The food thread...

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
5050 has got culinary game! Damn...

Thanks, just like anything in life, best to learn and do it yourself rather than pay someone x10 the cost to do it nearly how you want it...

I might pick your brain on the smoking aspects one day... my uncles are a bit tight lipped about their converted old fridge/smoke stack contraptions and even more secretive about their ingredients for salmon.

Soy, sugars, salts, Coca Cola, and all sorts of bizarre stuff... and they won't blurb with each other or the extended family...

It's like the Highlander of smoking comps. There can be ONLY one... lulz

OP
OP
Mr. 5050

Mr. 5050

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Thanks, just like anything in life, best to learn and do it yourself rather than pay someone x10 the cost to do it nearly how you want it...

I might pick your brain on the smoking aspects one day... my uncles are a bit tight lipped about their converted old fridge/smoke stack contraptions and even more secretive about their ingredients for salmon.

Soy, sugars, salts, Coca Cola, and all sorts of bizarre stuff... and they won't blurb with each other or the extended family...

I know people like that... I don't get the secrecy aspect of it, unless they're into competitons... lol

Tbh, using coal as a base for your fire gives a steady heat and your choice of wood is important but you can rarely go wrong with cherry or mesquite... So long as the food is of good quality, it will speak for itself... Seasoning etc and homemade bbq sauce is great for ribs... Coffee/brown sugar based rubs for brisket...

Internal thermometers are a must... General rules like the meat falling apart seems to be around 203-205°f... 201 for ribs to get that little tug before it comes off the bone...

Wrapping at 165 is common too and speeds things up... Leaving to rest for 1-3hrs while wrapped in towels is another must... Stick to the basic rules, play with flavours or different brands of the same ingredients and feel your way to get what you want...

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
I usually catch my fish or grab it whole on ice from the seafood shop, but the local supermarket has been packaging it like this in vacuum packs. It’s actually bloody good, bone-free and easy to prepare. A shortcut, but a goodie...

07FsnjM.jpg

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

I know people like that... I don't get the secrecy aspect of it, unless they're into competitons... lol

Tbh, using coal as a base for your fire gives a steady heat and your choice of wood is important but you can rarely go wrong with cherry or mesquite... So long as the food is of good quality, it will speak for itself... Seasoning etc and homemade bbq sauce is great for ribs... Coffee/brown sugar based rubs for brisket...

Internal thermometers are a must... General rules like the meat falling apart seems to be around 203-205°f... 201 for ribs to get that little tug before it comes off the bone...

Wrapping at 165 is common too and speeds things up... Leaving to rest for 1-3hrs while wrapped in towels is another must... Stick to the basic rules, play with flavours or different brands of the same ingredients and feel your way to get what you want...

I know they were heavy into cherry, apple, and maple... they'd have shit slinging exchanges over the banquet tables at large family get togethers about who's stuff was better, then out came the paper bags of product and we'd all have to sample each without picking a favourite, lest we injure an ego or three... lulz.

It was all fantastic though.... some salmon was almost like candy and some was like a savoury treat... with plenty of variables in between.

They'd spend 2-3 days on a single batch just feeding the base of those old gutted fridges with wood in set intervals....

It was like a fist fight with no punches flying...

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Are these meals you've cooked yourself or are they just Google images?

I cooked it all myself...

The last few years have been a sharp learning curve...

Nice, the cooking and prepping side of meal making has never interested me like it does with some people, I'm more bothered about eating it ha.

I was sick of supermarket crap and takeaway food left me feeling ill... Idk what they put in that shite these days but I felt like I'd been on a 3 day bender the next day...

I started by learning some basics then a new trick or two and it eventually snowballed...

Do you home cook every meal from scratch? I know what you mean about takeaways, I dread to think what's in the burgers etc.

You should check these cooking channels out for some ideas, I watch them pretty regularly....

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Sam the Cooking Guy is based out of San Diego plus he owns the Little Italy Food Hall down in Little Italy. Supposedly they opened a new burger and hotdogs place some where in town too.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Delicious ARABIC food you dare show here (:
sprinkled with some Iraqi Sumac :FuckYEAH:

I lived in Iraq for a year during the war and that honestly looks more Turkish or Iranian than Iraqi. Also sumac is used throughout the mideast. Personally, around where I live we have a lot of Lebanese Christians and well as Iraqi Assyrians/Chaldeans and the food is very similar to the rest of the mideast but benefits from the added use of things like pork and alcohol which the Muslims don't traditionally use. It's basically a step above the usual Arab food.

The picture appears to be koobeddeh kabob and chicken kabob. I am not sure what is on the far left of the plate.

Last edited:

X

xXx
Site Supporter

I lived in Iraq for a year during the war and that honestly looks more Turkish or Iranian than Iraqi. Also sumac is used throughout the mideast. Personally, around where I live we have a lot of Lebanese Christians and well as Iraqi Assyrians/Chaldeans and the food is very similar to the rest of the mideast but benefits from the added use of things like pork and alcohol which the Muslims don't traditionally use. It's basically a step above the usual Arab food.

The picture appears to be koobeddeh kabob and chicken kabob. I am not sure what is on the far left of the plate.

Sumac varies from region to region, IMO of course. Iraqi is the most flavorful if you really like Sumac sprinkled on your BBQ

OP
OP
Mr. 5050

Mr. 5050

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

You are spot on... This is Turkish style kofte and chicken shish... On the far left is grilled green chilli peppers... They buy them by the box load and some are hot, others not... These are the hot ones... Darker green iirc...

Reactions: X

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I can’t eat meat today *pouts*

Eat fish. As X was talking about Iraqi food maybe there is an Iraqi place near where you live which makes masgouf. It is an Iraqi fish dish smoked/cooked over an open fire. Usually they butterfly the fish and run it with butter and spices.

The origin of the dish goes back to ancient Sumer and Akkad.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️

Eat fish. As X was talking about Iraqi food maybe there is an Iraqi place near where you live which makes masgouf. It is an Iraqi fish dish smoked/cooked over an open fire. Usually they butterfly the fish and run it with butter and spices.

I’ve been eating fish since Ash Wednesday... I’m burnt out lol

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I know down in Tijuana they sell sea turtle soup this time of year because of meatless fridays. The government discourages it as sea turtles are supposed to be protected but its still in all the major markets.

Even though it is a reptile and not a fish the locals since it came from the sea it is good for lent.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️

I know down in Tijuana they sell sea turtle soup this time of year because of meatless fridays. The government discourages it as sea turtles are supposed to be protected but its still in all the major markets.

Even though it is a reptile and not a fish the locals since it came from the sea it is good for lent.

I can’t eat turtle. I can barely eat chicken and beef lol

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Ok. Hmm, maybe seafood but not fish as you are tired of fish. An octopus tostada? Shrimp is always popular as is crab.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️

Ok. Hmm, maybe seafood but not fish as you are tired of fish. An octopus tostada?

I don’t like the texture or octopus. Even if it’s in ceviche.... maybe calamari with lemon and marinara

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
They sell it in every grocery store. It is one of those food items which goes way back and probably once was sold out of wax sealed pots but these days it is canned food. It is basically a canned meat spread and you can get several different types (beef, chicken, pork, etc...). I think I've had it about a half dozen times in the last 30 years.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
They sell it in every grocery store. It is one of those food items which goes way back and probably once was sold out of wax sealed pots but these days it is canned food. It is basically a canned meat spread and you can get several different types (beef, chicken, pork, etc...). I think I've had it about a half dozen times in the last 30 years.

Is it like liverwurst? That stuff is disgusting

I dont know that I could do meat from a can. I'd have to be trying to stay alive to go there lol

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Ok. Hmm, maybe seafood but not fish as you are tired of fish. An octopus tostada? Shrimp is always popular as is crab.

I could easily exist on seafood only. Yes, clams, prawns, abalone lobster, mussels, crab, scollops, calamarI, and fish. It would be heaven. An octopus tostada sounds as good as a dorado taquito. A cold beer naturally.

Adam Hitler

110/14/88
Site Supporter

Nice, the cooking and prepping side of meal making has never interested me like it does with some people, I'm more bothered about eating it ha.

I was sick of supermarket crap and takeaway food left me feeling ill... Idk what they put in that shite these days but I felt like I'd been on a 3 day bender the next day...

I started by learning some basics then a new trick or two and it eventually snowballed...

Do you home cook every meal from scratch? I know what you mean about takeaways, I dread to think what's in the burgers etc.

You should check these cooking channels out for some ideas, I watch them pretty regularly....

Sam the Cooking Guy is based out of San Diego plus he owns the Little Italy Food Hall down in Little Italy. Supposedly they opened a new burger and hotdogs place some where in town too.

The guy's a K1ke, but I've given him a pass because his cooking vids are pretty entertaining.

The way he over-empthasises 'kosher' salt in every video has started to grind my gears though...

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️

The guy's a K1ke, but I've given him a pass because his cooking vids are pretty entertaining.

The way he over-empthasises 'kosher' salt in every video has started to grind my gears though...

pink Himalayan salt is better for you and has minerals... but before you could find it easily, I did prefer the sea salt which is always kosher when I’m from

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Come on amigo. Word on the streets are, your dating a hot Israeli.

OP
OP
Mr. 5050

Mr. 5050

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Greek food is a really bad Turkish food LOL

But Mousakka... :Gimme: Yet another favourite of mine... It's like Mediterranean shepherd's pie and gorgeous with loads of black pepper...