Severe affordable housing crisis in the US

Dove

Domestically feral
Factory Bastard
So have we decided that we need ballot drop-off boxes outside of every hobo camp to make sure that every vote gets counted?

I don't know. I was also wondering if we need drop-off boxes outside every Neo-Nazi fenced compound. You know, those compounds where the people don't go anywhere because they have been evading taxes for 20 years and they are sure the earth is about to end so they are staying near their bomb shelters.

Show us those, please lol. I want citations.

And you GOTTA define "neo nazi" lol.

Maybe we could send the feds and ATF to go burn them all?

Reggie_Essent

An Claidheam Anam
Factory Bastard
So have we decided that we need ballot drop-off boxes outside of every hobo camp to make sure that every vote gets counted?

I don't know. I was also wondering if we need drop-off boxes outside every Neo-Nazi fenced compound. You know, those compounds where the people don't go anywhere because they have been evading taxes for 20 years and they are sure the earth is about to end so they are staying near their bomb shelters.

Great idea! Shouldn't voting be easy for everyone or just easy for certain "communities?"

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
I blame the Jews, greedy, shekel-grabbing fucks.

Not saying who's to blame @Aryan but I think the hike in rents & astronomical rise in housing prices is due to greed not actual increases in the real value of homes, real estate or costs incurred by landlords. It's all profit taking and milking the cow & the masses for as much as they can.

What I noticed where I live sometimes the rents would jump by 30% after someone moved out. The governments should have stepped in and outlawed this practice.

That's why the rents are so high because the landlords took advantage of the situation. At least where I live many of them are very greedy.

What the guvs should do is build more housing and then flood the market with rentals or housing at 1/2 the price to drive down the prices & bring them down to where they should be.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I listen to this when I count my money.

Every time I hear any version of this song, the corners of my lips reach my eyes, my eyebrow creases and my nose sinks to my chin.

Last edited:

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
What the guvs should do is build more housing and then flood the market with rentals or housing at 1/2 the price to drive down the prices & bring them down to where they should be.

Well, would you look at that!!!!!!!

@Joe actually had an idea!!!!

@Joe, do you remember this post, @Joe?

@Joe I do not think you have done the research, or that you understand the complexity of the problem.

Even if land is free, how much does it cost to grade the land, bring in services, and build a house or multi-unit structure?

That cost will determine real estate prices. Real estate prices determine rental costs.

"They come in and jack up the prices." is a little simplistic, even for you @Joe.

I asked it a few days ago, @Joe.

Because it is something that needs to be understood if anyone is going to talk intelligently about solutions.

@Joe, can the government affordably "build more housing and then flood the market with rentals or housing at 1/2 the price"?

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
☠️Private Forum Access

Not saying who's to blame @Aryan but I think the hike in rents & astronomical rise in housing prices is due to greed not actual increases in the real value of homes, real estate or costs incurred by landlords. It's all profit taking and milking the cow & the masses for as much as they can.

What I noticed where I live sometimes the rents would jump by 30% after someone moved out. The governments should have stepped in and outlawed this practice.

That's why the rents are so high because the landlords took advantage of the situation. At least where I live many of them are very greedy.

There aren't enough homes being built to accommodate all those that need them. A lot of it in California is elite "liberal" policy where they want their "green spaces" preserved and have restricted housing development and other nimby bullshit.

Where the hell are people supposed to live? If the left of center supports immigration into the country, we need more homes.

There is an elite suburban town in California, Woodside, that declared itself an Mountain Lion sanctuary in order to block the building of "affordable housing"...they are looking out for the property values in their town.

The right wants every fuck to turn into a baby, so there's a population problem too. They elite right wants to protect themselves from the riff raff to protect their property values as well.

There are solutions, no one wants to sacrifice for them though.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard

Well, would you look at that!!!!!!!

@Joe actually had an idea!!!!

@Joe, do you remember this post, @Joe?

@Joe I do not think you have done the research, or that you understand the complexity of the problem.

Even if land is free, how much does it cost to grade the land, bring in services, and build a house or multi-unit structure?

That cost will determine real estate prices. Real estate prices determine rental costs.

"They come in and jack up the prices." is a little simplistic, even for you @Joe.

I asked it a few days ago, @Joe.

Because it is something that needs to be understood if anyone is going to talk intelligently about solutions.

@Joe, can the government affordably "build more housing and then flood the market with rentals or housing at 1/2 the price"?

Yknow Prowler if the home prices were 1/2 of what would happen is there would be more buyers in the market. And because the number buyers would increase the the revenue to govt coffers would be the same or more.

equilibrium-price.png

Of course the real estate industry wouldn't like it cuz they wouldn't be able to line their pockets like they are now.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
@Joe If you do not know the numbers, then you cannot have a meaningful discussion.

@Joe You still do not know the numbers.

Whatever.

But these runaway housing prices & rents are destroying our communities the world over @The Prowler. Even my local newspaper which is pro real estate interests remarked on how it's destroying our sense of community & inclusiveNess in Vancouver. Land & rent is so expensive here that very few young families can afford to live in the city anymore.

What that's creating is an unsustainable social fabric where only old people can afford it. Yknow there are more pets cats & dogs than children in my city now. Yes domestic workers barristas & Tim Hortons/ MacDonalds need affordable housing too. Otherwise who's gonna be around to do the work?!

What @LotusBud said is true. The current economic model of housing is unsustainable. It needs a major overhaul to make it affordable again.

When the Sheikh of the UAE, a ruler for life treats his own citizens better than we treat ours in the West by ensuring that all his have affordable housing, then you know something is wrong.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard

There aren't enough homes being built to accommodate all those that need them. A lot of it in California is elite "liberal" policy where they want their "green spaces" preserved and have restricted housing development and other nimby bullshit.

Where the hell are people supposed to live? If the left of center supports immigration into the country, we need more homes.

There is an elite suburban town in California, Woodside, that declared itself an Mountain Lion sanctuary in order to block the building of "affordable housing"...they are looking out for the property values in their town.

The right wants every fuck to turn into a baby, so there's a population problem too. They elite right wants to protect themselves from the riff raff to protect their property values as well.

There are solutions, no one wants to sacrifice for them though.

Our former Mayor was like that.

He presented himself as a 'Progressive' & pushed green technology & bike paths down our throats. Destroyed all of the railway tracks so economicAL Light rail could never be developed in Vancouver. Similar to the story about who killed the streetcar in Los Angeles.

The guy is sleaze bag & a crook. He should be thrown in prison for corruption. There was this major controversy recently where his new wife, a Korean American from Portland was ridiculed for her ethnicity.

Truth is a of those attacks on her were indirectly meant for him. A lotta people here are still pissed off at him. He was in bed with dirty Asian laundered money.

All the money he spent to lavish on the rich neighborhoods could have been used to eliminate homelessness & introduce light rail here.

Anyways those kinda people you refer to aren't really liberals who care about the greater good. Theyre neoliberals whose counterparts on the Right could be classified as 'neoconservative'. Neoconservative/Neoliberal all money whores & hose bags one & the same.

Last edited:

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Or were you hoping to have the kind of conversation you have with people like LettuceBrain and The Leaker where you just say a bunch of vague shit and then pat each other on the back for being such caring people while not bringing a single intelligent, original thought to the table?

And we are back to this.

At least you tried for a few seconds, @Joe.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Or were you hoping to have the kind of conversation you have with people like LettuceBrain and The Leaker where you just say a bunch of vague shit and then pat each other on the back for being such caring people while not bringing a single intelligent, original thought to the table?

And we are back to this.

At least you tried for a few seconds, @Joe.

Well what do you propose to address the lack of affordable housing in places like Vancouver @The Prowler?

Last edited:
OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
☠️Private Forum Access
@Joe If you do not know the numbers, then you cannot have a meaningful discussion.

Whatever.

But these runaway housing prices & rents are destroying our communities the world over @The Prowler. Even my local newspaper which is pro real estate interests remarked on how it's destroying our sense of community & inclusiveNess in Vancouver. Land & rent is so expensive here that very few young families can afford to live in the city anymore.

What that's creating is an unsustainable social fabric where only old people can afford it. Yknow there are more pets cats & dogs than children in my city now. Yes domestic workers barristas & Tim Hortons/ MacDonalds need affordable housing too. Otherwise who's gonna be around to do the work?!

What @LotusBud said is true. The current economic model of housing is unsustainable. It needs a major overhaul to make it affordable again.

When the Sheikh of the UAE, a ruler for life treats his own citizens better than we treat ours in the West by ensuring that all his have affordable housing, then you know something is wrong.

Yes, housing prices prevent young families from moving in, AND it makes it impossible for people to work near where they live, and so it even impacts employers as well as wrokers.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard

Whatever.

Yes, housing prices prevent young families from moving in, AND it makes it impossible for people to work near where they live, and so it even impacts employers as well as wrokers.

It's just cruel & a form of modern day feudalism.

That's why governments round the world should intervene & take away or at least limit the holdings of the land hoarders.

It may take another economic depression & a revolt by the masses to introduce another New Deal to address these inequalities.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Well what do you propose to address the lack of affordable housing in places l8ke Vancouver @The Prowler?

Consideration 1: What is the cost to build?

@Joe To start, it is important to understand the numbers.

Here is some land:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

$2.9 mil

Zoned to build 160 condos, plus 30 townhouses.

What would condos and townhouses sell for there? Say $500K each. So $95 million in sales.

Now we have to go back to what I asked earlier:

Do you know these numbers @Joe?

If not, the discussion ends here.

Consideration 2: How much further can the city expand?

I have no idea where the Vancouver city limits are. It is my understanding that a city can only build up to the land it owns.

This will help determine whether building out is even an option. If it is not an option, then the only option is building up.

Consideration 3: Are there other options to increase housing capacity?

The city bylaws may prevent and limit options like boarding houses. Are there homeowners who would open up parts of their homes as rental units if some restrictions were removed? Are there ways that the City could incentivize people to do this?

Consideration 4: Should the government be involved?

If the government is going to be involved, then the first step is for the City to recognize the problem. It sounds like that has happened. They need to ensure they are enforcing the "empty house" tax. I think they could increase that tax to make it infeasible to own a house that stays empty; they would have to give these investors proper notice so they would have time to sell the properties or start to rent them out.

Consideration 5 and on: Details details details...

There is obviously a lot of stuff to consider. While this is not my area of expertise, I found the articles and televisions segments that were posted in this thread to be fuckin' brain numbingly basic. They identify the problem, they identify some contributing factors to the problem, but they offer no solutions; not even spitballing some ideas.

I expect threads to be full discussions. Just posting a newspaper article and having everyone say "Wow, that is so awful." is pointless. People like LettuceBrain and The Leaker do not seem to be capable of adding some original thought. You might be in the same boat, @Joe. But at least try. At least spitball some ideas.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard

Yeah, this is understood. How many times are you going to state obvious facts?

That's why governments round the world should intervene & take away or at least limit the holdings of the land hoarders.

"take away"

That is too much governmental power, @Joe. That kind of reckless thinking is what makes a large percentage of people just write you off as a communist retard.

"at least limit the holdings of the land hoarders"

Manipulating the market is obviously a problem. But if these "land hoarders" are actually renting out the properties, then what is the difference if there are 10 of them with an average of 1000 rental units each, or 1000 of them with an average of 10 rental units each? It is still 10,000 rental units.

As long as there is healthy competition, I do not know what would be gained by limiting holdings.

It may take another economic depression & a revolt by the masses to introduce another New Deal to address these inequalities.

As I have tried to communicate, I do not think you have a strong enough understanding of the situation to reach any conclusions. You need to know the numbers.

I know the numbers where I live. Rental rates are fair, given the cost of townhouses and apartment buildings. The cost of townhouses and apartment buildings are fair given the cost to build new townhouses and apartment buildings.

You cannot expect investors to buy properties and not make a fair profit. I have looked into owning rental properties and the profit has never been attractive enough for me. But that is around my area of the country. Your area might be different. @Joe that is where I thought you might be able to share some insight since you actually live there.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Well what do you propose to address the lack of affordable housing in places l8ke Vancouver @The Prowler?

Consideration 1: What is the cost to build?

@Joe To start, it is important to understand the numbers.

Here is some land:
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

$2.9 mil

Zoned to build 160 condos, plus 30 townhouses.

What would condos and townhouses sell for there? Say $500K each. So $95 million in sales.

Now we have to go back to what I asked earlier:

Do you know these numbers @Joe?

If not, the discussion ends here.

Consideration 2: How much further can the city expand?

I have no idea where the Vancouver city limits are. It is my understanding that a city can only build up to the land it owns.

This will help determine whether building out is even an option. If it is not an option, then the only option is building up.

Consideration 3: Are there other options to increase housing capacity?

The city bylaws may prevent and limit options like boarding houses. Are there homeowners who would open up parts of their homes as rental units if some restrictions were removed? Are there ways that the City could incentivize people to do this?

Consideration 4: Should the government be involved?

If the government is going to be involved, then the first step is for the City to recognize the problem. It sounds like that has happened. They need to ensure they are enforcing the "empty house" tax. I think they could increase that tax to make it infeasible to own a house that stays empty; they would have to give these investors proper notice so they would have time to sell the properties or start to rent them out.

Consideration 5 and on: Details details details...

There is obviously a lot of stuff to consider. While this is not my area of expertise, I found the articles and televisions segments that were posted in this thread to be fuckin' brain numbingly basic. They identify the problem, they identify some contributing factors to the problem, but they offer no solutions; not even spitballing some ideas.

I expect threads to be full discussions. Just posting a newspaper article and having everyone say "Wow, that is so awful." is pointless. People like LettuceBrain and The Leaker do not seem to be capable of adding some original thought. You might be in the same boat, @Joe. But at least try. At least spitball some ideas.

Interesting you should mention a $2.9 million figure @The Prowler.

That's actually peanuts compared with all the money lavished upon the the rich neighborhoods in Vancouver to keep the poor & middle class out of them. Our previous Mayor spent at least $100 million on useless beatification projects for wealthy neighborhoods here. Then the city will spend $4 billion on a subway skytrain extension to run along Broadway Street here. Making it the most expensive subway line cost per mile in the world. A project that the most people voted here against but was pushed by the mayor and ended up getting approved anyways.

Plus for a fraction of the cost we coulda had light rail hooking into the subways and servicing the entire city by now. It was highly successful & well received at the Olympics but the Powers that be tore all the train tracks out.

Just goes ta show we don't really have a democracy in Vancouver and the system is ruled by big money oligarchs. I hope your city is less corrupt and better run than ours @The Prowler.

Yeah the money is definitely there & it could be used to improve housing problem in our city but the will of our elites is not. They just wanna line their pockets like pigs at a trough

Trust me. The money is available in my city to improve the housing situation but the vision isn't.

Last edited:

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
@Joe that was a disappointing response.

I can see you just want to piss and moan about how horrible things are in your city. Pissing and moaning is easy. It is lazy. To get things done, people first need to put in mental effort to figure out solutions.

If you have a corrupt local government, that is a separate issue, @Joe.

It sounds like the people of Vancouver are willing to sit around and do nothing but piss and moan while their city is being overrun by Chinks and a corrupt government.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
@Joe that was a disappointing response.

I can see you just want to piss and moan about how horrible things are in your city. Pissing and moaning is easy. It is lazy. To get things done, people first need to put in mental effort to figure out solutions.

If you have a corrupt local government, that is a separate issue, @Joe.

It sounds like the people of Vancouver are willing to sit around and do nothing but piss and moan while their city is being overrun by Chinks and a corrupt government.

No. Corrupt governments & a lack of affordable housing isn't a separate issue @The Prowler. Cuz when the real estate industry and governments collude we get unaffordable housing.

Also the transportation authority in my city, Translink, is a bloated organization whose size and influence cannot be ignored or justified. There is no equivalent organization like it anywhere in North America. Since when is a transportation authority involved in real estate speculation and land development? That should be a separate ministry or dept. The transportion authority should be broken up because all it does is reinforce the power of the elites to line their pockets.

Ie this new $4 billion 4 mile subway line in Vancouver created in large part to spur real estate development along Broadway Street not to improve the city.

We have the worst skid row area in Canada. And a billion or 2 being spent on that new subway line coulda cleaned up along with building new affordable housing in the city.

Adam Hitler

110/14/88
Factory Bastard

Every time I hear any version of this song, the corners of my lips reach my eyes, my eyebrow creases and my nose sinks to my chin.

Are you Jewish @Lokmar?

I am today josephine! :Happy5:

Shalom Rabbi Lokmehr! I do wonder sometimes if that surgeon son in law of yours is a Jew, meaning that your grandkids are half Jewish...

tenor.gif

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Corrupt governments & a lack of affordable housing

This is why you are so confused, @Joe.

You do not understand problem solving, @Joe.

You do not seem have the ability to separate issues.

You can have housing issues, and have a non-corrupt government.

You can have housing issues, and have a corrupt government.

You can be without housing issues, and have a corrupt government.

You can be without housing issues, and have a non-corrupt government.

They are separate issues.

Do some issues affect other issues? Of course.

A corrupt government is something that has to be fixed before working on anything that depends on a non-corrupt government.

Why even talk about fixing anything that depends on a non-corrupt government, while you have a corrupt government?

Hahahaha!!!

Cookie Monster

One of the cool Kids.
☠️Private Forum Access

Whatever.

Yea OK genius now you may understand the need to get a serious grip on mass immigration.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Corrupt governments & a lack of affordable housing

This is why you are so confused, @Joe.

You do not understand problem solving, @Joe.

You do not seem have the ability to separate issues.

You can have housing issues, and have a non-corrupt government.

You can have housing issues, and have a corrupt government.

You can be without housing issues, and have a corrupt government.

You can be without housing issues, and have a non-corrupt government.

They are separate issues.

Do some issues affect other issues? Of course.

A corrupt government is something that has to be fixed before working on anything that depends on a non-corrupt government.

Why even talk about fixing anything that depends on a non-corrupt government, while you have a corrupt government?

Hahahaha!!!

There is a lot of corruption & dirty money being laundered the West Coast @The Prowler. I'd wager much more proprtionally than where you live. That's why people come from other parts of Canada they can't believe some the shenanigans and goings on here

Remember the Vancouver Stock Exchange? It got closed down in large part because of excessive corruption & massive insider trading. Not exactly respectable like the TSE eh.

But that's the way things are done round here.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Are you Jewish @Lokmar?

I am today josephine! :Happy5:

Shalom Rabbi Lokmehr! I do wonder sometimes if that surgeon son in law of yours is a Jew, meaning that your grandkids are half Jewish...

tenor.gif

Awwwww, they have the cutest little hook noses, even at that tender age! :Jammin: I had custom made rattles made for them with silver and gold coins attached!!!!!