April is Confederate History Month!

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Anyways...the CSA is jes history now.

Instead of getting worked up about it,
People should git over it and see it as some historical context

I was thinkin this thread should be about the Good & the Bad aspects about it.

Teh Confederacy gets so much flack about its slave holding past, and yet these civilizations we call 'Great' had significantly more of it goin' on and likely a lot more depraved than the Confederacy.

ie - Ancient Egypt, Rome and Ancient Greece just some examples.

For better wor worse, this thread should be about what it was like to live back then.

That is probably true about ancient civilizations, but the fallout from savery, including Jim Crow and other kinds of systemic racism, seriously affected people who are still alive now and have directly shaped the society we live in now.

See...I didn't grow up in the States so I didn't see that so much when I was there.

I was there more as a tourist/temporary worker so I wasn't really affected by the negative influences that much.
People were mostly friendly to me. So maybe that's why I just see Confederate symbols as historical artifacts for amusement. Same as an antique or comic book. I just see Confederate Uniforms as costumes not instruments of violence.
They have no symbolic basis of oppression nor ideological affiliation for me because it doesn't have the same connotation.

But I did notice some tension between Blacks and Whites. There seemed to be this invisible Color Bar for all races.
A lot more violence, knives and guns for sure.
And I met so many men who'd been to prison.
It was so common to meet ex-cons that you basically accepted it as a part of daily existence living there.

USA is def a much higher pressure society than Canada. Seems more stressful.
Didn't think the quality of the food was as good there. I got ulcers while living in the States.

But maybe that was more due to stress than illness.
I visited Mexico once, so maybe I got sick there.

Not sure.

If you're not black, then it would be pretty easy for you to not be confronted by the very sinister history there.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Anyways...the CSA is jes history now.

Instead of getting worked up about it,
People should git over it and see it as some historical context

I was thinkin this thread should be about the Good & the Bad aspects about it.

Teh Confederacy gets so much flack about its slave holding past, and yet these civilizations we call 'Great' had significantly more of it goin' on and likely a lot more depraved than the Confederacy.

ie - Ancient Egypt, Rome and Ancient Greece just some examples.

For better wor worse, this thread should be about what it was like to live back then.

That is probably true about ancient civilizations, but the fallout from savery, including Jim Crow and other kinds of systemic racism, seriously affected people who are still alive now and have directly shaped the society we live in now.

See...I didn't grow up in the States so I didn't see that so much when I was there.

I was there more as a tourist/temporary worker so I wasn't really affected by the negative influences that much.
People were mostly friendly to me. So maybe that's why I just see Confederate symbols as historical artifacts for amusement. Same as an antique or comic book. I just see Confederate Uniforms as costumes not instruments of violence.
They have no symbolic basis of oppression nor ideological affiliation for me because it doesn't have the same connotation.

But I did notice some tension between Blacks and Whites. There seemed to be this invisible Color Bar for all races.
A lot more violence, knives and guns for sure.
And I met so many men who'd been to prison.
It was so common to meet ex-cons that you basically accepted it as a part of daily existence living there.

USA is def a much higher pressure society than Canada. Seems more stressful.
Didn't think the quality of the food was as good there. I got ulcers while living in the States.

But maybe that was more due to stress than illness.
I visited Mexico once, so maybe I got sick there.

Not sure.

If you're not black, then it would be pretty easy for you to not be confronted by the very sinister history there.

No I guess it wouldn't.

But the Southerners were always friendly towards me.

Guess it's different if a person is Black tho.

It must be a different world for them to experience it altogether.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
A Confederate's Veteran's own personal account of his role in the American Civil War:

Admin.

All that glitters, is not gold.
Site Supporter ☠️
KerrConfedVets_Web.jpg

This photo shows more than a gathering of Confederate Veterans, it is also photographic record of many of the significant figures in Kerr County history and gives the viewer a good idea of what the citizenry of Kerr County was like in 1895.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
KerrConfedVets_Web.jpg

This photo shows more than a gathering of Confederate Veterans, it is also photographic record of many of the significant figures in Kerr County history and gives the viewer a good idea of what the citizenry of Kerr County was like in 1895.

A silly observation, but there seem to be fewer older bald people in that photo than people of today.

Maybe sign of the times we live in?

Even tho lifespans were shorter back then, those who managed to live to old age looked healthier than our Seniors of today.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Last Surviiving Civil War Pensioner lived until 2020:

...Father fought for both North & South.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Last known Widow of Civil War Soldier died in 2020:

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Last Surviving Widow of a Confederate Soldier:

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Slavery in during the Civil War as told by the Slaves themselves

OP
OP
Blazor

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
It's become one of those taboo things in the States I guess.
Sort of like how you Canucks abuse the native people.
Now there's a campaign for you to get on the bandwagon of, Joseph.
There's no native people in North America, anyway you don't argur for the native in Europe do you hollighey...
Don't I, SHAMWOW! ?
Maybe you can ask any of my long time board associates how wrong you are....again.
So I'm meant to know every post you've ever made anywhere on the internet? I only know what I see and no, never ever have I seen you do that... The first nations peoples who you wrongly describe as indigenous built nothing and were savages, I think a lot of them and agree they deserve everything they already have... So what about the Europeans having the same luxury in THIER homelands, what's your feelings?

Actually you have an interesting point.

Europeans are the indigenous peoples of their own continent.

But this is never pointed out.

Europe isn't a melting point like North America.

Hence, it tends to be more culturally rigid and hostile to outsiders who try to tamper with or re-arrange the existing social/cultural order.
It's all down to Europeans though, created everything worthy of note... Take my country of only 5million, TV, PHONE,PENICILLIN use, FOOTBALL, GOLF, KILTS. INTERNET and whiskey to name a few... Can I cry cultural appropriation when someone of non Euro decent uses any of that or does it just apply to white kids wearing Moana costumes etc

My Favorite Hollywood Cultural Appropriation Scene...

...non Scots performing as them with fake accents

Perhaps a few historical inaccuracies evident as well. (?)

I could get there in two hours, beautiful place and world class fishing if you know where to go, it's salt water and gigantic skate are to be had...

Oi! For Scotland!!! (insert beer toasting emoji that is missing)

OP
OP
Blazor

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
I've often found Confederate era antiques to be intriguing due to their scarcity & highly elusive collectibility.

There simply isn't much of it around. Not much was made/produced, a good deal must have gotten destroyed during the War or upheaval.

This CSA era uniform went for a cool $85,000 USD:

rs=w:600,h:600

Im gonna have one made. I know a guy, with the Sons of Confederate Veterans that I go to, his wife makes them.

OP
OP
Blazor

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
A Confederate's Veteran's own personal account of his role in the American Civil War:

I've heard this one before, I have it bookmarked. "It was over State's rights!"

OP
OP
Blazor

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
Southern Soldier

My favorite Civil war tune, but I prefer the one done by the 2nd South Carolina String Band.

I prolly played it over 200 times this past year lolol.

I will play it on my fiddle one day!!!

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I've heard this one before, I have it bookmarked. "It was over State's rights!"

Welll it was an interesting comment he made, that he thought getting rid of slavery was a good thing.

Anyways, like to find more recorded accounts from these Southern veterans.

OP
OP
Blazor

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
^^^ I'll have to catch this one later.

Thanks for everyones contributions so far. Busy day or I would reply to everything lol.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The muslim slave trade in black Africans actually transported and worked to death some where between ten and twenty times as many people as the transatlantic slave trade over its entire history and that isn't even counting Muslim enslavement of whites.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I've often found Confederate era antiques to be intriguing due to their scarcity & highly elusive collectibility.

There simply isn't much of it around. Not much was made/produced, a good deal must have gotten destroyed during the War or upheaval.

Im gonna have one made. I know a guy, with the Sons of Confederate Veterans that I go to, his wife makes them.

I saw an original Confederate uniform on the Internet that was selling for less than $20,000.

Is that more in line with your budget?

OP
OP
Blazor

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter

I saw an original Confederate uniform on the Internet that was selling for less than $20,000.

I wish lol. This one Im having made wont cost much.

Did you know, a lot of Southerners fought wearing Revolutionary War uniforms? It wasnt even 100 years earlier. Those wearing them were because they likened it to fighting for freedom and liberty, much like their grandfathers just recently had.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The muslim slave trade in black Africans actually transported and worked to death some where between ten and twenty times as many people as the transatlantic slave trade over its entire history and that isn't even counting Muslim enslavement of whites.

I believe it's still going on in Africa.

Not that it justifies the Confederacy, but Arab Muslims treated and still threat their Black slaves way worse than Southerners did.

The Worst part about them, is they don't even apologize about it & sometimes even use passages from the Koran to justify slavery. While many White Southerners feel guilty about the past, many Muslims don't even feel guilty about the Present.

The Prophet Mohammed was a huge slaveowner, and held many Black slaves in bondage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blazor

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
James H. Keatts - Civil War Soldier & Father to 5 children ~ By: Noelle Woodcock
April is Confederate History Month and so for the rest of April we will be highlighting stories associated with the War Between the States and the veterans lives after the war as well.
Today I wanted to highlight a man by the name of James H. Keatts. I came across his name while I was looking through our database collection and I found a very touching story of a father and a daughters love for each other. According to family history James Keatts brought his daughter, Ida back a doll after he completed his service in the war and came home. His daughter was born during the war and so when he returned he wanted to bring her a gift. The doll is Civil War era and the stuffing is sawdust. Below is a little more information about James H. Keatts service and what his life was like before and after the war.
James H. Keatts married Sally W. Rorer January 19, 1846 in Pittsylvania, Virginia. By the 1850 Census he is 25 years old living with his wife who is also 25. They have two kids: Sally (1 year old) and John (1 month old).
On August 10, 1863 James enlists in Liberty, Virginia. His enlistment rank was private and he was apart of Company B, 10th Battalion, Artillery Regiment. On August 31, 1864 his muster roll lists him as being on guard.
In the 1870 Census he is 49 years old; living in Staunton, Bedford, Virginia and his occupation is a farmer. He has 5 children: John H. Jr. (20 years old); Sallie L. (18 years old); Eliza J. (16 years old); Samuel H. (14 years old); and Ida B. (7 years old).
According to a document I found on
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
and from Bedford Villages Vol. 2, Page 267 James H. Keatts was appointed postmaster for White Rock, Bedford County, Virginia. The date he was appointed postmaster - October 25, 1875.
By the 1880 Census he is 60 years old and is still residing in Staunton, Bedford, Virginia. He makes his living by farming. His daughter Ida is 16 years old by this time.
Mr. Keatts dies December 31, 1892 in Bedford and he is buried with his military headstone in Huddleston, Bedford, Virginia.

168251660_10157887936181347_5741764607488228947_n.jpg

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I wish lol. This one Im having made wont cost much.

Did you know, a lot of Southerners fought wearing Revolutionary War uniforms? It wasnt even 100 years earlier. Those wearing them were because they likened it to fighting for freedom and liberty, much like their grandfathers just recently had.

I think a lot of them didn't even have uniforms.

Probably just the upper ranks and the rich plantation class?

Which means that those uniforms would be even more scarce & extremely difficult to find.

But...they're still cheaper than a vintage Honus Wagner baseball card printed on cheap card stock,

So...for every square inch of fabric they're made of, they're a better buy I think.

Plus each is one of a kind.