Yes, masks matter

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
NOT a political thread, but rather a thread for public health facts.

Laura (Layla) H. Kwong, Assistant Professor of Environmental Health Sciences, University of California, Berkeley
Wed, September 22, 2021, 1:55 PM

Recently, I was part of the largest randomized controlled trial to date testing the
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
. What we found provides gold-standard evidence that confirms previous research: Wearing masks, particularly surgical masks, prevents COVID-19.

People have been
since the

During the coronavirus pandemic, the focus has been on masks as a way of preventing infected persons from contaminating the air around them – called source control. Recent laboratory evidence supports this idea. In April 2020, researchers showed that people infected with a coronavirus – but not SARS-CoV-2 – exhaled
. A number of additional
have also supported the efficacy of masks.

Out in the real world, many epidemiologists have
to see if
. One observational study – meaning it was not a controlled study with people wearing or not wearing masks – published in late 2020 looked at demographics, testing, lockdowns and mask-wearing in 196 countries. The researchers found that after controlling for other factors, countries with cultural norms or policies that supported mask-wearing saw weekly per capita coronavirus mortality increase 16% during outbreaks, compared with a

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
NOT a political thread, but

baby-sensei.gif

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
And yet.....nurses and doctors are not permitted to wear cloth masks. They also have to change masks frequently.

Wonder why, eh?

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
And yet.....nurses and doctors are not permitted to wear cloth masks. They also have to change masks frequently.

Wonder why, eh?
I know at one time, maybe still, my son in law was wearing a face mask with a replaceable cartridge. At least that does something.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
All this shit is political. This thread needs shit canning!

Stop spreading misinformation Lotus. Didnt you say you caught the KungFlu? Nitwit.

I got it when there were no masks available. If there had been masks, I probably could have avoided a year and a half of long covid.

How do you figure this is misinformation? You really need to go back to school and get a decent education. I am stunned by your gullibility.

When you have results from the largest randomized study ever that show masks are worthless, please post a link.

Last edited:

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
Too bad the pores in masks are much bigger than the virus. Thats just plain math, no science needed.
And if anyone were to use common sense, the eyes are a prime entry point of transmission. It’s no use arguing with idiots mate. The useless masks are having a devastating effect on oceanic ecologies, and that’s concerning.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter

Stop spreading misinformation Lotus. Didnt you say you caught the KungFlu? Nitwit.

I got it when there were no masks available. If there had been masks, I probably could have avoided a year and a half of long covid.

How do you figure this is misinformation? You really need to go back to school and get a decent education. I am stunned by your gullibility.

When you have results from the largest randomized study ever that show masks are worthless, please post a link.

I'll do you one better. A picture speaks a thousand words.....

iu

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
Too bad the pores in masks are much bigger than the virus. Thats just plain math, no science needed.
And if anyone were to use common sense, the eyes are a prime entry point of transmission. It’s no use arguing with idiots mate. The useless masks are having a devastating effect on oceanic ecologies, and that’s concerning.

Bingo! They never think it through. Because they are Selfish Motherfuckers!!!!

For one, you are right about the eyes. Highly susceptible area.

Two, people are lazy fucking retards, and I cant stand pollution!!!! But we banned straws though!!!!

Three, if this shit is so contagious, why are there no Hazard Waste cans for them masks when you leave the store!!!

Dumb ass sheep!

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
Lol, the person who caught Covid, is trying to tell us how not to get Covid lol.

You cant make this shit up folks.

Holliday1881

Banned
Banned
Lol, the person who caught Covid, is trying to tell us how not to get Covid lol.

Yeah - it's like them stoopit commercials where some person with lung cancer, or a tracheotomy is telling you to quit smoking cigarettes. I mean wtf do they know?

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I don't know if masks help much against a Chinese Bioweapon.

But they at least provide a psychological barrier so when others see a person wearing one they keep their distance.

COVID is spread by getting too close to people & breathing in their mucous and particles/germs that they spread. Even if you don't want to vaxx you should still observe social distancing and avoid crowded public places.

COVID is real & can make you very sick or kill you. I know of some people who caught it & others who died.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

Yeah - it's like them stoopit commercials where some person with lung cancer, or a tracheotomy is telling you to quit smoking cigarettes. I mean wtf do they know?
Stop being facetious...it’s unbecoming of you. I am an Applied Scientist and not once have you or LotusBottom heeded my advice. Wake up and smell the coffee...science isn’t your field of expertise.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

But they at least provide a psychological barrier so when others see a person wearing one they keep their distance.

COVID is spread by getting too close to people & breathing in their mucous and particles/germs that they spread. Even if you don't want to vaxx you should still observe social distancing and avoid crowded public places.

COVID is real & can make you very sick or kill you. I know of some people who caught it & others who died.
The virus remains on a number of surfaces from a few hours to up to a week or more Joe, so the masks are ineffective and redundant and are an ecological nightmare to the environment.

images

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

The virus remains on a number of surfaces from a few hours to up to a week or more Joe, so the masks are ineffective and redundant and are an ecological nightmare to the environment.

images

Possibly. But at least they provide a psychological barrier so people don't get too close to you. This virus is often spread by others when they get too close to you.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter

Yeah, I mean when those doctors had commercials saying cigs were GOOD for you!!!

Fucking nimrod lol.

SCIENCE!!! lol

iu

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

images

Possibly. But at least they provide a psychological barrier so people don't get too close to you. This virus is often spread by others when they get too close to you.
But that’s also my point Joe, they don’t need to get close to me (which they still do) because I can touch any one of the surfaces stated above and still get it. Only a hazmat suit with independent oxygen tanks can help stop transmission to a certain degree. This virus and it’s variants are with us for life now, and the sooner people accept this, the sooner we can all get back to normality. Adapt or die...it’s the way nature intended it. It’s called evolution baby!

Holliday1881

Banned
Banned
When did doctors know smoking was bad?

Tobacco industry insiders by the mid 1950s clearly knew their product was dangerous. In December of 1953, when Hill and Knowlton was exploring how to respond to the uproar surrounding the publication of carcinogens in cigarette smoke, one tobacco company research director commented in a confidential interview: 'Boy!
‘Boy! Wouldn't it be wonderful if our company was first to produce a cancer-free cigarette. What we could do to competition!’ Another remarked on how fortunate it was ‘for us’ (ie, for cigarette manufacturers) that smokers were engaging in ‘a habit they can't break’.
The mid-1950s cancer consensus was clearly (albeit privately) shared by the companies; and the reality of addiction was also starting to be conceded—at least in internal industry documents.

UK cigarette makers also commented on the lung cancer consensus. Three leading scientists from British American Tobacco (BAT) visited the USA in 1958, for example, and found that with only one exception all of those consulted—including dozens of experts inside and outside the industry—believed that a cancer connection had been proved.

(that one exception was the guy mentioned in the commercial apparently)

reading on - non-sciencie types (conservatives) always lag behind the enlightened.

Popular knowledge—and ignorance
History is, among other things, the study of origins and outcomes—how things come to be and disappear. The presumption is often of a certain contingency: how things turn out is often the outcome of struggles among competing agents. We've reviewed here the rise of scholarly knowledge of cigarette carcinogenicity, but it is also important to realise that popular knowledge, too, has a history. Scholars don't pay enough attention to what non-scholars think about the world, the proper study of which is agnotology.
What is the history of popular knowledge of the tobacco lung cancer link? What efforts have been made to generate ignorance?

One source of information for the history of ignorance is the polling data amassed by professional opinion research agencies and their tobacco industry counterparts. In 1954, for example, George Gallup sampled a broad swath of the US public to ask: ‘do you think cigarette smoking is one of the causes of lung cancer, or not?’ 41% answered ‘yes’, with the remainder answering either ‘no’ or ‘undecided’.
Even large numbers of doctors remained unconvinced. In 1960, in a poll organised by the American Cancer Society, only a third of all US doctors agreed that cigarette smoking should be considered ‘a major cause of lung cancer’. This same poll revealed that 43% of all American doctors were still smoking cigarettes on a regular basis, with occasional users accounting for another 5%.
With half of all doctors smoking, it should come as no surprise that most Americans remained unconvinced of life-threatening harms from the habit.

...and here's one for "Mr Science" (never try and fool someone who not only has 50 IQ points more than you to play with, by also greater educational and practical experience than you - get me, pedro?).
Please be reminded that SARS CoV-2 is not spread by surface contact, but by transmission through air - aerosol and droplet which is what masks help mitigate.

Abstract
The science around the use of masks by the public to impede COVID-19 transmission is advancing rapidly. In this narrative review, we develop an analytical framework to examine mask usage, synthesizing the relevant literature to inform multiple areas: population impact, transmission characteristics, source control, wearer protection, sociological considerations, and implementation considerations. A primary route of transmission of COVID-19 is via respiratory particles, and it is known to be transmissible from presymptomatic, paucisymptomatic, and asymptomatic individuals. Reducing disease spread requires two things: limiting contacts of infected individuals via physical distancing and other measures and reducing the transmission probability per contact. The preponderance of evidence indicates that mask wearing reduces transmissibility per contact by reducing transmission of infected respiratory particles in both laboratory and clinical contexts. Public mask wearing is most effective at reducing spread of the virus when compliance is high. Given the current shortages of medical masks, we recommend the adoption of public cloth mask wearing, as an effective form of source control, in conjunction with existing hygiene, distancing, and contact tracing strategies. Because many respiratory particles become smaller due to evaporation, we recommend increasing focus on a previously overlooked aspect of mask usage: mask wearing by infectious people (“source control”) with benefits at the population level, rather than only mask wearing by susceptible people, such as health care workers, with focus on individual outcomes. We recommend that public officials and governments strongly encourage the use of widespread face masks in public, including the use of appropriate regulation.

..one may read on, but that would require literacy, an uncommon trait among cons.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

iu
The bitches cant fukin read!

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
The blue surgical masks are at best...12% effective with covid....but can cause health problems of their own.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
The blue surgical masks are at best...12% effective with covid....but can cause health problems of their own.
I think even at 12% is a stretch, and even then they can only be used once for that small percentage to be effective. The virus will remain on the masks for a full seven days. The pandemic proves that the majority of humankind as we know it, are essentially stupid.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

iu

It's sole protection is if a person is actively infected and shedding virus load then masks like that cab limit droplet spray from coughing or sneezing. For the uninfected they literally do nothing and it says so on the side of the box.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

The study I saw said they were 10% effective and only for people actively infected to reduce droplet spray. So they serve a purpose but not for any healthy nonsymptomatic person.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

iu

It's sole protection is if a person is actively infected and shedding virus load then masks like that cab limit droplet spray from coughing or sneezing. For the uninfected they literally do nothing and it says so on the side of the box.

The main thing masks provide is a psychological barrier which is more or less a statement to others not to stand too close to you.

Maybe it can be construed as a somewhat antisocial gesture by others, but it prevents them from standing too close in proximity to the mask wearer.

I figger this is how this bioweapon is spread - in close physical contact So the further you stand away from a potential carrier the safe you are.

I'd see these joggers in the park and I always kept my distance from them too - cause their exhaust the exhaled could drop on a person as they pass by them.

Similarly if I see a dodgy looking unkempt person like a homeless guy/bum, I just avoided them altogether and walked on the opposite side of the street.

By observing these social distancing guidelinws, I haven't caught even so much as the cold since the pandemic began.

I do think COVID is a bioweapon manufactured in a lab and not your everyday naturally occurring virus.

But that's just my theory - and I admit, it has no scientific basis - it's just a feeling/hunch.