Christian Political Ethics are upside down

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

We’re adamant about politics and flexible about virtue.​

"How does this happen? The longer I live the more convinced I am that our Christian political ethic is upside down. On a bipartisan basis, the church has formed its members to be adamant about policies that are difficult and contingent and flexible about virtues that are clear and mandatory.

To understand what I mean, let’s refer back to one of my favorite passages in scripture—Micah 6:8. Like many biblical passages, it is simple to understand yet tough to execute: “He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God.”

In many ways, each of those virtues is in tension with each other. Humility requires us to acknowledge our own limitations and inability to formulate political responses to complex human problems. For example, how do you close the racial achievement gap in American education? What are the just limits of individual liberty? How do you decrease violent crime? Is there a path to public safety that does not include mass incarceration?

Yet while we can and should recognize the possibility that we can be wrong, we can’t be paralyzed into inaction. We might be wrong, but we have to try to do what’s right, as best as we can discern it.

But then the instant we press on to “do justice” the demand to “love kindness” appears to block the way. How many times have we heard the claim that the “old rules” of civility and decency are simply inadequate for the times? That’s a core argument of the new right, for example. We tried decency, they say, and it didn’t work. Now is the time to punch back.

Yet that mindset is utterly antithetical to the Christian moral ethic. You’re not kind until kindness doesn’t work. You’re to be kind even through the most brutal acts of repression and in the face of complete political defeat.

In the face of the moral complexity and difficulty of the true Christian moral call, we’ve created a hierarchy of values. It’s not that we absolutely reject kindness or humility or decency. It’s not that we’re going to condemn the fruit of the spirit—love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control—it’s just that they’re “
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
.” When push comes to shove, it’s our vision of justice that matters. "

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
I think way too many politicians on both sides merely pretend to have faith to secure the religious votes. If you want to win…lie, cheat, steal, beg or borrow. It creates a monster, but it also achieves a win…
:Happy5:

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I think way too many politicians on both sides merely pretend to have faith to secure the religious votes. If you want to win…lie, cheat, steal, beg or borrow. It creates a monster, but it also achieves a win…

I agree. However, in the US, there's only one party that uses religion as a cudgel. And those are socially conservative Republicans.

The article points out how they've abandoned Christianity for power.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

I agree. However, in the US, there's only one party that uses religion as a cudgel. And those are socially conservative Republicans.

I think the “religious” aspect helps camouflage the racism.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

I think the “religious” aspect helps camouflage the racism.

Ding, ding, ding, ding...winner!