among the most expensive in North America, seemed to be either owned by Chinese or Jews. And many of the top real estate agents at that firm were either Chinese or Jews.

Then I'd see the odd Canadian born White person come into the office, but they were selling not buying. And if they hoped to enter the market at this point, they'd have to take out a huge mortgage to afford a $1,000,000+ for a townhouse.

The most many high salaried professionals born in Canada can afford in Vancouver these days is a 1 or 2BR downtown condo usu financed heavily on debt.

You should know. That's a big part of the issue.

The people complaining about this are the ones who supported the steps to bringing us here

We also pointed out how forcing property owners to foreclose just causes corps the buy up the properties but it seems most of you guys dont understand the difference between regular ass mom and pop landlords and wealthy corps. So we just got insults spewed at us, had our citations ignored while leftists continued to support the problem they now complain about.

It is what is it.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard

Exactly.

How can a person reach conclusions without knowing the basic facts?

"Tucker Carlson even says it is a problem so that is good enough for me."

Give me a break.

Reggie_Essent

An Claidheam Anam
Factory Bastard
So have we decided that we need ballot drop-off boxes outside of every hobo camp to make sure that every vote gets counted?

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard

Like the economist in that clip said it won't work. Corporations will just raise rent prices and factor the additional cost of the new taxes in to rent prices.

And yet I think that foreigners should be restricted where they can buy in Canada and how much.

Even Mexico has a limitation on where foreigners can purchase real estate.
ie - Miexican citizens have preference for prime real estate such as beach or waterfront properties.

Australia has also imposed restrictions on foreign mainly Chinese buyers.

And China/Taiwan have land hoarding problem in their own countries and their aware of this trait within their own culture.

Cripes, land isn't a commodity like grain or lumber
There's a limited supply of it.

Last edited:

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard

Exactly.

Give me a break.

Excess concentration of land ownership is no more democratic than Big Tech owning the media in the States & closing Conservative/right wing websites like Parler down. It's anti democratic. Essentially, Big Tech has a monopoly on media in the States.

Likewise Pfizer calling all the shots on the FDA as to what COVID medications/vaccines are available to American citizens is anti-competition and limits their freedoms to choose. Essentially, Pfizer is acting like a monopoly to further their own selfish interests as opposed to the public/greater good.

This is why monopolies, whether they are in real estate, Big Pharma or Media are so harmful to the society & why they should be broken up.

Also excess concentration of land ownership creates a monopoly situation similar to Big Tech controlling the Internet and news media.

True capitalism ideally should always encourage more competition, more choices & greater freedoms, not restricting them.

Monopolies are not democratic.

Last edited:

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Excess concentration of land ownership is no more democratic than Big Tech owning the media in the States & closing Conservative/right wing websites like Parler down. It's anti democratic. Essentially, Big Tech has a monopoly on media in the States.

@Joe I have no idea why you are telling me what is more or less "democratic".

And why are you even using the word "democratic" @Joe?

Do you think land ownership should come down to a vote? I am really not sure what you are saying. What definition of "democratic" are you using?

Likewise Pfizer calling all the shots on the FDA as to what COVID medications/vaccines are available to American citizens is anti-competition and limits their freedoms to choose. Essentially, Pfizer is acting like a monopoly to further their own selfish interests as opposed to the public/greater good.

This is why monopolies, whether they are in real estate, Big Pharma or Media are so harmful to the society & why they should be broken up.

And off on a tangent @Joe goes!!

Also excess concentration of land ownership creates a monopoly situation similar to Big Tech controlling the Internet and news media.

True capitalism ideally should always encourage more competition, more choices & greater freedoms, not restricting them.

Monopolies are not democratic.

@Joe What percentage of rental properties are owned by foreigners in Vancouver?

Can you tell me the numbers so I have an idea of the situation?

Or were you hoping to have the kind of conversation you have with people like LettuceBrain and The Leaker where you just say a bunch of vague shit and then pat each other on the back for being such caring people while not bringing a single intelligent, original thought to the table?

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
@Joe What percentage of rental properties are owned by foreigners in Vancouver?

A good % of the West Side of Vancouver is owned by the Chinese now.

You just have to drive through there.

In case you're not aware of the goings on in Vancouver, the local government introduced a Vacant Home tax to discourage empty homes purchased by foreigners, which is more or less an acknowledgement that Vancouver does have a problem with land hoarding, @The Prowler. But of course you wouldn't know that since you don't live here.

this is from the Government Website itself:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

The speculation and vacancy tax is an annual tax based on how owners use residential properties in major urban areas in B.C. Everyone deserves an affordable place to call home, yet house prices and rent have skyrocketed out of reach for too many people. The provincial government is taking action to address this crisis through the annual speculation and vacancy tax, which will contribute towards:
  • Turning empty homes into good housing for people who live and work in B.C
  • Supporting affordable housing initiatives
Find out more about
Translation services are available in most languages.
for help in your language.
Les services de traduction sont disponibles dans la plupart des langues.
pour obtenir de l'aide dans votre langue.
如果你需要翻译服务,请
普通话服务。
如果你需要翻譯服務,請
粵語服務。
ਅਨੁਵਾਦ ਸੇਵਾਵਾਂ ਬਹੁਤ ਭਾਸ਼ਾਵਾਂ ਵਿੱਚ ਉਪਲੱਬਧ ਹਨ। ਆਪਣੀ ਭਾਸ਼ਾ ਵਿੱਚ ਮਦਦ ਲਈ

Ang mga serbisyo sa pagsasalin ng wika ay makukuha sa karamihang wika.
para sa tulong sa inyong wika.

The speculation and vacancy tax is designed to turn empty homes into housing for British Columbians, and ensure foreign owners and those with primarily foreign income contribute fairly to B.C.’s tax system.

Last edited:

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
The local paper where I live claims that the number of Empty homes has dropped significantly over the past year:

...However it could be due to the real estate sharks/hoarders just being more clever about it and getting a relative to live in them. But the land hoarding in our city goes unabated. Same time, it caught the attention of the American New York Times who declared that real estate speculation is a form of money laundering for Asian organized crime and gambling interests.

takes place on a massive scale. According to The New York Times,
was recently transferred out of China over an 18-month period in 2015-16. The vast majority of this money comes from wealthy Chinese individuals who hide their legitimately earned money abroad. What started as a trickle 20 years ago has now turned into a tidal wave of capital outflows, with reports of Chinese middle-class people opening bank accounts in Canada and the United States. The tremendous economic growth that has lifted Chinese household earnings for thirty years can be traced in part to the quantity of money migrating abroad.​

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard

Exactly.

Give me a break.

FYI, Tucker Carlson is considered quite Right Wing by many on the Left as is Fox News @The Prowler. So why in that clip does he go off sounding like Robin Hood?

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
@Joe

re: the housing issue

And...? Do you have any good ideas? Any thoughts of your own? Why do you think the Chinks are buying the real estate but not the established Canadians? Why are people like you not buying more real estate, or developing new real estate? You always look to the government to solve your problems - do you have any good ideas that the citizens could act on?

re: Tucker Carlson

So fuckin' what? I do not give a shit about what Tucker Carlson, or anybody else, is. If they say something interesting, then I might be interested in what they say. That particular clip barely scratched the surface of the issue.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
@Joe

re: the housing issue

And...? Do you have any good ideas? Any thoughts of your own? Why do you think the Chinks are buying the real estate but not the established Canadians? Why are people like you not buying more real estate, or developing new real estate? You always look to the government to solve your problems - do you have any good ideas that the citizens could act on?

...actually @The Prowler, governments of either Liberal or Conservative persuasion have aided and abetted offshore real estate speculation or specutlation in general to the point where it now consitututes most of the Canadian economy.

Factor in overseas fiascoes like the Evergrande debacle in China, and if that or others like go down in China it could have a ripple effect on the world economy since the same interests speculating on real estate in Canada, USA and Europe are those doing the same in China. And of course, all this speculation is financed on debt so the outcome could be not unlike the Japan real estate meltdown or the 2008 financial crisis in the USA.

BTW, much of what I'm saying has already been said by those much more qualified and and erudite than you or I. A Professor Clive Hamilton remarked upo. How China buys up all the land in Canada and Australia driving up real estate prices. Hamilton stated that the same monopolistic tendencies at work in Australia are prevelant in Canada as well. Also Hamilton was about to publish a book on his findings, but the publisher pulled the plug on him when it threatened to expose these interests. I'm sure that @Harry McKnackers or @Omnipotent are more than aware of the activities.

Hamilton is by no means a leftist radical & his findings are built on solid research. That special interests had him muzzled or shut down speaks for itself.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
☠️Private Forum Access
So have we decided that we need ballot drop-off boxes outside of every hobo camp to make sure that every vote gets counted?

I don't know. I was also wondering if we need drop-off boxes outside every Neo-Nazi fenced compound. You know, those compounds where the people don't go anywhere because they have been evading taxes for 20 years and they are sure the earth is about to end so they are staying near their bomb shelters.