Well, homesteading is definitely a thing of the past

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
CANTERBURY, N.H. (AP) — For almost three decades, 81-year-old David Lidstone has lived in the woods of New Hampshire along the Merrimack River in a small cabin adorned with solar panels. He has grown his own food, cut his own firewood, and tended to his cat and chickens.

But his off-the-grid existence appears to be at risk.

“River Dave," as he's known by boaters and kayakers, is behind bars after being accused of squatting for 27 years on private property in Canterbury. As the owner of the land seeks to tear down the cabin, Lidstone has been jailed since July 15 on a civil contempt sanction.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

He's 81 and he's in jail. The USA sucks.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I wonder how much the owner's life would be affected if they just let the guy stay till he dies.

Why didnt he make sure he owned the land he was on though?

And fyi I agree with you. If I owned that land I'd just let this guy alone and not fuss about it.

The problem is precedent. We cant just let people squat legally. It's easy to look at this case and agree this is terrible. It's an 81 year old man who has been there forever. This sucks....indeed.

But what about the door that opens when we legally validate letting whoever just squat?

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Also I dont see how this means homesteading is a thing of the past. This is about property rights....not homesteading itself

And I know homesteaders are very invested in protecting property rights and they tend to lean VERY conservative.

Homesteading is awesome but you gotta own the land you homestead on. Otherwise you are stealing.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Also I dont see how this means homesteading is a thing of the past. This is about property rights....not homesteading itself

And I know homesteaders are very invested in protecting property rights and they tend to lean VERY conservative.

Homesteading is awesome but you gotta own the land you homestead on. Otherwise you are stealing.

Alright, alright. Maybe not homesteading, though the legal definitions are more complicated than you let on. But squatting also used to be legal, and people sometimes had the right to take possession of places where they squatted. Once upon a time in NYC. And I know people in Europe who now own places where they squatted.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

Alright, alright. Maybe not homesteading, though the legal definitions are more complicated than you let on. But squatting also used to be legal, and people sometimes had the right to take possession of places where they squatted. Once upon a time in NYC. And I know people in Europe who now own places where they squatted.

Yep that's true. I think this particular case is complicated and I think it's awful this old man is in jail. Its unjust- I agree with you on that.

What concerns me is how squatting rights clash with property rights in a lot of other cases where you have people breaking into homes while other are either not moved in yet or on vacation and they get squatter rights. That's insane to me.

I know we had a squatter in someone's mobile home in this campground we are living in......and it took nearly a year to get this lady out. She completely trashed it. So the people who own it are just left with this huge mess and damage and for almost a year didnt even have access to this place.

Sometimes it seems like laws are there only to help and protect shit people in their endeavors to fuck over other people.

It's not right this man is in jail. He should have made sure he was protected on that land.....but jailing him is barbaric. There are better ways for this to be settled for sure.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Get the fuck off my property, stay out of jail. Simple, really.

I'm shocked that you, of all people, think that way.
Hey cunt, I've thought about visiting Portugal. Make sure you move all your shit out of my way cause I'll be spending a week on YOUR property. No fukin lip either or I'm gonna pay a local bum to rape you AND beta.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Thinking about this further, I can see why someone would cap this squatter bum right behind the ear!

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Thinking about this further, I can see why someone would cap this squatter bum right behind the ear!

At his age....as long as he was there? I lean on the side of mercy.

He really wasnt bothering anyone.....just existing on land he failed to make sure he owned.

Its unfortunate because property rights are important. But this is just sad.

Biggie Smiles

I make libturds berry angry. I do!!!
Site Supporter
CANTERBURY, N.H. (AP) — For almost three decades, 81-year-old David Lidstone has lived in the woods of New Hampshire along the Merrimack River in a small cabin adorned with solar panels. He has grown his own food, cut his own firewood, and tended to his cat and chickens.

“River Dave," as he's known by boaters and kayakers, is behind bars after being accused of squatting for 27 years on private property in Canterbury. As the owner of the land seeks to tear down the cabin, Lidstone has been jailed since July 15 on a civil contempt sanction.

If old dude was there before this person bought the land he shouldn’t be in jail or kicked off. He was there first and it’s not like the area was already developed by anyone

I can agree with you on this one

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter
I wonder how much the owner's life would be affected if they just let the guy stay till he dies.

And fyi I agree with you. If I owned that land I'd just let this guy alone and not fuss about it.

The problem is precedent. We cant just let people squat legally. It's easy to look at this case and agree this is terrible. It's an 81 year old man who has been there forever. This sucks....indeed.

But what about the door that opens when we legally validate letting whoever just squat?
This is why precedent is a terrible thing when it comes to justice because every case is unique and justice is supposed to be blind. But unfortunately it’s not which is why I focus on it so keenly. Our judges are like single programming automatons who only rule based on what someone else has ruled previously

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

This is why precedent is a terrible thing when it comes to justice because every case is unique and justice is supposed to be blind. But unfortunately it’s not which is why I focus on it so keenly. Our judges are like single programming automatons who only rule based on what someone else has ruled previously

Yep.

It's all fun and games when it's a kangaroo activist shit show but when those standards begin to impact that side.....they'll be outraged.

It will be their doing.

We NEED to preserve individual rights and liberties and each case must be fair and rooted in that. Sadly that is slipping too hard.

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter

Yep.

It's all fun and games when it's a kangaroo activist shit show but when those standards begin to impact that side.....they'll be outraged.

It will be their doing.

We NEED to preserve individual rights and liberties and each case must be fair and rooted in that. Sadly that is slipping too hard.
This man has as much right to that open land as the founding fathers had to this nation we now call America.

open Forrest like that should become the property of whomever cultivates it first

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

Yep.

It will be their doing.

This man has as much right to that open land as the founding fathers had to this nation we now call America.

open Forrest like that should become the property of whomever cultivates it first

I'll agree with that.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Squatters suck as do all thieves. He should have bought land and not tried to steal it from other people.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

So he is just supposed to keep paying property taxes on land he owns but can't use because of a squatter? I know you don't even believe your own communist bull shit because if you did then you'd have twenty homeless people living with you in Portugal. You are just like those rich Hollywood types who show up at protests saying they want the homeless squatters to steal someone else's land but who then call the cops when someone squats in their front lawn.

Rules for thee but not for me. The liberal hypocrites motto.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

At his age....as long as he was there? I lean on the side of mercy.

He really wasnt bothering anyone.....just existing on land he failed to make sure he owned.

Its unfortunate because property rights are important. But this is just sad.

You have to legally keep fighting a squatter or you do lose your property so I fully understand why the owner kept up the legal proceedings for so long. Theft is theft and he was attempting theft.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

So he is just supposed to keep paying property taxes on land he owns but can't use because of a squatter? I know you don't even believe your own communist bull shit because if you did then you'd have twenty homeless people living with you in Portugal. You are just like those rich Hollywood types who show up at protests saying they want the homeless squatters to steal someone else's land but who then call the cops when someone squats in their front lawn.

Rules for thee but not for me. The liberal hypocrites motto.

Yeah. I didn't say any of that, but I wouldn't expect a cogent or salient response from you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Lidstone, the squatter, says the previous owner had given him the right to stay there. The current owner didn't even know Lidstone was there. So he's just a huge asshole.

Property owner Leonard Giles, 86, of South Burlington, Vermont, owns several plots of land through New Hampshire. He claimed that he didn´t even know Lidstone was there until the town administrator found out in 2015 and told him, expressing concern 'with regard to the solid and septic waste disposal and the potential zoning violations created by the structure,' according to a complaint filed by Giles in 2016.

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter
Lidstone, the squatter, says the previous owner had given him the right to stay there. The current owner didn't even know Lidstone was there. So he's just a huge asshole.

Property owner Leonard Giles, 86, of South Burlington, Vermont, owns several plots of land through New Hampshire. He claimed that he didn´t even know Lidstone was there until the town administrator found out in 2015 and told him, expressing concern 'with regard to the solid and septic waste disposal and the potential zoning violations created by the structure,' according to a complaint filed by Giles in 2016.

Betcha that owner is a lefty tho

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
If this bum doesnt pay some form of rent, the cops would be the least of his worries with me.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Could be a corporate Dem. Not an actual lefty.

Biggie Smiles

Site Supporter

Could be a corporate Dem. Not an actual lefty.
In Vermont? Lol

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Who puts an 81 year old guy everyone calls "River Dave" in fucking jail?

That's a total corporate dem move. They are all lefty's to me. Working together and shit.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

That's a total corporate dem move. They are all lefty's to me. Working together and shit.

You're not too aware then. I am a lefty. I am not a Dem, nor am I corporate by any means, and I don't work together with any greedy Dems. There are millions of us who very clearly understand the difference and are actual lefties. Don't belittle us with your inability to understand anything outside of black/white.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

If my dad left me land with a squatter on it, I'd make him sign some form of lease or GTFO. BUT FIRST, I'd check with the law to see what kind of liability I was opening myself up to. I'm betting the owner wouldnt have said shit but the law brought it to his attention and basically forced him to act. Also, there's this tidbit:
"Even if the case was still open, he added, squatters cannot take adverse possession of state property, which a judge has said the cabin is on."

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

If I was 81, I'd claim I was property security and bill the owners and bill them fees for not paying.

Putting 81 year olds in jail for non violent crimes is crackers. I have faith in the American people for making sure he is compensated worthwith.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

You're not too aware then. I am a lefty. I am not a Dem, nor am I corporate by any means, and I don't work together with any greedy Dems. There are millions of us who very clearly understand the difference and are actual lefties. Don't belittle us with your inability to understand anything outside of black/white.

You are asking me not belittle people who have literally ALWAYS belittled me no matter how respectful and civil I've been?

Lotus....people cannot even ask questions without getting belittled by leftists.

Just look at how we get constantly belittled and called names.

You guys are firm in this attitude that anyone leaning more right are just stupid, racist, so on. That you guys alone have all the answers and should get to mold the country and have all the say and anyone who challenges this is met with belittling and even vitriol.

Look at how the conversation about CRT happens. Evidently people cant even be concerned about their children without being belittled, slammed and shut down. And blatantly lied to.

So yeah.....from where we stand it's all the same to us.