BLM/Antifa wants to cancel The Eyes of Texas.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The problem is, as always, they are completely wrong and are just once again lying about the origin of the song.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The real problem is when you're on the defense and bother to engage in a detailed defense, it will be lost on people who can barely muster enough attention to read a meme. When anyone says "RAYCIS", the reply should be "Shut up nigger".

Admin.

Silent Scream, try to tear your face apart.
Site Supporter ☠️
239daf60ece76b4f720b4fd5bc18e623ad501ea1103b743d3cc442ba53282e3f_1.jpg

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The problem is, as always, they are completely wrong and are just once again lying about the origin of the song.

I think the song appears to be a take off of Lee's phrase and it was intended as such.
But whether this is a good enough reason to cancel an entire song and replace it, is another issue.
Couldn't they just modify the lyrics to be more inclusive?

This has been done several times in the past to many anthems
ie - the Russian National anthem used to contain lyrics praising Joseph Stalin, which were later replaced tho the anthem's musical score remained.

I agree. This cancel culture is going too far. All these cancel/BLM types imagine all the suffering their ancestors went through thinking it's their own.

Yet I seriously doublt that 98% of them could last a day in the fields picking cotton, let alone 1 hour. It's their ancestors who suffered and had to endure, not them.
They're too busy sipping on their frothy Starbucks lattes while they read the latest revisionist history bytes from their iPhones.

Such a disadvantaged/oppressed bunch this papmerped generation are.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
It is a phrase attributed to him but the problem is despite being one of the best covered and quoted people in the US (newspaper men crawled all over any general's encampment during the Civil war) and decades of public speaking without anyone attributing such a quote to him it was only decades after his death that this quote some how got attributed to him without it appearing any where in the historical record. The first mention was in 1898 and then it was to unnamed sources and sounded very much like a folk tale with no historical evidence at all despite massive coverage and volumes of writings about the man including stuff written by him personally.

In short, professional historians think he never said it. It is kind of like the Washington chopping down a cherry tree story. It didn't happen and only began appearing long after his death. Hell, historians cam find it being a common phrase as early as 1609 long before America was colonized by the British much less the US itself.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
It is a phrase attributed to him but the problem is despite being one of the best covered and quoted people in the US (newspaper men crawled all over any general's encampment during the Civil war) and decades of public speaking without anyone attributing such a quote to him it was only decades after his death that this quote some how got attributed to him without it appearing any where in the historical record. The first mention was in 1898 and then it was to unnamed sources and sounded very much like a folk tale with no historical evidence at all despite massive coverage and volumes of writings about the man including stuff written by him personally.

In short, professional historians think he never said it. It is kind of like the Washington chopping down a cherry tree story. It didn't happen and only began appearing long after his death. Hell, historians cam find it being a common phrase as early as 1609 long before America was colonized by the British much less the US itself.

Well...another example is the Bible used to make numerous references to Jews as the murderers of Jesus. But after WWII, that all got taken out by the authorities.

There might be a reason to modify the lyrics of a song, but not cancel or eliminate it altogether.

I even think the German national anthem used to make references to glorifying Hitler and the 3rd reich. But of course that was changed as well tho the tune original melody is still there.

Krieg

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Well...another example is the Bible used to make numerous references to Jews as the murderers of Jesus. But after WWII, that all got taken out by the authorities.

There might be a reason to modify the lyrics of a song, but not cancel or eliminate it altogether.

I even think the German national anthem used to make references to glorifying Hitler and the 3rd reich. But of course that was changed as well tho the tune original melody is still there.
You might be thinking of "Horst Wesell Lied" (sp)

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
What I am saying is there is contemporary historical references and documentation that those things happened so it is easy for historians to see what the chronological order of events were on the examples you brought up. No such historical references exist for attributing this to Lee exist. It just appeared almost 30 years after his death and so seems apocryphal.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
What I am saying is there is contemporary historical references and documentation that those things happened so it is easy for historians to see what the chronological order of events were on the examples you brought up. No such historical references exist for attributing this to Lee exist. It just appeared almost 30 years after his death and so seems apocryphal.

Yeah, I suppose what you say is possible, tho I'm inclined to think/feel that the lyrics of this Texas song make reference to Robert E. Lee.

Same time, I think this woke culture is going too far, and they'll wanna cancel everything they feel like whenever they damn well please.

It's also consistent with a generation that doesn't know how to wait, say please, thank you. They're a gimme generation who want everything now at this instant. They've been programmed to think if something is as instaneous as getting something from an app or their iPhone, that everything in real life oughta be that way.

Yup, cancel somebody's culture or steamroll over their culture sensibilities like pushing a button on their iPhone app.

Admin.

Silent Scream, try to tear your face apart.
Site Supporter ☠️
Y'all do now you're just a bunch of racists with delusions of relevance, kthnxby.

If you have read Kerouac's 'On the road' you have heard of this.

It bares pete and repeting.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Y'all do now you're just a bunch of racists with delusions of relevance, kthnxby.

If you have read Kerouac's 'On the road' you have heard of this.

It bares pete and repeting.

I'd rather listen to some Megadeath.