Holliday's World Famous Fishing Thread - 2023 Version

Breakfall

Such is life...
ASS BOXED
However being an African fish, temperature will govern where it can be farmed successfully.

While the vast majority of tilapia grown in the world are raised in ponds in tropical climates, pond culture in the U.S. is only feasible in the southernmost parts of Texas and Florida, or where geothermally heated water is available.

The New Holliday

Now With 25% More Infinity
Site Supporter
Factory Bastard
When all else fails…this is still the #1 bait for bass!

images
Dude - if all fails ... you got skunked.
. Fish eat fish, bugs, snakes, birds etc. Sure anyone can catch them with live bait,
. but it takes skills to catch them, lure them with artificials.

That's what us BassMasters do.

Breakfall

Such is life...
ASS BOXED
Dude - if all fails ... you got skunked.
. Fish eat fish, bugs, snakes, birds etc. Sure anyone can catch them with live bait,
. but it takes skills to catch them, lure them with artificials.

That's what us BassMasters do.
Lures are an easy option…if it was hard they wouldn’t be so popular.

When the fish aren’t biting…they need to smell the bait to coerce them to feed.

I realise lures are cleaner and there’s no real hassle. But it comes across as cheating in my book, with the exception of fly fishing. Now that is a lesson in skill.

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
Factory Bastard
Lures are an easy option…if it was hard they wouldn’t be so popular.

When the fish aren’t biting…they need to smell the bait to coerce them to feed.

I realise lures are cleaner and there’s no real hassle. But it comes across as cheating in my book, with the exception of fly fishing. Now that is a lesson in skill.
OOooo look, the 5 year old girl put a werm on a hook and a fishy ate it. So much skill at such a young age.
. No, to learn to read the day, the habitat, to know the fish's habits through the seasons and weather patterns and to learn to select a lure and present it convincingly to the wary prey in the thousands of combinations in senerio...
that requires years of study and practice. That requires real knowledge and skills.

Breakfall

Such is life...
ASS BOXED
OOooo look, the 5 year old girl put a werm on a hook and a fishy ate it. So much skill at such a young age.
. No, to learn to read the day, the habitat, to know the fish's habits through the seasons and weather patterns and to learn to select a lure and present it convincingly to the wary prey in the thousands of combinations in senerio...
that requires years of study and practice. That requires real knowledge and skills.
Are you trying to explain this to me or the audience? Most of us have fished our entire lives Einstein, or we wouldn’t be trying to contribute to your echo-chambered fishing thread.

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
Factory Bastard
But we digress…

Bass is the fish that you mainly target? You seem somewhat obsessed…it’s only an average eating fish after all.
Do you get to do any saltwater fishing?
No, YOU digress as well as making shit up.
This is a fishing thread.

. It's a non-trolling zone...in other words, a non-retard zone for people to talk about fishing and fishing gear and techniques etc. You want to troll bs - Take it to a troll board.
. This is a wholesome, family oriented site, catering to intelligent, healthy minded individuals.

If you can not abide...
please exit quietly.

Breakfall

Such is life...
ASS BOXED
No, YOU digress as well as making shit up.
This is a fishing thread.

. It's a non-trolling zone...in other words, a non-retard zone for people to talk about fishing and fishing gear and techniques etc. You want to troll bs - Take it to a troll board.
. This is a wholesome, family oriented site, catering to intelligent, healthy minded individuals.

If you can not abide...
please exit quietly.
So you troll in your own thread? Makes complete bullshit!

oldslowandugly

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
SHEESH!!!!! You guys need to grab a beer and swap FISH stories.

I fixed my charger unit. I am guessing that over the Labor Day weekend, the asshat navy flew past the docks making big wakes. [Wake-Boat, a frigging boat designed to MAKE wakes?!? Only a total asshat would do that]. Anyway, they rocked the docks so much one of the charger line bullet connectors came apart. This time I soldered it solidly. That will make maintenance harder, but a dead battery is worse.

While I was working I heard the baby bunker getting smashed by Bluefish. Not a frenzy, just one here and there. Night time is the right time for pandemonium. I rigged up a special rod just for them. The 30" Blue that my Grandson caught actually bent the main shaft of the 250GR reel. It was hard to crank after the Blue and I found the bent spool shaft oscillating inside. I never saw that before. Later for that. I grabbed my trusty PENN 704Z and put it on a 7' PENN Power-Graph heavy duty rod. The 704Z has the bail removed and the manual bail conversion kit on it. No mistakes with a manual bail. Not my pic, but this is a PENN 704Z with a manual bail conversion. No bail snapping shut at the worst time.
s-l1600.webp

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
Factory Bastard
SHEESH!!!!! You guys need to grab a beer and swap FISH stories
The problem seems to be he grabs far too many beers.

I fixed my charger unit. I am guessing that over the Labor Day weekend, the asshat navy flew past the docks making big wakes. [Wake-Boat, a frigging boat designed to MAKE wakes?!? Only a total asshat would do that]. Anyway, they rocked the docks so much one of the charger line bullet connectors came apart. This time I soldered it solidly. That will make maintenance harder, but a dead battery is worse.
You will need to get @Admin. involved here. He has contacts which may prove useful in negotiations with the Navy. Wakes for the wake-makers I say.

While I was working I heard the baby bunker getting smashed by Bluefish. Not a frenzy, just one here and there. Night time is the right time for pandemonium. I rigged up a special rod just for them. The 30" Blue that my Grandson caught actually bent the main shaft of the 250GR reel. It was hard to crank after the Blue and I found the bent spool shaft oscillating inside. I never saw that before. Later for that. I grabbed my trusty PENN 704Z and put it on a 7' PENN Power-Graph heavy duty rod. The 704Z has the bail removed and the manual bail conversion kit on it. No mistakes with a manual bail. Not my pic, but this is a PENN 704Z with a manual bail conversion. No bail snapping shut at the worst time.
...but did you get the Blues?

Breakfall

Such is life...
ASS BOXED
SHEESH!!!!! You guys need to grab a beer and swap FISH stories.

s-l1600.webp
These days I’ve seen a few decent reels with inferior inner-components. On a few fishing forums they have stuck with the reel and replaced the parts with a higher quality.

Have you had much experience with Australia’s famous Alvey reels?

oldslowandugly

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
"but did you get the Blues?"
Yes, I got one, then had to leave. Next day[yesterday] I got four. But one was belly hooked, and it tore free trying to boat it.
We will try again today,raining,that always helps.
"Alvey reels?"
No, looks like a lot of work to handle those. With Blues, you need a heavy duty no nonsense rig that will take a lot of punishment and dominate the situation. Every moment they are still in the water it is possible for them to spit the hook.

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
Factory Bastard
An absolutely gorgeous day at a favorite spot on the scenic Lenapehanna.
. Got it going with 4" Senkos on a straight shaft #2 worm hook. Bunch of nice ones - 22 in total (17 on the Senkos) - up to 2 lbs. Getting cool, but still wading waist deep in the clearest of water.

I promise to one day remember - bring the camera.
Cool fall weather and those fish start putting on for winter weight. Feeding heavy, and they are extra feisty.
. Smallies, particularly the river dwellers, are know as the hardest fighting fish, pound for pound, on the planet.
The American Black Bass is, of course, the King of Gamefish.

Breakfall

Such is life...
ASS BOXED
Check these out. Me and the grandson got up early, caught the last two hours of incoming tide, and nailed 11 Blues. It was raining, so we had the place to ourselves. We both feel like we got mugged by gorillas.

553ed213df2c71494fa2f0b2e6e429cf.jpg
Oh Tailor! I was wondering what fish you were going on about. Tailor in Australia and Shad most other places.

We had a great tailor run in South Africa. Everyone basically stopped work to fish the schooling phenomenon.

Very easy fish to catch for the novice fisherman. Particularly if a gang-hook rig is allowed in your country.

Strangely enough, most Australians don’t rate this a good eating fish? I absolutely love the taste, especially some of the browner meat. To me it’s like the venison of the sea.

Good haul mate! :ThumbsUp1:

oldslowandugly

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The American Black Bass is, of course, the King of Gamefish.
I would agree with that- if I had not switched to salt water. I learned to fish in Western Pennsylvania, so Bass, Bluegill, Crappie, Perch, Walleye, all were on my hit list.
Then I moved to salt water because I was surrounded by it here in Shitty City. When I caught my first Striped Bass, I never looked back. People fish their entire lives and never catch a Striper. Strong, smart, hard to fool and delicious on the table. As Breakfall said, Blues can be like shooting fish in a barrel when they are blitzing. But Stripers and Fluke hang below the Blues, letting them do the work, and picking up the pieces underneath. A Striper can crush a clam in it's jaw, suck out the meat, and spit out the shell. Even when you go to release it, they will twist around and jab you with the sharp dorsal fin spikes. I have several numb fingers as evidense.

Breakfall, I did not realize you were the man from down under. Yes, Tailors are what you call them. They are on both sides of the Atlantic, in the Mediterranean, and by you. But not in the Pacific. All I know about fishing in Australia, is what I saw in a Wiggles episode.

Breakfall

Such is life...
ASS BOXED
Breakfall, I did not realize you were the man from down under. Yes, Tailors are what you call them. They are on both sides of the Atlantic, in the Mediterranean, and by you. But not in the Pacific. All I know about fishing in Australia, is what I saw in a Wiggles episode.
I grew up in Africa until 21 and immigrated to Oz.

Tailor are massive in the Indian Ocean, in fact the biggest tailor I’ve seen in South Africa and caught are around 60 to 70cm and weight in at around 16kg . Here in the Pacific, they get to around 40cm…and most that I’ve caught even smaller. But yes…we do get them in the Pacific Ocean.

oldslowandugly

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
But yes…we do get them in the Pacific Ocean.
Do you consider the East side the Pacific? The Coral and Tasman Seas? My Philippino son-in-law always said the Philipine Sea was not part of the Pacific. I don't know much about that part of the World. But no Tailors on the North and South American pacific coasts. They did transplant Striped bass to our Pacific Coast. Now there is a thriving population from San Francisco to Oregon. Most major lakes and reservoirs have also been stocked with Stripers.

No fishing lately, too hot. Plus I have an oil leak on my car. I added a mechanical oil pressure gauge and where the sender screws into the engine broke and leaked. I need a rare size adapter to fix it. I found one in India, and one in Nevada. YIKES!

Breakfall

Such is life...
ASS BOXED
Do you consider the East side the Pacific? The Coral and Tasman Seas? My Philippino son-in-law always said the Philipine Sea was not part of the Pacific. I don't know much about that part of the World. But no Tailors on the North and South American pacific coasts. They did transplant Striped bass to our Pacific Coast. Now there is a thriving population from San Francisco to Oregon. Most major lakes and reservoirs have also been stocked with Stripers.

No fishing lately, too hot. Plus I have an oil leak on my car. I added a mechanical oil pressure gauge and where the sender screws into the engine broke and leaked. I need a rare size adapter to fix it. I found one in India, and one in Nevada. YIKES!
Old man…you get tailor in the pacific whether you like it or not!