Mexican food thread

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Ask about dishes, post recipes and/or just talk about a meal you really enjoyed. I hope we can get beyond tacos and burritos.

Rule #1: Burritos are not WRAPS, ok?

Rule #2: See rule #1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tomorrow is Independence Day or Fiestas Patrias celebration in Mexico.

Traditional dish is Chiles en Nogada. Mexico's #1 cocktail is a Paloma.

I will provide recipe(s) for each.

Chiles en Nogada:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Paloma cocktail:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Easy "American" style tacos (Americanized...like Taco Bell)

ingredients:

taco seasoning (I buy it at Costco since we make them a couple times a month}
ground beef (I use no lower than 80/20 meat to fat ratio or they are too greasy)
onion (white or yellow)
minced garlic
cumin (ground)
salt
cayenne pepper if you can handle spiciness
corn tortilla (yellow or white depending on what's available and your taste)
oil (I use canola)

shredded lettuce, diced tomato, shredded cheese - salsa, maybe even sour cream

I cook without measuring much, I usually eyeball it. It was the way my mom cooked for the most part.

I would say about a lb of beef would require about 1/2 large onion (diced)

I start by dicing onion...then I heat a skillet at medium-high, maybe 10" for this amount of meat. Add about a tablespoon of oil.

As it starts to heat, test skillet by dropping a piece of diced onion. If hot, it will sizzle. Add the onion.

After about one minute, add the ground beef and immediately start to break up chunks into more uniform smaller pieces. As it starts browning, maybe 3-4 minutes, add the spices

eyeballing it, I would say start with 1 tablespoon taco seasoning, 1-2 tsps minced garlic, 1/2 - 1 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp salt

Stir to incorporate spices into meat with onions

Let these ingredients cook another few minutes 5-7 on medium heat.

As for corn tortillas, you can buy shells or make them yourself...I make them, often before I start cooking the meat filling.

Heat oil (about an inch deep) in another skillet

Take tortilla and put it in flat...let it start to crisp and then use a fork and a pair of tongs to fold over tortilla in half. Then create a space 1-2 inches with utensils to let tortilla fry into taco shape.

Each tortilla should take about 3 minutes to cook...put them on a platter, cookie sheet, etc...I put them in a warm oven so they stay warm while I prep everything else.

Assemble your tacos...meat first, then layer ingredients to your liking

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Cafe de Olla

coffee, cinnamon and Mexican raw sugar (sold in Mexican markets called "piloncillo")

delicious, especially comforting on a chilly morning

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Run For The Border it's their slogan..

US commercials even.. wth is going on?

What about the Meximelt surly its loosely contrived from a ancient Mexi recipe

I don't understand where you're going with this, not really. If you don't like actual Mexican food, well, okay. Whatever...

realgrimm

ፕልክፏቹክፕ ነየርጎልረጎነፕ
Global Moderator
I don't understand where you're going with this, not really. If you don't like actual Mexican food, well, okay. Whatever...
We don't have this cuisine here or any pockets of our society, like Chinatown,Little Italy..etc, I'm neither here nor there on it since I'm not a vegtable fan and that seems a common supplement in most recipes as Taco Bell will build mexi recipes to cater to all.. I make my own versions of Taco Bells recipes cuz it's better.. nvm.. was speaking in reference

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
We don't have this cuisine here or any pockets of our society, like Chinatown,Little Italy..etc, I'm neither here nor there on it since I'm not a vegtable fan and that seems a common supplement in most recipes as Taco Bell will build mexi recipes to cater to all.. I make my own versions of Taco Bells recipes cuz it's better.. nvm.. was speaking in reference

I don't believe the recipes I've posted here lean vegetarian or heavily influenced by vegetables. If you don't like onions, leave them out of the taco meat recipe. Easy as that.

cw_

> you
Site Supporter ☠️
Onions are great and I like them very very much.
Also, living within walking distance of a family owned Mexican restaurant makes life worth living. Maybe RG has never had a good Mexican meal?

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Onions are great and I like them very very much.
Also, living within walking distance of a family owned Mexican restaurant makes life worth living. Maybe RG has never had a good Mexican meal?

You're right, could be what the situation is in his case. Maybe he's in central or Eastern Canada. Though I will be the first to admit that I know almost nothing about Canada beyond basic knowledge most Americans have; which isn't much. :(

realgrimm

ፕልክፏቹክፕ ነየርጎልረጎነፕ
Global Moderator
They call this one The Lazy Mexican..

MEP7UYF_o.jpg

• ROFL
Reactions: cw_
OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
"Spanish" Rice, Tex-Mex style

ingredients:

long grain rice
onion
garlic
cumin
green bell pepper to taste, about 1/8th or so of a large pepper
tomato sauce
chicken broth or water for veggie version
salt
vegetable oil

Heat about 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a pan, 2 inch deep

cook at medium high temp

add rice (about 2 cups will have at least 6-8 servings) toast the rice until light brown
add (previously diced) onion about 1/3 cup, bell pepper and stir for about 1 min
add 1-2 minced garlic cloves, 1/4 tsp ground cumin - cook another 30 seconds or so
add tomato sauce about 1/4 to 1/3 cup and stir as well for about another minute
then add chicken broth or water about 3 cups, bring to a boil

once it comes to a boil, decrease heat to low heat, cover and cook for about 20 minutes

turn off heat and serve

Last edited:

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
I’ve only had it a few times at weddings and the goat was killed that day.

Teddy’s Red Tacos in Venice only does beef. Their consume is BOMB.COM :Happy5:

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I shouldn't have opened this thread. This is torture. Mexican food is what I miss most about California. I don't like to cook that much, and the ingredients in Mexican food are sometimes difficult to get here, so I only actually have Mexican food when I go to New York or Spain, which is very weird.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I shouldn't have opened this thread. This is torture. Mexican food is what I miss most about California. I don't like to cook that much, and the ingredients in Mexican food are sometimes difficult to get here, so I only actually have Mexican food when I go to New York or Spain, which is very weird.

I sometimes still think about moving, but I too still struggle with what I'll leave behind. The cultures, the food and the richness of experience.

I don't know how it is to be fully immersed in a single cultural experience. Would I come to feel over exposed?

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I sometimes still think about moving, but I too still struggle with what I'll leave behind. The cultures, the food and the richness of experience.

I don't know how it is to be fully immersed in a single cultural experience. Would I come to feel over exposed?
Well, I don't know. Portugal is definitely not a single cultural experience, and what's here is incredibly rich. There are a lot of things I miss about the US, but there are more things that I love about Portugal. But it definitely takes a certain kind of person to be willing to make that exchange. I only know one person here who wants to go back to the US. Her husband wants to stay here, though.

The food here is not one of the highlights, though. Unless you love wild boar, salted cod, and goat. If you're into meat, though, the butcher shops and mercados are amazing.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Well, I don't know. Portugal is definitely not a single cultural experience, and what's here is incredibly rich. There are a lot of things I miss about the US, but there are more things that I love about Portugal. But it definitely takes a certain kind of person to be willing to make that exchange. I only know one person here who wants to go back to the US. Her husband wants to stay here, though.

The food here is not one of the highlights, though. Unless you love wild boar, salted cod, and goat. If you're into meat, though, the butcher shops and mercados are amazing.

I wasn't necessarily referring to Portugal. It seems to be a wonderful place to live.

I was thinking in generalities...even moving to another state...it seems it would be most attractive to live in a place that is culturally diverse. Washington, for example...then it begs the question, imo.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Flour tortilla recipe:

3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher/sea salt (or about 3/4 tsp table salt)
1/3 cup or 6 tablespoons softened butter (or fat of your choice)
about 1 1/2 cups hotish water (hot to touch, but bearable to work with)

make in medium to largish bowl
add flour, salt and baking powder and mix
add butter and breaking it down, integrating fat into flour mix
add warm water until you have made a big ball of dough that's fairly smooth after kneading for a few minutes

now break it down into ball sized portions (maybe a little larger than a golf ball)
roll into the perfect ball
set aside in the bowl for about 15 or so minutes

Then roll them out and put them on a hot flat grill, cook on both sides until done...color should be whitish with brown cooking spots, not yellow...if they look yellowish, they're not well cooked.

Last edited:

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I love Mexican food as much as anyone. Funny, many Ticos do not. They dislike anything hot or spicy.