Fucking rats.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Ok, so, rather foolishly, we store our Costco sized bag of dog food as well as the seeds for the bird feeder in our yard in our garage. Apparently, this has attracted rats into our garage. I am not sure how they got in there but now that I think of it I can remember my wife leaving the side door open a few times plus both of the boys like to open the garage door, go riding around the neighborhood on their bikes, then come back to the open garage to put away their bikes. I will need to start making sure all of them keep the doors closed.

So, anyway, my wife's car was working perfectly yesterday (2019 Camry) but this morning she drove our son to school and she told me the "car was shaking and the was a check engine light on". I test drove and sure enough it was like one cylinder was not firing. Stupidly, I took it to our local Toyota dealer thinking it would be a warranty issue but as soon as they popped the hood it was clear a rat made a nest between the plastic engine cover and the intake manifold. The rat had put a bunch of carpet fiber, leaves, and something which looked like the firewall covering material from the engine bay to make a nest. It had also chewed on the plastic engine cover as well as through one of the fuel injector wires for the #2 cylinder.

Naturally, rodent damage is not covered under warranty and my deductible is $500 so I had to pay $175 to the dealer to fix it. If I had inspected it first before going to the dealer I might have been able to splice it together and put a heat shrink on it for $0.20. Oh, well, live and learn. This is the first time I ever had rodent damage to a wire before. I checked on the internet and found that in order to be more "green" Toyota replaced traditional plastic wife coatings with a soy bean based plastic and that rodents apparently love munching on this soy bean based plastic. I would prefer traditional toxic but untasty to rodents plastic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
As I am currently waiting for my fuel injector wire to be repaired, the car repaired, and the computer being reset I decided to walk a block to Walmart to buy rat traps. Six of them plus some poison bait traps. The bird food and the dog food in the garage will now get stored in sealable plastic containers. The various boxes and other shit kids have left on the floor will get put away correctly and the whole three car garage swept out.

Hopefully, this results in any rodents dying in the traps and new ones staying away so there are no more issues. I also am not going to park either of the cars in our garage until I see dead rat bodies showing up in the traps. I don't want to park it there again only to find the rat has returned to chew more shit up. Fuck me.

Last edited:

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I had heard it started when they began to use a soy based oil for the release agent. I guess one bad idea deserves another.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Ok, so, rather foolishly, we store our Costco sized bag of dog food as well as the seeds for the bird feeder in our yard in our garage. Apparently, this has attacked rats into our garage. I am not sure how they got in there but now that I think of it I can remember my wife leaving the side door open a few times plus both of the boys like to open the garage door, go riding around the neighborhood on their bikes, then come back to the open garage to put away their bikes. I will need to start making sure all of them keep the doors closed.

So, anyway, my wife's car was working perfectly yesterday (2019 Camry) but this morning she drove our son to school and she told me the "car was shaking and the was a check engine light on". I test drove and sure enough it was like one cylinder was not firing. Stupidly, I took it to our local Toyota dealer thinking it would be a warranty issue but as soon as they popped the hood it was clear a rat made a nest between the plastic engine cover and the intake manifold. The rat had put a bunch of carpet fiber, leaves, and something which looked like the firewall covering material from the engine bay to make a nest. It had also chewed on the plastic engine cover as well as through one of the fuel injector wires for the #2 cylinder.

Naturally, rodent damage is not covered under warranty and my deductible is $500 so I had to pay $175 to the dealer to fix it. If I had inspected it first before going to the dealer I might have been able to splice it together and put a heat shrink on it for $0.20. Oh, well, live and learn. This is the first time I ever had rodent damage to a wire before. I checked on the internet and found that in order to be more "green" Toyota replaced traditional plastic wife coatings with a soy bean based plastic and that rodents apparently love munching on this soy bean based plastic. I would prefer traditional toxic but untasty to rodents plastic.

Why isn't the dog food in a large bin with a cover? That would have prevented all of it.

The Countess

Hood with it
Site Supporter
Yup, happened to my sisters car. Not covered by warranty. My dad was PISSED.

This happened while parked on the street, bye. They live in a good neighborhood too

The Countess

Hood with it
Site Supporter
As I am currently waiting for my fuel injector wire to be repaired, the car repaired, and the computer being reset I decided to walk a block to Walmart to buy rat traps. Six of them plus some poison bait traps. The bird food and the dog food in the garage will now get stored in sealable plastic containers. The various boxes and other shit kids have left on the floor will get put away correctly and the whole three car garage swept out.

Hopefully, this results in any rodents dying in the traps and new ones staying away so there are no more issues. I also am not going to park either of the cars in our garage until I see dead rat bodies showing up in the traps. I don't want to park it there again only to find the rat has returned to chew more shit up. Fuck me.

I’d call exterminator. They put those big black boxes out and the rats eat what’s inside. They run off and die. Problem solved.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Ok, so, rather foolishly, we store our Costco sized bag of dog food as well as the seeds for the bird feeder in our yard in our garage. Apparently, this has attacked rats into our garage. I am not sure how they got in there but now that I think of it I can remember my wife leaving the side door open a few times plus both of the boys like to open the garage door, go riding around the neighborhood on their bikes, then come back to the open garage to put away their bikes. I will need to start making sure all of them keep the doors closed.

Why isn't the dog food in a large bin with a cover? That would have prevented all of it.

In retrospect that would have been a good choice. We just never had rodent problems before, ever, so the thought didn't occur to either of us.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I’d call exterminator. They put those big black boxes out and the rats eat what’s inside. They run off and die. Problem solved.

What if they crawl in to a wall or hide away some where and then you smell decomposing rat?

The Countess

Hood with it
Site Supporter

What if they crawl in to a wall or hide away some where and then you smell decomposing rat?

I believe they’ll come out and remove it.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Cats are good to have too.

I have one, he is a good mouser too, I have seen him catch and fuck with rats before but never kill one as unlike mice rats bite back. He got a little scared after the tree rat he caught bite him back. When it comes to mice, I routinely find half eaten dead mice he has caught.

We have a garden and lots of fruit trees in the backyard and so do our neighbors so that means rodents plus he patrols the whole neighborhood hunting down every mouse, lizard, and grasshopper he can find.

Last edited:

DDT

Factory Bastard
I have dealt with this exact problem in my shop/garage. You are on the right track: All current rodents must be exterminated with extreme prejudice. I used a combo of poison bait stations, snap traps, and a live bait trap (almonds make great bait) in my initial attack.

Mice can fit into extremely small places, so it may not be easy to keep them out of the garage. But once the current intruders are eliminated, you can take steps to make it unattractive for new ones: Rodents don't like light, so I sort of lit up my shop with light-sensing LED night lights. They also don't like human voices, so I put a radio in there to play a talk radio station 24/7. Now the issue is under control.

I would say the poison bait seems to have been the most effective. I leave those boxes in there now full time.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I bought two prison bat traps and each trap comes with 10 poison baits. I figure when they are done feasting on one poison snack I will put the next one in.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I bought two prison bat traps and each trap comes with 10 poison baits. I figure when they are done feasting on one poison snack I will put the next one in.

So @Oerdin, are rats a problem in Southern California?

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Want to borrow my army of cats? Theyll fix that in a day lol
You might consider an electronic pest repellent as well.
Neither of these will work satisfactorily, contrary to popular belief!

My cats have killed every single mouse that has came in my house.

Here was the last one

20211210-195338.jpg

If it wasnt for my cats bringing these to me and the "cat pellets" I've found? I would never even know mice got in. No droppings anywhere....no evidence.

Farmers love having barn cats because they keep the vermin out of the crops. Ferals get requested by local farmers all the time and get located on farms for vermin control.

DDT

Factory Bastard
My cats have killed every single mouse that has came in my house.

If it wasnt for my cats bringing these to me and the "cat pellets" I've found? I would never even know mice got in. No droppings anywhere....no evidence.
Cats are somewhat helpful, but they aren't reliable enough to solve a rodent problem. Basically, they may or may not go after mice. And Rats are usually too big for most cats to want to deal with...

DDT

Factory Bastard
Here's something interesting: Alberta (a larger area than France) is rat free. Quite a feat, but they managed to eliminate them by using extreme prejudice and always remaining vigilant! Every last one is killed, and pet rats are not permitted.

Dl-Hi1bv-X0-AAd8-Fh.jpg

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Here's something interesting: Alberta (a larger area than France) is rat free. Quite a feat, but they managed to eliminate them by using extreme prejudice and always remaining vigilant! Every last one is killed, and pet rats are not permitted.

Dl-Hi1bv-X0-AAd8-Fh.jpg

So basically what your saying is only in extremely cold climates rats can't or aren't willing to live there.

...they vacation in the South.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Cats are somewhat helpful, but they aren't reliable enough to solve a rodent problem. Basically, they may or may not go after mice. And Rats are usually too big for most cats to want to deal with...

Unless...you have a Maine Coon Cat!

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
[/URL]

o7d0w-big1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Last edited: